small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I grew up Catholic in the 50s and 60s. schooled in a parochial school. Jesuit high school and RC university colleges. I knew Latin and the Mass and Gregorian chant. It was such an immense relief when I could hear mass in my native language with the priest actually facing the congregation. I simply cannot understand why people want to turn back the clock by centuries. Vatican II offered so much hope for a relevant church but the conservatives destroyed so much of that hope. Now there are those who are not content with that but actually want to destroy what little was accomplished. Pope Francis was such a ray of hope but now he is opposed at every turn. What is this fascination with medieval Catholicism? All of this partially explains why I am now a liberal/progressive Christian.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I grew up Catholic in the 50s and 60s. schooled in a parochial school. Jesuit high school and RC university colleges. I knew Latin and the Mass and Gregorian chant. It was such an immense relief when I could hear mass in my native language with the priest actually facing the congregation. I simply cannot understand why people want to turn back the clock by centuries. Vatican II offered so much hope for a relevant church but the conservatives destroyed so much of that hope. Now there are those who are not content with that but actually want to destroy what little was accomplished. Pope Francis was such a ray of hope but now he is opposed at every turn. What is this fascination with medieval Catholicism? All of this partially explains why I am now a liberal/progressive Christian.

Short version? Modernism is heresy.

Long version?

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian

I was just reading about Democracy protesters in China being arrested, detained and tortured by the secret police. I also read of a Catholic Bishop being hounded by the same secret police who the Vatican had forced to step down so that the Chinese leaders could put in their own dupe government handpicked Bishop s . Pope Francis made this happen. Is that an "immense relief".

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was just reading about Democracy protesters in China being arrested, detained and tortured by the secret police. I also read of a Catholic Bishop being hounded by the same secret police who the Vatican had forced to step down so that the Chinese leaders could put in their own dupe government handpicked Bishop s . Pope Francis made this happen. Is that an "immense relief".

That post makes no sense in English. Please review and repost with corrections.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,584,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Short version? Modernism is heresy.

Long version?

Wow. I lucked out and was able to watch it here at home. Thanks for all the info you bring to OBOB.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Beloved2018

Theotokos, Pregnant With Christ, Save Us!
Supporter
Jan 11, 2018
KY
✟54,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I came from a Church tradition (Lutheranism) that didn't have Vatican II. Our major reforms happened in the 16th century and then we adapted as we moved geographically. I began reading about Catholicism from about the age of 14. Since I'm Patriarchal and my father was Lutheran and I was unmarried, I stayed Lutheran until age 26(when Dad went to be with the Lord). This gave me a great deal of time to study Luther and Lutheranism too. And I'm grateful for that time. I grew to appreciate Luther and not reject what I think I know about him. Anyway, I was steeped in thousands of dollars worth of books on Catholicism. So that by the age of 30, I was ready to not leave what I had in Lutheranism, but just pile more on that beautiful, rich, theologically and liturgically deep Sundae. Over the next year, one disappointment followed another. Even today, I long for the Divine Liturgy of my childhood or the sermons and private discussions I received from Lutheran Pastors. The fact that Lutherans are suppose to be the heretics or the schismatics is becoming ever so ironic these days. Not that I want to go back. Although, sometimes I feel like I've made a mess of things. The point is, I want to keep going forward, I want that Sundae. And if Francis doesn't want it, well then, Francis is leaving me. Because that richness wasn't contrived in my head. I didn't spend thousands of dollars on a fantasy. There is a history and a Tradition that precedes both Francis and the 16th century. Although, I think the Lutheranism of my youth is probably a closer relational heir than what Francis has going on. But it's not a direct descendant or I'd still be there.
Regarding Latin. I understand. And for economy sake, if language were the only issue-Okay fine. But my preference would be to keep the Mass in Latin. Not because it's Holy (although it is nice), but because I see the benefits of the Church speaking one sanctioned language. It ties us together irrespective of our cultures and keeps us together. Growing up Lutheran, I grew up very 'German', even though I have never been to Germany. And although the services I attended were in English, we still have a family catechism in German. To be one, in a sense, is to be the other. And in this day and age, when people are so rootless and Globalism is leaving people without any identity, it's important that we rediscover what it means to have a Catholic culture as a Church Body. And a culture has a language (whatever that ends up looking like for us).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Awesome video, Fen. Those kids are brave, smart, and will help carry the Church through whatever comes next. Bless them.

I *would* recommend folks at least try to attend a Latin Mass once a month. If there's one near by, or even far by. I think it's important.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I *would* recommend folks at least try to attend a Latin Mass once a month. If there's one near by, or even far by. I think it's important.

Indeed! I'm trying to work out the logistics of going to the nearest one...but it's almost 200 miles round trip. I e-mailed my parochial vicar about offering the Latin Mass at my parish again after a five year hiatus, I figured he'd be more amiable to it than my pastor. He was I suppose, but he expressed a liking for the novus ordo. He did say if enough parishioners came forward wanting the Latin Mass that Benedict XVI said a priest can't ignore that call. So now I'm just trying to figure out how to better connect with my parishioners and see if anyone else shares a desire for it.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Indeed! I'm trying to work out the logistics of going to the nearest one...but it's almost 200 miles round trip. I e-mailed my parochial vicar about offering the Latin Mass at my parish again after a five year hiatus, I figured he'd be more amiable to it than my pastor. He was I suppose, but he expressed a liking for the novus ordo. He did say if enough parishioners came forward wanting the Latin Mass that Benedict XVI said a priest can't ignore that call. So now I'm just trying to figure out how to better connect with my parishioners and see if anyone else shares a desire for it.
Mass e-mail? Flyers at your parish?

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Every Christian who has ever lived is a heretic to some other Christian. I wish we could get past that.

The Latin Mass is the Mass that had been offered since Trent, and the Roman Mass before it was virtually indistinguishable, so it was a 1,936 year (33-1969) continuity and then modern Catholics had the audacity to think we could improve on the liturgy by saying it in the vernacular. How dare we?!

Benedict XVI said it wasn't abrogated in Vatican II. Like Dietrich von Hildreband wrote, Vatican II was a trojan horse.

That's a complicated thing, but I'm trying to figure it out. I'll probably have to resort to e-mail and social media since at this juncture I'm not sure I trust my pastor to support it. If I posted flyers either he or one of the older parishioners would probably not be too stoked about it.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

BOOM! Wheels-a-turnin'! :crossrc:

vXvYPVU.png

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've mentioned this in several threads now. But when I was registered at a nearby FSSP parish, I was struck by how many Millennial couples were in attendance every Sunday. The average age of the parish was probably somewhere in the upper 30's. Millennials adore the Latin Mass when they can access it.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've mentioned this in several threads now. But when I was registered at a nearby FSSP parish, I was struck by how many Millennial couples were in attendance every Sunday. The average age of the parish was probably somewhere in the upper 30's. Millennials adore the Latin Mass when they can access it.

That's what I keep hearing! I think as the demographics shift over time we might see it become more and more of the norm. Who knows? Maybe it'll even retake it's rightful place as the ordinary form.

From what I understand, there are also significantly more young men seeking vocations with Latin Mass societies while diocesan vocations are starved. There have been articles about FSSP, ICKSP, and SSPX seminaries virtually filled to the rafters with seminarians.

Upvote 0