Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
“Now when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were completed, they brought Him to Jerusalem to present Him to the Lord” (Luke 2:22)

This is the reading of the King James Version, the New King James Version, the Douay-Rheims, Websters, etc. This reading is found in a late Greek manuscript (076), which is of the 14th century, but is no doubt the original of Luke, as we shall see.

In Leviticus chapter 12, in the Greek Septuagint version, which reflects what the original Hebrew says, reads in verse 6, “And when the days of her (autes) cleansing are fulfilled”. Luke in his Gospel, refers to the Law of Moses (verses 22-24), in which case, it was only the woman who became defiled, and needed to be purified. There is no evidence from the Old Testament, that either the husband, or child, needed purification.

The Old Latin New Testament, which dates from the 2nd century A.D., is from earlier Greek manuscripts. Some of these manuscripts read in Luke 2:22, “eius” (like the Codex Corbiensis, of the 5th or 6th century (B Metzger, The Text of the New Testament, p.74), which can be either masculine (him), or feminine (her). It is evident that the Old Latin means “her”.

Next we have the Latin Vulgate complied by the scholar Jerome in the 4th century A.D.. “eius” is also the reading found in the important Latin Vulgate Manuscript, the Codex Fuldensis, which is the work of Victor, Bishop of Capus, written between A.D. 541-546. Which can only mean “her”, as we have seen.

The best Latin manuscript of the Vulgate, is in the opinion of many scholars, the Codex Amiatinus, which is of the 7th century. This also reads “eius”.

There is no reason to assume, that the use of the Latin “eius” in any of the Versions, means other than “her”, as this is exactly what the Hebrew and Greek Old Testament has in Leviticus chapter 12. The Jewish Targum also has, “And when the days of her purification are completed”

“And when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were fulfilled, they brought him up to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord (as it is written in the law of the Lord, every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord) and to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of the Lord, a pair of turtle-doves, or two young pigeons.” (Jerome, NPNF2-06, p.765)

“as also the incidents reported by the same Luke to have occurred after the days of the purification of Mary were fulfilled” (Augustine, Harmony of the Gospels, Bk. II, 15)

Instead of “her purification” most of the Greek manuscripts have the reading “their purification”, as found in the majority of the English versions. As does the heretic Origen, who lived in the 3rd century.

This is a very good example in textual studies, where the evidence of the majority of the Greek manuscripts, and the oldest ones, do not have the correct reading. We shall see, that there are only two real choices here. Either we adopt the oldest reading, as found in Irenaeus, or, that of the Old Latin Version, and the single Greek manuscript of the 14th century, as found in the KJV, etc. It is very clear, that in the providence of Almighty God, that the original reading, which excludes any reference to either Jesus Christ, or Joseph, was preserved in the Old Latin version, Vulgate, and a single Greek manuscript, though of a late date!

Irenaeus (A.D. 130-202 ), who quotes this passage in Luke:

“And still further does Luke say in reference to the Lord: “When the days of purification were accomplished, they brought Him up to Jerusalem, to present Him before the Lord, as it is written in the law of the Lord, That every male opening the womb shall be called holy to the Lord; and that they should offer a sacrifice, as it is said in the law of the Lord, a pair of turtle-doves, or two young pigeons””

This is also the reading found in the Christian writer, Amphilochius of Iconium, who lived (A.D. 339-394). And, the early Egyptian version, known as the Bohairic, which dates from about the 3rd century A.D.. The Greek manuscript, 435, which dates from the 10th century, also omits any reference to “her/his/their”. As does the Coptic Bohairic version, which is from about the 6th century.

The earliest printed Greek New Testament, is the Complutensian Polyglot, which was published in 1514 under the direction of Cardinal Ximenes of Spain. It has the New Testament in Greek and Latin. It is the first version that has “autes (her)” in Luke 2:22. Theodore Beza, in his 1559 Greek/Latin edition, has “autes” and “Mariae” (Mary). In his note on this verse, he says that he uses Mary, “vt vitaremus ambiguitatem” (to avoid ambiguity). Over 150 years earlier, the English Reformer, John Wycliffe, in 1380, has in his New Testament, , “and aftir that the daies of purcacioun of marie weren fulfilled”. Some manuscripts of the Latin Vulgate read “Marie”. The 1560 Geneva version also has, “And when the dayes of her purificatio”, and it the margin note, “or, their”.

The reading “their” is an impossible one, as this suggests that, either it refers to “Joseph and Mary”, or “Jesus, Joseph and Mary”. In fact, this verse has been used by some, like the Encyclopaedia Biblica, to say that “their” must mean “Joseph and Mary”, and therefore shows that Joseph was the biological father of Jesus Christ, as he was “unclean”, due to Jesus’ birth, and needed purification.

