Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Word of God is self-authenticating. It is wondrously unified in its themes and such a challenge and comfort to the reader. If however a reader is determined to doubt, then there is nothing in my power to convince. Only the Word itself by God's Spirit can do that.

Yeah, circular.

Upvote 0

phydaux

Oct 22, 2014
Hudson, NH
✟14,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A bible teacher I respect has a series, Learn the Bible in 24 Hours. There's a 300+ page book, DVDs, Audio CDs/MP3s, and a workbook.

Now maybe the kids don't want to sit through 24 hours of DVDs, but you can get the main book, the MP3 files, and one workbook all for yourself for well under $100. Then you can cherry pick from the lessons and do an overview of the whole bible in, say, 8 one-hour lessons.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I recently started working as a youth leader at a small church. Over the past couple weeks, I've noticed that most of the students (about 4 or 5 middle schoolers) had alarming low Bible literacy and knowledge. I have done things such as Bible drills and Bible Jeopardy as fun ways to slowly increase what they know, but I am trying to figure out how I can better tailor the lessons and discussions around improving this. While I certainly am not expecting them to already be nor attempting to make them Bible experts over night, they do not appear to be familiar with anything but the most basic stories.

Does anyone have ideas on what the best approach moving forward is? Should I do a series of lessons on fundamentals of Christianity? Should I do a overview of the Bible, starting in Genesis and hitting the major stories along the way? Are there any curriculums that would be helpful

Additionally, should I (or maybe I should say, how should I) talk to the head pastor, who runs Awanas, and the associate pastor, who teaches their Sunday School class, about this? They obviously have seniority in rank and experience, and they have known these students much longer. I want to be able to get their assessment of where the students are and where they need to be, but I certainly want to make sure that how I approach it is done respectfully. Obviously, I in no way want to make it sound like I do not believe that they have not done a good job in teaching the students, but I want to be able to address the problem or at least know if they agree that it is a problem.
I would say learn to be a story teller, all the world loves a story. The parables are a good quick start lesson and you can't go wrong with the Gospel according to John.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tkolter

May 8, 2018
Saint Petersburg, Florida
✟22,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well I'm going point out most adults have issues here. I might suggest in this case get quality Christian movies about the major figures and watch those with popcorn and invite the parents, after all some good movies that are Biblical sound are out there. Children are visual and like to be entertained so this might work. Also remember general Literacy is fine for now but encourage they read the Bible do most of these children own one of their own?

Upvote 0

lee11

Nov 10, 2017
melbourne
✟34,951.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I recently started working as a youth leader at a small church. Over the past couple weeks, I've noticed that most of the students (about 4 or 5 middle schoolers) had alarming low Bible literacy and knowledge. I have done things such as Bible drills and Bible Jeopardy as fun ways to slowly increase what they know, but I am trying to figure out how I can better tailor the lessons and discussions around improving this. While I certainly am not expecting them to already be nor attempting to make them Bible experts over night, they do not appear to be familiar with anything but the most basic stories.

Does anyone have ideas on what the best approach moving forward is? Should I do a series of lessons on fundamentals of Christianity? Should I do a overview of the Bible, starting in Genesis and hitting the major stories along the way? Are there any curriculums that would be helpful

Additionally, should I (or maybe I should say, how should I) talk to the head pastor, who runs Awanas, and the associate pastor, who teaches their Sunday School class, about this? They obviously have seniority in rank and experience, and they have known these students much longer. I want to be able to get their assessment of where the students are and where they need to be, but I certainly want to make sure that how I approach it is done respectfully. Obviously, I in no way want to make it sound like I do not believe that they have not done a good job in teaching the students, but I want to be able to address the problem or at least know if they agree that it is a problem.

Hi

Unfortunately, low bible literacy is common among members in the body of Christ and therefore it stands to reason why Christians experience failure defeat and struggle in their personal relationships with Jesus.

However, the good news is Jesus never leaves us of forsakes us and there is always opportunity to develop grow and transform.

I think as some have suggested to pray and ask seek and knock that God may intervene and open doors that will assist help and support your ministry objectives, to identify to believers who they are in Christ Jesus and the important of these examples lessons and demonstration of their faith in God and his relationship with his people and their history.

I think telling stories has always been fun and an entertaining resource for children and young adults and letting the kid’s role play and play the characters in the story.

These maybe some options for you to consider.

Keep up the good work

Peace

Upvote 0