Lutheranism and an Ordo Salutis, do we have one?

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I've only recently come across the term Ordo Salutis, and it has largely been from our Reformed brethren. When Googling this it seems chiefly to be a Reformed idea--a systematic order of salvation.

When trying to find the Lutheran take on this, it is usually Reformed persons contrasting the Reformed position with the Lutheran position--but I cannot actually find a Lutheran position from a Lutheran source on the matter.

My instinct, based on my own knowledge of our theological tradition, is that we do not usually "do" Systematic Theology, at least not in the way our Reformed brethren do. Our theology isn't so much systematic as it is confessional, which I have generally taken as axiomatic and as one example of the difference between Lutherans and Reformed. Since we don't really "do" Systematic Theology, that there probably isn't much of an emphasis on an Ordo Salutis. But, again, this is really only my instinctual response--I don't know, hence the reason for my thread here to ask.

Do we have an Ordo Salutis?

Because it seems to me that, more-or-less, the Lutheran way of looking at things is to confess that our salvation is by grace alone through faith, the precise "order" of how this or that takes place isn't very important except that we confess that God alone accomplishes our salvation by grace alone, through faith, on Christ's account alone.

This question is chiefly the result of this thread here: https://www.christianforums.com/threads/is-regeneration-justification.8024417/ though I've noticed the topic of Ordo Salutis (a term I, for the most part, am new to) arise in several threads across CF.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: RC1970

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I've only recently come across the term Ordo Salutis, and it has largely been from our Reformed brethren. When Googling this it seems chiefly to be a Reformed idea--a systematic order of salvation.

When trying to find the Lutheran take on this, it is usually Reformed persons contrasting the Reformed position with the Lutheran position--but I cannot actually find a Lutheran position from a Lutheran source on the matter.

My instinct, based on my own knowledge of our theological tradition, is that we do not usually "do" Systematic Theology, at least not in the way our Reformed brethren do. Our theology isn't so much systematic as it is confessional, which I have generally taken as axiomatic and as one example of the difference between Lutherans and Reformed. Since we don't really "do" Systematic Theology, that there probably isn't much of an emphasis on an Ordo Salutis. But, again, this is really only my instinctual response--I don't know, hence the reason for my thread here to ask.

Do we have an Ordo Salutis?

Because it seems to me that, more-or-less, the Lutheran way of looking at things is to confess that our salvation is by grace alone through faith, the precise "order" of how this or that takes place isn't very important except that we confess that God alone accomplishes our salvation by grace alone, through faith, on Christ's account alone.

This question is chiefly the result of this thread here: https://www.christianforums.com/threads/is-regeneration-justification.8024417/ though I've noticed the topic of Ordo Salutis (a term I, for the most part, am new to) arise in several threads across CF.

-CryptoLutheran
When I was fellowshipping with the Lutherans (I am now Reformed), I had this same question and mostly received the same reply, which was that Lutherans are not, generally, systematic.

I read Philip Melancthon's Systematic Theology, but I don't believe he covered it either.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
This is the only Lutheran source I've found. I really like Pastor Jordan Cooper. Hope you enjoy it.

This is super helpful, thanks!

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
An ordo salutis is just not as important from a Lutheran point-of-view. Especially because we believe that baptism is a real adoption, that children and adults that are baptized are really made part of God's family.

This sacramental emphasis is something that those outside our tradition ,and even some within, do not fully appreciate.

Upvote 0