Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
From what I heard many of the younger LCMS Pastors are beginning(Like my friend who wrote the article) to see the value in what Martin Luther did in his Mariology. This is wonderful and brings us one step closer to unity!
Even though your OP link and the quotes you posted by Martin Luther himself are still not at an equivalent level of Mariologies.

Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Even though your OP link and the quotes you posted by Martin Luther himself are still not at an equivalent level of Mariologies.
That is true they are not fully equivalent to our Catholic understanding but if Lutheran ministers can at least come to the realizations that Dr. Luther did about Mary like her perpetual virginity, her sinless nature, and Bodily Assumption, and her role of Queenship then that is a great bit closer to the Catholic view .

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If it is found to be idolatry , what then ?
Idolatry comes from 2 words (Idol and Latria) or Adoration of someone other then God. We give Mary Hyper Dulia(veneration) not Latria to Mary. No one makes Mary a Goddess or offers sacrifice to her. Sacrifice and adoration is reserved to God alone. So no no idolatry here.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Purposefully misspelling Dr. Luther’s name just comes off as disrespectful to me.
That was his original family name, and the one he was known by in his early years before his fame in other countries. ---Staff Edit---.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do admit to typing his name with two D's instead of correctly with only one....

Martin Luther was born on November 10, 1483, in the German town of Eisleben, the first son of Hans and Margarette Luder (as the name was spelled at this stage; it was later Latinized to the more familiar “Luther”).5 He was named after Saint Martin of Tours, whose festival fell on the following day, when Luther was baptized. Anxious to improve his employment prospects, Hans moved the following year to the neighboring town of Mansfeld, where he established a small copper mining business. By 1500 the family had become wealthy by the standards of the region. Having himself risen from the ranks of the German peasantry, Hans was determined to see his son rise still further and bring both status and income to the family. He began to plan his son’s future. He would become a lawyer — then, as now, a career with excellent financial prospects.

Note#5: The best critical biography is Martin Brecht, Martin Luther, 3 vols. (Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1990–94).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I do admit to typing his name with two D's instead of correctly with only one....

Martin Luther was born on November 10, 1483, in the German town of Eisleben, the first son of Hans and Margarette Luder (as the name was spelled at this stage; it was later Latinized to the more familiar “Luther”).5 He was named after Saint Martin of Tours, whose festival fell on the following day, when Luther was baptized. Anxious to improve his employment prospects, Hans moved the following year to the neighboring town of Mansfeld, where he established a small copper mining business. By 1500 the family had become wealthy by the standards of the region. Having himself risen from the ranks of the German peasantry, Hans was determined to see his son rise still further and bring both status and income to the family. He began to plan his son’s future. He would become a lawyer — then, as now, a career with excellent financial prospects.
You’re right I just forgot. My apologies.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You’re right I just forgot. My apologies.
That's OK. As Anastasia can well tell you, I am, by this time, fully expectant of the reactively negative responses many of my posts engender on this particular site.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
just a footnote from Yahweh's Word: better to be poor, and honest,
than rich by being dishonest.
He got scared by a very close lightening strike, I think it was, during a walk in a storm. Crying out to St. Anne (I think it was her, even though he wasn't directly under her watch, not being a pregnant mother LOL) he swore he would join a monastery if she saved him. It infuriated his father when he quit school to become a monk.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's OK. As Anastasia can well tell you, I am, by this time, fully expectant of the reactively negative responses many of my posts engender on this particular site.
I admit I was ignorant of that fact. I do apologize to you. I was wrong.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I admit I was ignorant of that fact. I do apologize to you. I was wrong.
I've been kicked off here two or three times.... not for saying anything wrong, but for not saying it "sweetly" enough. It's kind of a sensitive crowd. LOL

• Informative
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Here's is a fairly resent blog from an official LCMS source and respected spokes person on their perspective on the treatment of BVM.

Mary, Mary, quite contrary

• Winner
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here's is a fairly resent blog from an official LCMS source and respected spokes person on their perspective on the treatment of BVM.

Mary, Mary, quite contrary
Thanks for posting this. I appreciate it as it also reflects the views of many especially older Lutherans. One thing that always disappoints me about Pastor Weedon(As opposed to my Pastor friend David who wrote the Marian article I posted) is that Pastor Will Weedon can be rude, and a bit anti-Catholic in his presentation. I remember hearing him on Issues ETC and he can really be ignorant of things Catholic. Unlike my pastor friend David who has studied the Catholic theology Pastor Weedon seems not to understand the Catholic theology of the intercession and communion of saints(among other things). In fact I have often thought about dialoging with Pastor Weedon on issues ETC about the issues I feel he misunderstands but I was warned not to and told he may not be the most fair in dialog.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something that I've noticed, too.... more Protestant and non-denom Christians asking questions about salvation, giving descriptions of salvation which sound remarkably like Catholic-Orthodox understandings of salvation, and being more willing to question what role our actions and lives have in determining where we go after we die. It's awesome.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,902.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think that's a completely separate set of issues.

I do think there's been more awareness particularly of Orthodox scholarship (not always easily accessible in the past, the internet has made some things much easier), and more willingness to think about different approaches to soteriology etc. For myself I find Orthodox understandings of some things - ecclesiology in particular - deeply enriching.

But that doesn't stop me believing that seeking the intercession of the saints is just wrong.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which helps, I think, some folks to begin to re-think the basics of Reformation theology. If the Reformers got salvation wrong, what else have we maybe stepped away from prematurely? Or needlessly thrown out? Did the guys living 500 years after Christ really know better than the guys living 1,500 or 1,980 years after Christ? Even if they did and believed things we don't? Well, maybe they did. That's not a bad place to start.

Upvote 0