variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It's weird that people didn't realize this. We're not running out of lumber we just didn't have enough cut and shipped to meet demand for a bit.

Just like we have the capacity to meet the toilet paper, cat food and microchip demand on earth, but it isn't necessarily running fast enough to meet any demand spike.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
HI johnboy,

I think you'll find those 'rapidly falling prices' are still only at the wholesale commodity level. I was in Lowes just yesterday because I'm waiting for prices to fall to buy a couple of pieces of plywood and some PT lumber to build a small deck. The 3/4 plywood was $76. I didn't even bother to look at the PT lumber because I saw that the plain 2x4 ww stud was over $8. So, unless your market is a lot different than mine, you've still got some waiting to do. However, I am greatly joyed that it should soon be moving down pretty quickly.

The lumber commodity price was over $1,600 in May and 2 days ago crept just under $1,000 for a short period. Right this minute it is $967, but I'd still like to see it go to somewhere around $400 or better. But, it does seem to take some time for those falling commodity prices to be reflected in the store price.

Just as the article states, the prices they're quoting are for July deliveries.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Many shortages were caused by Wall Street panicking a year ago and dramatically cutting production. What happened was that the effect of COVID-19 on demand wasn't nearly as dramatic as the panic on Wall Street. The results are shortages of all kinds of things.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Many shortages were caused by Wall Street panicking a year ago and dramatically cutting production. What happened was that the effect of COVID-19 on demand wasn't nearly as dramatic as the panic on Wall Street. The results are shortages of all kinds of things.
Construction in my area, and I think most areas, was considered an "essential" industry.

I work in that industry and Ive never been so busy as during the pandemic.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,073.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

Wall Street cut production?

Upvote 0

Toynbee

Trump Won
Sep 22, 2011
✟40,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like I've been on Wall St and no sign at all of
a lumber mill.
Well, they used to produce something years ago:

trash.png

But now, with their electronic tools, I don't think they even produce that anymore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums