Christian growing in faith
Sep 14, 2012
✟14,352.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scripture
39Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught.40But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”
Observation
Jesus is visiting Mary and Martha. They both act differently when Jesus arrives. Mary sits at Jesus' feet while Martha is busy preparing a meal
Application
This pinged me because the NLT study bible commentary about this discussed the need for a balance between worship and service. Mary and Martha provide examples of this. You cannot be just a worshiper, attending services without contributing. You also cannot be just a servicer, volunteering and running around on Sundays without attending worship.
I think I've become too much of a worshiper. I know life is busy, but I do need to make service to God a priority.

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
So absorbed was Mary in truth's words that came from Christ's mouth that she forgot all else.

Martha was over-busy to serve Jesus properly. She tried to find new ways of serving him in her work as hostess.

☆ We've here two service forms, each done to Jesus, each with the best of intentions, the one with the hands' work, the other in listening to wisdom's words. They each have their worth, if values' relation is regarded, and first things are placed first. ☆

It displeased Martha that she had to serve Jesus all alone. So she said, "Lord, doesn't it bother you that Mary lets me serve alone? Tell her that she should help also." There's resentment even against Jesus in these words.

Upvote 0