• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Lutheran view on end of life issues

Discussion in 'LCMS / WELS / ELS / LCC' started by Silverback, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

+670
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    I was diagnosed in 2014 with cancer, it had spread to my liver by the time it was diagnosed. I have had multiple procedures, and surgeries, However, 5 years later I am still not in remission. The cancer drugs I am on have stabilized my condition, and for today, I am Ok.

Over the last few months though, I think I have been going down hill a bit, and when I start progressing again, I think things will come to an end rather quickly.

So, my question is, can I as a Christian (lutheran) just let nature take it's course, or, should I grasp at any straw to live?

I have been to the precipice several times since 2014, but, for what ever the reason, I fought my way back (I give God the credit, actually)

Please let me know what you think, anyone may reply, not just lutherans.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,691
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    I am not a Catholic, but I believe Catholic teaching says that it is acceptable to let nature take it's course.

3. Anthony2019

Anthony2019 Pax et bonum! CF Ambassadors Supporter

+8,799
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    There is no easy answer to that question, except that you should take courage in the fact that the Lord will be with you at all times, leading and guiding you. He will never leave you or forsake you. I pray that you will experience his comfort and peace.

4. tampasteve

tampasteve ✞ High Church Lutheran ✞ Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team Supporter

+4,866
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I do not think this is a theological question, more of a personal one.

Most Lutherans would not agree with assisted-suicide or other such actions, but this is not the same as that. There is no shame in choosing to treat conditions or choosing to let come what may. God calls us all to make choices, some harder than others. In the end we are His and he will welcome us.

5. Julian of Norwich

Julian of Norwich English Catholic

+362
    United States
    Anglican
    Single
    US-American-Solidarity
    Very well put!

6. Newtheran

Newtheran Well-Known Member

+565
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Republican
    While assisted suicide and euthanasia are both clearly against Christian morality, there is no requirement that a Christian who is faced with a terminal illness must exhaust all potential life extending therapies regardless of their potential benefit and side effects.

These are intensely individual decisions that must be made in light of your own specific illness, the potential treatments, your family, and God through your own prayers. Just make sure that your decision making process isn't being influenced by depression or something else short term.

God bless