Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is part of the flesh. It could also be an indication that you may not be called to celibacy seeing that Paul said that it is better to marry than to burn. I'm not trying to influence your choice, but to encourage you to seek the Lord to see if you might need to hear from Him about it.

I would agree that if someone is in a constant battle with sexual lust, then celibacy is not his gift.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Joined2krist

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2015
✟427,078.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Lust is a conscious action. You can stop it by cleaning the things you allow into your mind. Be warned, there will be times when the devil will bring images into your thoughts to entice you again, it's a battle you can win but it's tough. Be prayerful, God bless

Upvote 0

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does lust in one form or another ever stop hounding us when we are celibate? Any sure way of getting rid of it short of losing celibacy?

We have been told to "gird up the loins of our mind" and to "take every thought captive." It is our mind that allows lust to flourish in the flesh and if we are bothered by lust then we have not yet achieved what we must achieve. Nearly all Christians fuel the flames of lust by the use of television and the filth is spews out on an unending bases. The Israelites after returning from their bondage to Babylon gave priority to two things the rebuilding of the wall and the construction of the altar. The altar represented the death that would be necessary and the wall represented the separation from the world. Romans 12:1 says that we are offer up ourselves as a living sacrifice and to do this on a daily bases. The sacrifice is going to be very difficult if we are continuously indulging the flesh with Hollywood filth, music, food, money, fashion. The Israelites made the walls secure and during the day they carried on commerce with the world then at night they pushed the world out and closed the gates. If you are allowing the world into your home after the day is over through the airways then you are fighting a loosing battle. Lust can be controlled even as a celibate if you have the will. "When your will is to do the will of the Father then you will know...." John 7:17

Reactions: Romans 8
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

Please keep posts and replies to the OP. This thread has had another clean today. If posts do not remain in compliance with the forum's SOP this thread could be closed.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Calvin_1985

Sep 1, 2018
Roanoke
✟22,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does lust in one form or another ever stop hounding us when we are celibate? Any sure way of getting rid of it short of losing celibacy?
It takes some time to rid yourself of it, but it is absolutely possible. It takes letting Father purge the roots of it out, not nipping at the symptoms. You have to go to the root of it. Read of Jesus words and imbibe upon His life.

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Not all libido is lust. Libido is a valid, God-given appetite. Lust happens when we go outside of proper channels to satisfy our libido.
I am surprised at what you are saying here. I guess I need to look it up to define where I am at in it.

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Googles take is huge so I picked a small biblical version if any of you are interested although it doesn't address the difference that saber has pointed.:

Dictionaries - Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology - Lust
Lust [N] [E]

A strong craving or desire, often of a sexual nature. Though used relatively infrequently (twenty-nine times) in Scripture, a common theme can be seen running through its occurrences. The word is never used in a positive context; rather, it is always seen in a negative light, relating primarily either to a strong desire for sexual immorality or idolatrous worship. In secular literature, the word indicates only a strong desire and can carry either good or bad connotations. The Greek word epithymia [ejpiqumiva] and the Hebrew words awah [h"w'a] and hamad [d;m'j] can themselves be used in a neutral or good sense (i.e., Matt 13:17 ). In these instances the New International Version does not translate the word as "lust." Rather, it is translated as "desire, " "longing, " and the like. The context surrounding the word lends to this translation in such instances. However, in Scripture, as translated in the New International Version, the word is used for a strong desire that is negative and forbidden. Indeed, the unregenerate are governed and controlled by deceitful lusts or desires ( Eph 2:3 ; 4:22 ; Col 3:5 ; Titus 2:12 ).
In the New Testament, the word moves from referring primarily to idolatry to referring instead almost exclusively to sexual immorality. While the idea of idolatry is not completely absent, the primary intention is as a strong, inordinate desire for sexual relations. This sexual immorality, however, is not intended to represent actions alone since lust occurs first as a thought in the mind. The warning is to stop the lust before it moves into the realm of action. For instance, Jesus commands that a man is not to even look at a woman lustfully (i.e., with a desire to have sexual relations with her) because that is the same as committing the physical act of adultery ( Matt 5:27-30 ); both are sin.

