• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Lutheran Rosicrucianism

Discussion in 'Theologia Crucis - Lutherans' started by Ishraqiyun, May 1, 2011.

1. A Shield of Turquoise

A Shield of Turquoise New Member

+34
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I realize it's a dead thread but it's an interesting topic all the same.

2. tampasteve

tampasteve Lutheran Messianic Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,261
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Constitution
    It sure is an interesting topic, I just like to point it out for people that may not realize. :) Sometimes people miss the dates and wonder why the original people do not reply back to them.

3. MarkRohfrietsch

MarkRohfrietsch Unapologetic Apologist Supporter

+3,704
    Lutheran
    Married
    Gnosticism by any other name is still Gnosticism.

4. mark kennedy

mark kennedy Natura non facit saltum Supporter

+7,241
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Rosicrucian mysticism had one goal at it's core, enlightenment. Like all mystics they sought a kind of ultimate enlightenment, pretty much unknown in the church. The church has always had mystics, Rosicrucian may represent one brand of such pursuits. I don't know how you connect Rosicrucian mysticism with Lutheran theology, the two couldn't be more different.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. A Shield of Turquoise

+34
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    How do you define "enlightenment"? Because in Christian discourse enlightenment or illumination is often used as a synonym for baptism. Likewise the Small Catechism stats that the Holy Spirit has "enlightened me with his gifts". Of course that doesn't mean that Rosicrucians meant the same thing but they seem to have considered themselves Christians and their philosophy as a dimension of Christianity.

"Mysticism" is another tricky term. Oftentimes the term is applied to any aspect of Christian practice that delves beyond the merely intellectual or forensic approach to faith ("I believe in A,B,C as stated in the X confession"). In that sense pious (not necessarily pietist) Christians cannot help but being mystics.

What's bad is when someone claims to have some special knowledge beyond or contrary to what is given in the sacraments and the Word. One can of course explore these latter to varying, indeed infinite, depths.

6. MarkRohfrietsch

MarkRohfrietsch Unapologetic Apologist Supporter

+3,704
    Lutheran
    Married

7. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,454
    United States
    Lutheran
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    That's all new to me. The LCMS is explictly against Freemasonry, but the ELCA takes no stance on the issue of Masonic membership, however, Christian and Masonic rites should not be mixed together at a funeral.

8. Newtheran

Newtheran Well-Known Member

+550
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Republican
    My personal opinion is that the Rosicrucian movement is a pagan cult that is incompatible with orthodox Christianity:

"In his work "Silentium Post Clamores" (1617), the rosicrucian Michel Maier (1568–1622) described rosicrucianism as having arisen from a "Primordial Tradition" in the following statement: "Our origins are Egyptian, Brahmanic, derived from the mysteries of Eleusis and Samothrace, the Magi of Persia, the Pythagoreans, and the Arabs."

9. A Shield of Turquoise

+34
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It was not uncommon for Christian intellectuals at the time to think of themselves as continuators of a grand philosophic/ mystic tradition from antiquity. This is pretty typical renaissance stuff and it definitely fed into the reformation. Luther kept the old pagan thinkers at arms length but many of his contemporaries did not. Zwingli for instance was pretty much a Platonist- his sermon "On Providence" is almost purely pagan.

10. LaBèlla

LaBèlla ❣️ His little lady ❣️ Supporter

+3,986
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    I’m familiar with the teachings and followed a Hermetic path for a time which inevitably leads to Uncle Al and additional problems. No matter the road it always leads to magic and Egypt will come up eventually. Many of the practices use Christian elements but its all occult.

“Cloak” is an accurate description. But the further you go the clearer the roots become. Its demonic.

11. A Shield of Turquoise

+34
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I'm not sure the roots are particularly clear at all. Do these practices really have any resemblance to actual religion as practiced in ancient Egypt or Zoroastrian Iran, or...? It doesn't seem so. Rather it all goes back to the same religious/ intellectual atmosphere that Christianity emerged from- Hellenistic mystery religions (and Christianity is in many ways a Hellenistic mystery religion). When Plato was claiming some continuity with Egypt via Pythagoras I think this was more of a literary device than a serious assertion. The later Hermeticists took it quite seriously but I don't think it holds up when a real comparison is made.

12. JM

JM pre·des·ti·nar·i·an Supporter

+2,103
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others