Luke 14:25-33 (Discipleship Tested/Counting the cost Parable) as Management instructions

Anonymous9090

Dec 19, 2021
toronto
✟29,942.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is evaluating Luke 14:25-33 verses which discusses the Parable about Discipleship Tested / Counting the cost as instructions for Personal Financial Planning/Project management/Business Planning be considered as taking said verses out of context?

The reason I'm asking is because Luke 14:25-33 starts off by emphasizing the sacrifices/challenges for Christians as disciples of Jesus Christ, however, would we be able to also consider said verses as instructions for Personal Financial Planning/Project management/Business Planning be considered as taking said verses out of context?

Luke 14:25-33

Discipleship Tested/ ( Parable about Counting the cost )

25 Now [a]large crowds were going along with Him; and He turned and said to them, 26 “If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple. 27 Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple. 28 For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it? 29 Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who observe it begin to ridicule him, 30 saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’ 31 Or what king, when he sets out to meet another king in battle, will not first sit down and consider whether he is strong enough with ten thousand men to encounter the one coming against him with twenty thousand? 32 Or else, while the other is still far away, he sends [c]a delegation and asks for terms of peace. 33 So then, none of you can be My disciple who does not give up all his own possessions.

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is evaluating Luke 14:25-33 verses which discusses the Parable about Discipleship Tested / Counting the cost as instructions for Personal Financial Planning/Project management/Business Planning be considered as taking said verses out of context?

The reason I'm asking is because Luke 14:25-33 starts off by emphasizing the sacrifices/challenges for Christians as disciples of Jesus Christ, however, would we be able to also consider said verses as instructions for Personal Financial Planning/Project management/Business Planning be considered as taking said verses out of context?
If you are in real estate development/home building, these words may be a start. A few words about building a tower does not make an entire set of instructions. You might need case studies about real life building projects and factors that affected planning and changes to plans made along the timeline to completion. Cost overruns and project delays are common in home construction.

Upvote 0

Anonymous9090

Dec 19, 2021
toronto
✟29,942.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you are in real estate development/home building, these words may be a start. A few words about building a tower does not make an entire set of instructions. You might need case studies about real life building projects and factors that affected planning and changes to plans made along the timeline to completion. Cost overruns and project delays are common in home construction.

Sorry, I should have used the phrase
"Emphasizing the importance of Managing/Planning"
instead of
"Instruction".

However, I want to share the following helpful chat conversation that I had with a user on another site ( Biblical Hermeneutics Stack Exchange )

• [*]I see things more simply - Jesus example of financial planning was used as a metaphor of the cost of life planning when a person considers dedication to the Lord.
    Dottard
    4 hours ago
    [*]
    @Dottard Are you saying? Tower Building would naturally involve planning (including financial planning, & more) like purchasing equipment, hiring workers, moving materials, etc. King commanding his military involves military logistics, etc., which all obviously involve planning (including financial planning, and more). Essentially, it's quite obvious said duties need all sorts of planning. The key point of said parable is that said tasks are very similar to being a Christian disciple. It's a given that said parables incidentally point to everyday life's tasks' planning.
    crazyTech
    3 hours ago
    [*]
    @Dottard Essentially, Only incidentally do the aforementioned parables emphasize everyday life's tasks' planning.
    crazyTech
    3 hours ago
    [*]1
    Yes - the Christian life involves as much planning as a commercial project. Another way to understand Jesus' parable is: If you plan a commercial project well, why not plan the commitments involved in the Christian life as well?
    Dottard
    3 hours ago

Upvote 0