Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I had a similar thread a while back on here about depression, but maybe this is worth its own thread?

What experiences do you all have with Lutheran approaches to addiction?
Since you're Orthodox, I don't know why you are wondering about how Lutherans deal with addiction.

Some of the 12 Steps have Orthodox counterparts.

Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Since you're Orthodox, I don't know why you are wondering about how Lutherans deal with addiction.

Some of the 12 Steps have Orthodox counterparts.
I thought we were allowed to post in fellowship and ask questions on the various subforums.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I thought we were allowed to post in fellowship and ask questions on the various subforums.
ok.

Sorry I didn't understand.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I had a similar thread a while back on here about depression, but maybe this is worth its own thread?

I don't think there is anything like an official or even traditional position on that. My guess is people would tend to go to AA or psychiatric/medical approaches to addiction.

Lutherans have relatively low rates of drug and alcohol problems. I think the hope is that by having a supportive community and confidence in God's grace, people will not have their lives disintegrate in the first place. If things get really bad and out of control, I think the attitude is to leave things to psychiatric/medical experts or to parachurch ministries or support groups.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟26,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Substance abuse has both psychological and physiological components which need medical attention. we don't run around casting out the spirits of drug abuse and alcoholism in the divine liturgy.

Upvote 0