Lutherans voted today to allow gay clergy

CADude12

There is a God. You are not him. I'm not either.
Sep 28, 2008
Boston
✟7,990.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
"We can learn not to define ourselves by negation," Foster said. "By not only saying what we are against, which always seems to be the same — against gay people. We should be against poverty. I wish we were as zealous about that."

So, they are not against gays, but against poverty. Just like a church captivated by the social gospel, instead of the Gospel of salvation.

What they are also against is the New Testament teaching on sexual morality. Not only do they not believe in the life transforming power of the Gospel, they don't believe in the need for it.

There are probably gay clergy in every denomination. But to give it sanction, and blessing? :confused:

Upvote 0

green wolverine

to God be the glory!
May 9, 2009
✟16,164.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So, they are not against gays, but against poverty. Just like a church captivated by the social gospel, instead of the Gospel of salvation.

What they are also against is the New Testament teaching on sexual morality. Not only do they not believe in the life transforming power of the Gospel, they don't believe in the need for it.

There are probably gay clergy in every denomination. But to give it sanction, and blessing? :confused:

Tolerance of anything and everything is the newest virtue, and without it, we're just a bunch of cold-hearted bigots. Or so it seems....

A church that sanctions sin ceases to be a true church. I hope they lose a lot of members.

Reactions: McWilliams
Upvote 0

ziggy29

Supporter
Aug 22, 2009
Pacific Northwest
✟27,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lutherians make big mistake t o do thiis.
Correction -- 55% of ELCA voting members. They are not all of the ELCA, let alone all Lutherans. All significant Lutheran bodies other than the ELCA remain strongly opposed.

We're in a conservative ELCA congregation in a fairly small town in Texas. I can't see this going over too well. I'm probably more liberal than most of the congregation and I'm rather uneasy about this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TwistTim

Whimsical, Witty, Wacky, Waiting, Wise Guy
Jan 27, 2007
Ork
✟22,644.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Do I hear a split coming? from Ziggy29's post it sounds like it.... if he is more liberal than most in his church and doesn't approve it... surely the conservatives will either try and take back the church, a la Southern Baptists - Conservative Resurgence or will flee en mass, a la Episcopalians becoming Anglicans......

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
May our prayers for this denomination help to promote the atmosphere of biblical compliance. The Episcopal/Anglican Church of North America split was a LONG time coming...not sure what will happen in this case.

I hate to see splits...but it's sometimes a necessary thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

alatir

Aug 1, 2007
✟15,712.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
You can always find another Church or plant one yourself. Many meeting places in the early Chuch were in people's homes.

I don't attend the Lutheran Church myself, they are pretty liberal already. But greater evil is that there is only two congregations (that i know of) that affirm the doctrines of grace completely. Maybe I should consider starting a church :) Reformed Baptist Church of Finland

Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Currently reside in Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't attend the Lutheran Church myself, they are pretty liberal already. But greater evil is that there is only two congregations (that i know of) that affirm the doctrines of grace completely. Maybe I should consider starting a church :) Reformed Baptist Church of Finland

Give it prayerful consideration. As brother Augustine said, Do what you can and pray for what you cannot yet do.

Are you familiar with Mikael Thomsen ? He is a church planter in Denmark. Perhaps you can contact him about the matter ?

YouTube - Mikael Thomsen

YouTube - Saved from the Wrath of God

YouTube - Back to the Gospel by Mikael Thomsen

Upvote 0