• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

lowering LDL cholesterol

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItalianAngel

~Angels watching over me...~
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
dividing my time between Pittsburgh, PA & McFarlan
Visit site
✟30,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hi all,

I had some bloodwork done this past week and although I'm pretty healthy otherwise, I've been diagnosed with high cholesterol. My doctor sent me some information on lowering my LDL (bad) cholesterol and I've also been doing some on-line research on the subject. Has anyone here been diagnosed with high cholesterol? If so, what did you do to help lower it? I really want to try everything I can to get my LDL number down without medication as I see it as a last resort.

Thanks to all who reply!

blessings,
~Michele :angel:

RoughEdges

Aug 20, 2006
Butler, PA
✟8,834.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, neighbor! I'm from just up the road in Butler, PA. :wave:

My doctor has me take fish oil capsules due to the Omega 3 fatty acids in them. This fatty acid is what is supposed to help lower your LDL levels. I got mine from Sam's Club, because they are least expensive there, but many stores carry them (Wal-Mart, Giant Eagle, Target, K-Mart, etc.).

I get the enteric coated variety, which reduces any after-taste, in 1000 mg. strength. (The uncoated variety can cause belching, with an unpleasant after-taste). I take one in the morning and one in the evening, but some people take one with each meal.

My doctor also recommended a glass of red wine every day. I don't drink much, so I don't follow that suggestion.

I do also take medication to lower my LDL, but the fish oil capsules do help, according to my blood tests. I've already had a heart attack, so my doctors want me to take the medication to make sure my LDL is as low as possible.

Upvote 0

ItalianAngel

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Visit site
✟30,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for the informtion RoughEdges. Yes, I have heard the benefits of Omega 3. I will look into the capsules you had mentioned.

blessings,
~Michele:angel:

Upvote 0

inHisgripkim

You Are The Salt And Light Of The World
Apr 5, 2006
Arizona
✟10,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi all,

I had some bloodwork done this past week and although I'm pretty healthy otherwise, I've been diagnosed with high cholesterol. My doctor sent me some information on lowering my LDL (bad) cholesterol and I've also been doing some on-line research on the subject. Has anyone here been diagnosed with high cholesterol? If so, what did you do to help lower it? I really want to try everything I can to get my LDL number down without medication as I see it as a last resort.

Thanks to all who reply!

blessings,
Lecithin and the lipase enzyme help manage your cholesterol per new research. I take omega's, but I also take a lecithin and a full spectrum digestive enzyme capsule when I eat saturated fats and drink whole milk. Steel cut oatmeal is also good for lowering cholesterol.

Upvote 0

arunskh

Dec 12, 2006
✟15,112.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Generally, muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue and you don’t know how much stored fat you have lost. Muscle does use up calories at a faster rate than fat tissue, and this will directly affect your body's metabolism. Your Basal Metabolism Rate is the amount of energy you require to sustain your body at rest that varies with person’s age, sex, body size, genetic makeup and body composition. People with higher levels of muscle tend to have a higher metabolism rate. They also use more calories in the relaxing stage.

Information for cholesterol levels visit diet-for-lowering-cholesterol.blogspot.com

Upvote 0

okieray

Dec 30, 2006
sallisaw,oklahoma
✟15,620.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i found out a few years ago that mine was sky high , after trying a few differnt things along with what the doctor ordered i found that omega 3 fish oil 1000mg,3 times a day. flax seed oil 1000mg 3 times a day. co q-10 once a day. has gotten mine down to where the doctor dosen`t gripe at me. and the good thing about it i still eat any thingthat will stand still. also if your like me and won`t touch wine just drink grape juice i find i feel better when i don`t drink pop and drink a lot of water and some juice

Upvote 0

r911steven

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2006
✟45,474.00
Faith
Christian
Before following these recommendations it is ADVISED that you ask your Doctor.

Some suggestions that have helped SEVERAL family members and friends:

500mg Niacin ( Inositol Hexaniacinate version ).
Recommended version: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-1310

You may still experience some flushing for the first few days but it will go away. After two weeks taking 500mg it is ok to bump up to 1000mg if your cholesterol is really bad.

Artichoke Extract - 300mg
Recommended version: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=NH-1373

If you are on a [SIZE=-1]Statins [/SIZE][SIZE=-1] class of cholesterol drug you should take coenzyzmeq10, its good for your heart otherwise.
Recommended version: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-1260

Take a omega 3-6-9 supplement:
This one is recommended for various reasons..:
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=KA-1182
[/SIZE]If taking this listed supplement take two.

[SIZE=-1]

And of course you need to change your lifestyle:

1.) Avoid Processed foods
2.) Eat more fruits and veggies.. the soluble fiber is what you need.

if you follow all these recommendations, you will be very surprised in 6 months.[/SIZE]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

inHisgripkim

You Are The Salt And Light Of The World
Apr 5, 2006
Arizona
✟10,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I had some bloodwork done this past week and although I'm pretty healthy otherwise, I've been diagnosed with high cholesterol. My doctor sent me some information on lowering my LDL (bad) cholesterol and I've also been doing some on-line research on the subject. Has anyone here been diagnosed with high cholesterol? If so, what did you do to help lower it? I really want to try everything I can to get my LDL number down without medication as I see it as a last reso

Thanks to all who reply!

blessings,

Dear Italianangel,

I'm kind of curious to know what your so called bad cholesterol reading is.

Recent research shows that cholesterol is not what clogs the arteries. The plaque that builds on arterial walls is comprised of vegetable oils (hydrogenated oil).

I say to you. Avoid hydrogenated oils. The oils you should use is virgin olive oil and virgin coconut oil. Coconut is touted as one of the healthiest oils because its fattyacid chain is different from all other oils. It does not go rancid to boot.

To clean up your bood, take red yeast rice, alpha lipoic acid, and load up on coenzymeQ10, and salmon oil. Newest research puts these four supplements at the top of the list for ultimate heart health.

Avoid ultra pasturized milk. Try and find pasturized organic milk. Whole milk is not bad for you as once thought. Our bodies nead cholesterol and saturated fat. Cholesterol is needed for neurological health and for anticancer prevention. Saturated fat, via newest research, shows that it protects the liver. Coconut oil is the best saturated fat.

We need fats in our diet for proper metabolization of vitamins and minerals (fat soluable).

Research the four supplements I have talked to you about. You will find nothing but good things about them.

Feel free to ask me questins as I have been following research and nutrition for 30 years.

One other suggestion. Drink lots of lemon water. Squeeze it into your water. Make lemonade. Lemon is especially good for you. Research it.

God bless,
Kim

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
you can log on to net , go to nutrition, and look up your favorite foods, restraunts, and find out how healthy you have been eating in the past

the other white meat ...... fish Tialpia ...
fresh ground turkey v's hambburger or pork;
salads , fresh fruit and vegetables ...

avoid frozen or canned goods ....

takes a little getting used to ... I can do all things with His help Php 4.13

Upvote 0

ItalianAngel

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2006
Visit site
✟30,014.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Wow, it's been nearly two years since I started this thread. :)

Just a quick update: I was able to bring my LDL level down to a more healthy level. (from 240 to 130).Just doing things like eating the right foods (lots of soluble fiber, omega 3 rich foods such as fish, and soy products), trying to avoid trans fats, and boosting up my exercising really helped. Also, I've been taking the supplement Cholest Off which really helped. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.