“In 222 we read, further, that the days of their purification were fulfilled… the writer regarded Joseph as the actual father of Jesus ; otherwise he could not have thought of him at all as unclean…The whole of Lk. 2, accordingly, not only knows nothing of the virgin birth, but rests upon the opposite presupposition.” (T Cheyne and J Sutherland; Encyclopedia Biblica, Vol. III, pp. 2955-2956. 1902 ed)

Which is also an attack on the Virgin Conception of the Lord Jesus Christ!

Some also take “their” to mean “Jesus and Mary”, which then makes Jesus “unclean”, and needing “purification”, and a sin offering offered on His behalf (Luke 2:24). This then makes Jesus a sinner!

Even the Evangelical Greek scholar, Dr A T Robertson is unsure of the reading “their”:

“The days of their purification (hai hêmerai tou katharismou autôn). The old manuscripts have "their" (autôn) instead of "her" (autês) of the later documents. But it is not clear whether "their" refers to Mary and Joseph as is true of "they brought" or to Mary and the child. The mother was Levitically unclean for forty days after the birth of a son (Lev 12:1-8).” (Word Pictures, Volume II).

Dr Robertson is wrong to assume, that it could in nay way refer “to Mary and the child”, which is the sinless, Lord Jesus Christ!

Also the commentary of Jemeison, Faussett and Brown, where we read:

“But whether this is to be understood of mother and Babe together, or of Joseph and Mary, as the parents, the great fact that "we are shapen in iniquity, and in sin by our mothers conceived," which the Levitical rite was designed to proclaim, had no real place, and so could only be symbolically taught, in the present case; since "that which was conceived in the Virgin was of the Holy Spirit," and Joseph was only the Babe's legal father”

This would mean that Jesus Christ, the sinless Second Person of the Holy Trinity, was somehow “sin”, whether literally of symbolically, is absolutely impossible!

And, Matthew Henry:

“Many copies, and authentic ones, read auton for autes, the days of their purification, the purification both of the mother and of the child, for so it was intended to be by the law; and our Lord Jesus, though he had no impurity to be cleansed from, yet submitted to it, as he did to circumcision, because he was made sin for us

This “explanation” by Henry is nonsense. If Jesus Christ was “purified”, then it must mean that He was “unclean”, in the same way that Mary was. He did NOT “submit” to this “because he was made sin for us”! People like Henry are trying to “explain” the corrupt reading “their”, and using really impossible explanations. Even though Jesus Christ was baptized by John, He never did confess any sins while doing so, which was required. To be circumcised, was not because of any “sins”, so this example does not fit.

In fact, there are old versions of the New Testament, that actually have another reading, “his”, referring to Jesus Christ. Which is the reading of the Greek manuscript, Codex Bezae Cantabrigensis, of the 5th century. Also in the Old Syriac and Coptic Versions. These readings are quite impossible!

“and the days of his cleansing were finished, as it is written in the law of Moses. Then they took him up to Jerusalem” (F Crawford Burkitt; Old Syriac, the Curetonian; Evangelion DA-Mepharreshe, Vol. I, p.255. 5th century)

The old Egyptian version, called the Sahidic, of the 5th century, or earlier This reads:

“And when had been fulfilled the days of his cleansing according to the law of Moyses, they took him up to [the] Hierosolyma, to present him to the Lord.” (George Horner; The Coptic Version, the Sahidic and Thebaic, p.35)

• Informative
Reactions: Andrewn

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
When a manuscript is unclear one source I go to is the NET Bible. It has voluminous footnotes, written by modern scholars, which are often larger than the text itself. It's been helpful to me many times.

So I turned there and this is what the NET contains:

Now when the time came for their purification according to the law of Moses, Joseph and Mary brought Jesus up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord (just as it is written in the law of the Lord, “Every firstborn male will be set apart to the Lord”), and to offer a sacrifice according to what is specified in the law of the Lord, a pair of doves or two young pigeons.​

So those translators believe "their" refers to Mary and Joseph, not Mary and Jesus.

So there isn't a Christological problem in this translation. Here are some footnotes that explain the translator's decision:

The translation follows most mss, including early and important ones ({א A B L}). Some copyists, aware that the purification law applied to women only, produced mss ({76 itpt vg} [though the Latin word eius could be either masculine or feminine]) that read “her purification.” But the extant evidence for an unambiguous “her” is shut up to one late minuscule ({codex 76}) and a couple of patristic citations of dubious worth ({Pseudo-Athanasius} whose date is unknown, and the {Catenae in euangelia Lucae et Joannis}, edited by J. A. Cramer. The Catenae is a work of collected patristic sayings whose exact source is unknown [thus, it could come from a period covering hundreds of years]). A few other witnesses (D pc lat) read “his purification.” The KJV has “her purification,” following Beza’s Greek text (essentially a revision of Erasmus’). Erasmus did not have it in any of his five editions. Most likely Beza put in the feminine form αὐτῆς (auths) because, recognizing that the eius found in several Latin mss could be read either as a masculine or a feminine, he made the contextually more satisfying choice of the feminine. Perhaps it crept into one or two late Greek witnesses via this interpretive Latin back-translation. So the evidence for the feminine singular is virtually nonexistent, while the masculine singular αὐτοῦ (autou, “his”) was a clear scribal blunder. There can be no doubt that “their purification” is the authentic reading.​

