Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
An article in First Things by Phillip Cary. Some parts I thought were good, such as the part quoted below. Other parts I disagreed with. See what you think.

When Luther teaches justification by faith alone, he is not requiring us to put faith in faith. On the contrary, he wants us putting faith in the Gospel alone. Any account of faith that focuses on the experience of faith—any theological turn to subjectivity, such as in liberal theology—has missed Luther’s point. What we experience, for the most part, is our own sin and unbelief. Faith means turning away from our experience to take hold of Christ alone by believing, against all doubt and temptation, that what the Gospel tells us about Christ given for us is really true.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexDTX

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An article in First Things by Phillip Cary. Some parts I thought were good, such as the part quoted below. Other parts I disagreed with. See what you think.
Yes, I am in agreement. Our faith is in the finished works of Christ, and nothing about ourselves.

Thanks for reminding people that this is the 500th anniversary of nailing the 95 thesis on the Wittenberg chapel door by Luther. Because of that act, millions have come to Christ by faith and will live forever.

• Friendly
Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0