In each of the texts where Paul uses the word, it clearly is condemnatory of sexual immorality, both homosexual ( Rom 1:26-27 ) and heterosexual. The command from Paul is to utterly destroy those inordinate desires that most often manifest themselves in the area of sexuality (cf. Col 3:5 ). Paul continues to warn that we must learn to control our bodies and be sanctified rather than giving in to our base desires, which is characteristic of those who do not know God (cf. 1 Thess 4:3-5 ).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
OSCARR, I am not sure why one of your posts was deleted. I found it to be the most important to me of all of them. Fortunately, I had copied it. But am sorry for others that it might have helped.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ummm, what's an OP?
It stands for the Original Post, that is, the first post, the thread's topic.

It can also stand for the Original Poster, the thread's originator.

• Informative
Reactions: ilovejcsog
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,716.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I stopped praying for a wife, for if God granted me a wife, He would be leading me into adultery. That seems wrong to me, thus I doubt that God would do such a thing.

Also, I've learned that the Body is made for the Lord and the Lord for the Body. Our bodies are to be indwelt by the Spirit, so sex doesn't even seem appealing to me anymore, and believe me, I was a total sex addict. Man, I was terrible. We can over come this problem....we just have to have the faith of Abraham.
Hello, Matthew 19:26 "..With man THIS is impossible but with God ALL THINGS are POSSIBLE. ."

Upvote 0

Thess

Oct 31, 2018
Chelan
✟19,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello, Matthew 19:26 "..With man THIS is impossible but with God ALL THINGS are POSSIBLE. ."
Makes sense to me, for who are we to say what God will and will not do. :)

God has entrusted me with much, and for that I am honored. I don't really need anything. So fortunate.

Reactions: pasifika
Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,716.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Makes sense to me, for who are we to say what God will and will not do. :)

God has entrusted me with much, and for that I am honored. I don't really need anything. So fortunate.
Hello, we only need Him..Romans 8:31 "..If God is FOR US who can be against Us" We are All sinners...As Paul puts in 1Tim1:15 " Christ Jesus came into the world to Save sinners of whom I am the Worst.."

Upvote 0

Thess

Oct 31, 2018
Chelan
✟19,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello, we only need Him..Romans 8:31 "..If God is FOR US who can be against Us" We are All sinners...As Paul puts in 1Tim1:15 " Christ Jesus came into the world to Save sinners of whom I am the Worst.."

The opinion of God is all that matters. For I aim to not be the friend of the world, for if I am, I am an enemy of God. We should find our value in God, not humans. :)

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,716.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The opinion of God is all that matters. For I aim to not be the friend of the world, for if I am, I am an enemy of God. We should find our value in God, not humans. :)
Hello, yes we are in our current state stand condemn before Him as the result of our sins. So why is our opinion being matter if we are in sin and in condemnation..and why we are to find values in other humans if we(humans) are all sinners? But thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ..Romans 7:25

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Lust can be extremely hard to fight. I know from experience.

What i am trying to do these days is to try and picture Our Lord on the cross, suffering for me / us instead of those sinful thoughts of lust. I offer up my thoughts, my weaknesses to God. My lusts, my sins. I place them at His feet.

I ask, that, 'God's will be done'.

I have lost so many battles with lust etc but, i am determined, with the help of God, to WIN the war!

God bless you OP.
Thank you very much. I wish you a victory against this, with Gods help you will be victorious.

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
You're funny, do you really expect anyone to answer that personally, lol. Let us presume that it is unless someone wants to put themselves out there. We can only speak personally and that is TMI.

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're funny, do you really expect anyone to answer that personally, lol. Let us presume that it is unless someone wants to put themselves out there. We can only speak personally and that is TMI.

I'm assuming we're all adults here. Do you find this topic embarrassing?

Upvote 0