Or “when the days of their purification were completed.” In addition to the textual problem concerning the plural pronoun (which apparently includes Joseph in the process) there is also a question whether the term translated “purification” (καθαρισμός, kaqarismo") refers to the time period prescribed by the Mosaic law or to the offering itself which marked the end of the time period (cf. NLT, “it was time for the purification offering”).​

Exegetically the plural pronoun “their” creates a problem. It was Mary’s purification that was required by law, forty days after the birth (Lev 12:2-4). However, it is possible that Joseph shared in a need to be purified by having to help with the birth or that they also dedicated the child as a first born (Exod 13:2), which would also require a sacrifice that Joseph would bring. Luke’s point is that the parents followed the law. They were pious.​

Is this helpful to you? I can't believe Luke's gospel attacks the virgin conception of Jesus because it includes an account of exactly that.

Upvote 0

Bond-servant of Christ

Sep 15, 2020
Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is this helpful to you? I can't believe Luke's gospel attacks the virgin conception of Jesus because it includes an account of exactly that

you have misunderstood what I have written! I am NOT saying that Luke's Gospel in any way "attacks" the Virgin Conception of Jesus, but that some of the Greek manuscripts that are followed do so. You say, "So those translators believe "their" refers to Mary and Joseph, not Mary and Jesus.". But this argument does NOT exclude taking "their" to also include Jesus, as some versions have taken it to mean, by using simply "his". There is no doubt that the only reading here is, either as Irenaeus quotes it, or with "her", or "Mary". It is impossible to read "their" here.

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
you have misunderstood what I have written! I am NOT saying that Luke's Gospel in any way "attacks" the Virgin Conception of Jesus, but that some of the Greek manuscripts that are followed do so. You say, "So those translators believe "their" refers to Mary and Joseph, not Mary and Jesus.". But this argument does NOT exclude taking "their" to also include Jesus, as some versions have taken it to mean, by using simply "his". There is no doubt that the only reading here is, either as Irenaeus quotes it, or with "her", or "Mary". It is impossible to read "their" here.
OK, thanks for clearing that up.

I've read that unintentional scribal errors are commonplace; there are hundreds of thousands of them among the thousands of manuscripts we have. If a scribe intended to attack the divinity of Christ then shouldn't he remove the angelic birth announcement in chapter 1 instead of just changing a single pronoun in chapter 2?

You say it's impossible to read "their" here, yet that's exactly what the NET does (and the ESV too) and the footnotes explain the translator's reasoning: it follows "most mss, including early and important ones ({א A B L})".

I just don't see a problem here.

Wait a minute: are you a KJV-only believer?

Upvote 0

Bond-servant of Christ

Sep 15, 2020
Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OK, thanks for clearing that up.

I've read that unintentional scribal errors are commonplace; there are hundreds of thousands of them among the thousands of manuscripts we have. If a scribe intended to attack the divinity of Christ then shouldn't he remove the angelic birth announcement in chapter 1 instead of just changing a single pronoun in chapter 2?

You say it's impossible to read "their" here, yet that's exactly what the NET does (and the ESV too) and the footnotes explain the translator's reasoning: it follows "most mss, including early and important ones ({א A B L})".

I just don't see a problem here.

Wait a minute: are you a KJV-only believer?

firstly, I am not KJVO, but use many Bible versions. You say that you see no problem with "their"? then to whom does the plural refer? It is very clear from Leviticus chapter 12, that it is ONLY the mother who becomes "unclean". There is no involvement of the father, especailly as Joseph is not the biological father of Jesus Christ. Both the NET and ESV are simply following the majority reading, regardless of it being correct or not, as they and others do in places like 1 Timothy 3:16, where "God" has been corrupted to read "he who"; and 1 John 5:7, where the clearest reference to the Holy Trinity has been removed!

