IreneAdler

more binah in her finger than in your whole body
Oct 12, 2009
✟14,892.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
the article isn't a great read... (just don't like the author's reasoning skills... not even about the topic, just in general)

I'm not Lutheran so eh is the best I can do. Many groups already support these people. So it's not a really new idea.

Upvote 0

Beauty4Ashes

All that I need, is a song in my heart. . .
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
✟28,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the article isn't a great read... (just don't like the author's reasoning skills... not even about the topic, just in general)

I'm not Lutheran so eh is the best I can do. Many groups already support these people. So it's not a really new idea.

Yea, I found it a bit choppy to read as well.

It's a shame but nothing like this is really much of a surprise anymore these days.

Upvote 0

metherion

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
✟13,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, I say good on em. I'm glad that yet another place has opened up where our brothers and sister in Christ who have same-sex attractions don't need to fear losing jobs/positions/pensions/etc, are accepted, are free from condemnation, etc.

And plus, the article mentioned Garrison Keillor. WOOOOOOO.

Metherion

Reactions: Oddish
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Keep in mind that there are like, 3 or 4 branches/synods of Lutheranism, some are more conservative and traditional/orthodox than others.

I've never been to an ELCA Lutheran church (which is known as the liberal one and the one mentioned in the article), but I have been to a WELS Church and the Church I've been attending is LCMA, and those two have both been theologically sound from what I have witnessed.

Upvote 0
D

DougyP

Keep in mind that there are like, 3 or 4 branches/synods of Lutheranism, some are more conservative and traditional/orthodox than others.

I've never been to an ELCA Lutheran church (which is known as the liberal one and the one mentioned in the article), but I have been to a WELS Church and the Church I've been attending is LCMA, and those two have both been theologically sound from what I have witnessed.

That is exactly the point I was going to make. Saying the Lutheren Church is open to homosexuality is like saying the Presbyterian Church is open to it. But in fact there two branches of the Presbyterian Church and at least two in the Lutheran I know of (apperently three or four accourding to K9_Trainer above there). Not all branches of these churches are open to it. The PCA (presbyterian church in america) does not allow members to live a homosexual lifestyle and retain membership in the church. The PCA practices "Church Dicipline" in which usually pastors confront members about sin and help them overcome thier sin. We do it keep ourselves in check so we aren't running amuck in a possibly destructive lifestyle and to streangthen our relationship with God.

Some people don't like the idea of a Pastor or elder confronting the congregation members about thier sin. But it isn't as if the pastors go around looking for sinners. If it is brought to there attention they will deal with it. There are no guidlines other than scriptures (have more than one person present and so forth. I can't say I know them).

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

ProAntiRevolution

Mar 27, 2010
✟2,264.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Why is this news? The ELCA has been like that for years, and the Missouri and Wisconsin synods disagree with their stance. The European state Lutheran churches probably come down more like the ELCA on the subject. But I think it should be noted that even within the ELCA and European state Lutheran churches there are pastors and lay members that do not agree with that. So it's rather unfair to paint the Lutheran community as monolithic and single minded.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

toastface_grillah

Not to worry! If it's about homosexuality (which is a no-no to discuss), the thread'll close soon enough.
Nothing new to add. I attended an ELCA church during my middle and high school years (dropped out in the 10th grade), and never knew they had anti-gay policies to abolish. That said, it looks more like a formality than anything of true significance.

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
All I can say is that I hope this measure disenchants members and that the church loses members and potential members instead of what the leaders hope for, an increase in membership.

Because that is what it is about. Societal pressure (real or perceived) and the perception that it may hurt membership. Best case scenario is that more faithful churches will increase in membership while the whoring churches are looked on for what they are - willing to commit doctrinal adultery for $$, and in the process further the dilution of Jesus's words, and increase the confusion for anyone who seriously studies the Bible.

Then again, seeing as some modern versions of the Bible sort of tip-toe around the subject, maybe this won't be as difficult as it sounds.

I have coinciding scorn and pity for the modern pastor caught in this - they always have to balance their income (their paying members) with doctrine and popular perception.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.