Rize

Oct 15, 2002
Louisana
✟17,900.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
First I need to define a lucid dream since many probably don't know what they are.  A lucid dream is a dream in which you know that you are dreaming.  They generally begin as normal dreams and become lucid due to some event or events in the dream that you may or may not remember (the event(s) may not be rational at all).  In a lucid dream, since you know that you are dreaming, you can take control of your actions just as you do in everyday life.  However, since you are in a dream (and you know it), you are freed from legal responsibilities including government laws and the physical laws that govern the universe as we know it.  However, I'm quite certain that we aren't free from moral responsibilities in our lucid dreams (and possibly not even in our normal dreams, though that is certainly debatable).  I should add that your freedom from physical laws is limited (Matrix style) by your brain being used to being limited by physical laws.  So, you might find it extremely difficult or impossible to take off flying.  However, it shouldn't be too difficult to imagine something in your head that is out of your view (say behind you) then turn around and see it there.  It would be more difficult to imagine something appearing out of thin air right before your eyes though.

I've only had two lucid dreams in my life, both occured in December, and both while I was Christian (I became Christian for about six months in the second half of 1999 and again in the second half of 2002 -- I'm a Christian now of course).  If my lucid dreams were tests, then I utterly failed the first (a sign of things to come since I would not consider myself a Christian within a few months), and passed the second with flying colors (I have a much stronger faith now).

Anyway, how many lucid dreams (if any) have you had, and what do you think about accountability in normal dreams and lucid dreams?  Also, if you've had lucid dreams, discuss, if you'd like, what you did in them or just the general nature of lucid dreams if there's anything I didn't hit upon or anything you have to add.  I'd rather not discuss the details of mine though.

As for accountability, I think that lucid dream accountability is obvious given that you have free will in those dreams, but we might be accountable for our normal dreams as well since they tend to mimic the fabric of our waking lives to an extent.  I'm not decided on that one.

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I've had the kind of dream you are talking about. Sometimes they come in the form of a moral test, and sometimes they don't.

I usually have lucid dreams about desires that are impossible to resolve. But once or twice I have had dreams which were tests like you describe.

www.dreamdoctor.com has info about lucid dreams.

Upvote 0

LilAngelHeart

~Nope,nothing wrong here~
Sep 18, 2002
I live in the Midwest,
Visit site
✟2,714.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I've never had a lucid dream, but I've had recurring dreams that pick up where it left off on the next night for like 3 nights. I also have dreams that come to past like premonitions, and my mom and I have had the same dream on the same night sometimes. :) One night my mom dreamed she was lost or something and on the same night I dreamed that we were looking for her! :scratch: It's true really!!LOL!! :o

But nope, no lucid dreams. I bet that's a weird experience.

*~·´¯`·¸.~¤LïlÃñge£Heårt¤~*

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
um.... i guess i've quite a few, none of them make sense though.... if i wasn't dreaming, i probably wouldn't be doing something as what my dream self did. :) though i can't quite remember what the dreams were about, may have to dig in my diary.

I've never had a lucid dream, but I've had recurring dreams that pick up where it left off on the next night for like 3 nights.

wow, that must be quite something, lilangelheart, like reading a story in parts.

Have any of you ever had dreams where something happened that made perfect sense in the dream but when you woke up you realized that it made no sense whatsoever?

sure, in the dream, the rules work differently right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SeRapH&CheRi

Sassy GurlMember!
Apr 3, 2002
eastcoastoftheusa
✟6,276.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Rize

I guess this is a pretty useless thread really.

Nope, not at all a useless thread!  I find it actually quite facinating because I've never really defined certain dreams I've had as lucid until I read this thread!  I find Lucid dreams to be quite strange actually - I'd share, but to embarassed to go into any details about them!  ;)

Upvote 0

Quiet Storm

Back in Shepherd's arms
Aug 19, 2002
Howard University
Visit site
✟1,269.00
Faith
Christian
I'd love to have certain dreamd pick up where they left off before. With others, I'm glad it's never happened. I've had weird dreams, disturbing dreams, happy dreams, no dreams, but I can't honestly say that I've ever had a lucid dream. Actually, I take that back. There have been times where I knew I was asleep, knew I was dreaming, and maybe a few times knew that I could wake up when I needed to. Now whether or not I did anything in the dream under my own free will, I don't know.

Upvote 0

LilAngelHeart

~Nope,nothing wrong here~
Sep 18, 2002
I live in the Midwest,
Visit site
✟2,714.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Originally posted by oncewaslost
sometimes my dreams aren't about myself but the events i can change or go back and change if i don't like the way it turns out. *shrug* most people i ask about this just give me a strange look.

LOL!!! ;) I've never done that before. :)

*~·´¯`·¸.~¤LïlÃñge£Heårt¤~*

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2002
✟16,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I can lucid dream, have been for over a year now. It was really hard but I taught myeslf to do it. During lower levels of lucidity it doesn't feel like anything but a really memorable dream. But during high levels of lucidity I can volunatarily fly and walk through walls and change the scenery and so on. I said this in another dream thread, but I created a character in my dreams and each night when I go to sleep, he is there and we talk about my day and he knows all that happened (since it is me after all).

As for accountability, Rize, are you talking about setting limits for yourself? I think you're hinting to sexual dreams, and just because we can doesn't mean we should . . . . sex dreams are a hard topic to be gingerly about.

Upvote 0