Upvote 0

Bond-servant of Christ

Sep 15, 2020
Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, both your first complaint and your mention of the Johannine Comma are pretty much unique to the KJV. And I'm not interested in discussing KJV-specific translation issues so I'll exit now.

you seem to be very narrow in your understanding! I am NOT KJVO, and just because the KJV has a reading that is not in other versions, does not mean that the others are correct. It is beyond any doubt, that the Greek grammar on the passage that 1 Johhn 5:7 is part of, demands that the disputed words are in the original. Don't be too dependent on modern versions. I spend a lot of time with the Hebrew, Greek, Latin, and other ancient versions.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The reading “their” is an impossible one, as this suggests that, either it refers to “Joseph and Mary”, or “Jesus, Joseph and Mary”. In fact, this verse has been used by some, like the Encyclopaedia Biblica, to say that “their” must mean “Joseph and Mary”, and therefore shows that Joseph was the biological father of Jesus Christ, as he was “unclean”, due to Jesus’ birth, and needed purification.
I see it could be, that it was "their" since Joseph would share with Mary in her situation. What was hers was also his. It's like how your blessing is my blessing and your problem is my problem if we love each other.

So, with a love context it doesn't matter which word is used. But an agenda-depicted context can dictate what the agenda-izer wants to believe.

“In 222 we read, further, that the days of their purification were fulfilled… the writer regarded Joseph as the actual father of Jesus ; otherwise he could not have thought of him at all as unclean…
If someone interprets with a motive, then someone can insist this is the only way to understand the wording :)

Which is also an attack on the Virgin Conception of the Lord Jesus Christ!
One can string this along the agenda line.

But, for starters, it is scripturally clear from overall context how Mary was not an unclean person. However, they did obey the outward requirements of the Law of Moses.

Another item I just got > noting first how her uncleanness was ceremonial . . . declared by the Law of Moses, having nothing to do with if she in the sight of God were unclean > I suppose, if Joseph had stayed with her during the birth, then he might have therefore become ceremonially unclean by association. And so "they" would have then been unclean . . . by Law, though, not in the sight of God!

Upvote 0

Bond-servant of Christ

Sep 15, 2020
Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I see it could be, that it was "their" since Joseph would share with Mary in her situation

but the OT to which Luke is referring, does NOT include the father! so the reading "their" is pointless!

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the reading "their" is pointless!
How I understand it can have a point, though, in case I read this translated word and have not been told of other claimed possibilities > I am offering what I can get from it.

Also, just because the OT reading does not mention anyone besides the woman, this does not exclude how others can become "unclean" because of contact with her; so "their" can be relevant to this possibility. A scripture can not get into all the ins and outs of something, all in just a few words of the verse.

I mean, I recollect how if something or someone was unclean, this could spread to anyone making contact. And so, this is why I offer that Joseph could have shared with Mary by having contact with her, and because of this he then shared with her in her uncleanness.

And . . . as I offered > a point of how things work in loving > if she is his wife, what is her situation is also his . . . like how things can be for us in love relationships. We adopt one another's conditions and situations. This is what Jesus did on the cross; Jesus was not unclean, not deserving of death; yet, Christ took on our situation, "yet without sin" (Hebrews 4:15). Like this > in love's prayer, we can make other people's problems our problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bond-servant of Christ

Sep 15, 2020
Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Also, just because the OT reading does not mention anyone besides the woman, this does not exclude how others can become "unclean"

the OT reference is what Luke mentions in this passage, and only matters!

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think the OP is taking one word in Luke a bit too literally. The Anchor Bible notes "The pron., “their,” must be understood to refer to Joseph and Mary because of the main verb anēgagon, “they (i.e. his parents) brought him up.”" I'm not sure this is precisely required by the grammar, but I doubt the author agonized over this word in the way that commentators have.

The OT law about purification requires it for the mother. Neither husband nor child is in need of ritual purification. Nor would ritual purification indicate sin in any case. OT doesn't really state what the purpose of ritual purification, but it seems to be connected with birth, death, and contact with holy things. The need for purification doesn't indicate moral impurity. Birth isn't a sin.

(It looks to me like the OP understates the evidence for "their". It's also in the oldest Greek manuscripts. I checked several translations. AV has "her", but modern translations, even evangelical ones, use "their", except NIV, which rewords the passage to avoid having to say either -- typical NIV, I'm afraid.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bond-servant of Christ

Sep 15, 2020
Birmingham
✟21,487.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Anchor Bible notes "The pron., “their,” must be understood to refer to Joseph and Mary because of the main verb anēgagon, “they (i.e. his parents) brought him up.”

if you knew Greek grammar, you would know that this is not alltogether correct. Because αὐτῶν can include Joseph, Mary and Jesus, or Mary and Jesus, as even the Greek scholar Dr A T Robertson as admitted, who I quote in the OP. This is probably why the Greek codex D, reads "αὐτοῦ", along with some old Syriac, Coptic mss, which refers directly to Jesus! The oldest reading appears to be from Irenaeus, of the early 2nd century, where he has the reading “When the days of purification were accomplished", which removes any difficulty from what the verse says. There is nothing in the Greek grammar that says the Anchor Bible's explanation is the only one!

Upvote 0