Lynchburg
✟9,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I recently started working as a youth leader at a small church. Over the past couple weeks, I've noticed that most of the students (about 4 or 5 middle schoolers) had alarming low Bible literacy and knowledge. I have done things such as Bible drills and Bible Jeopardy as fun ways to slowly increase what they know, but I am trying to figure out how I can better tailor the lessons and discussions around improving this. While I certainly am not expecting them to already be nor attempting to make them Bible experts over night, they do not appear to be familiar with anything but the most basic stories.

Does anyone have ideas on what the best approach moving forward is? Should I do a series of lessons on fundamentals of Christianity? Should I do a overview of the Bible, starting in Genesis and hitting the major stories along the way? Are there any curriculums that would be helpful

Additionally, should I (or maybe I should say, how should I) talk to the head pastor, who runs Awanas, and the associate pastor, who teaches their Sunday School class, about this? They obviously have seniority in rank and experience, and they have known these students much longer. I want to be able to get their assessment of where the students are and where they need to be, but I certainly want to make sure that how I approach it is done respectfully. Obviously, I in no way want to make it sound like I do not believe that they have not done a good job in teaching the students, but I want to be able to address the problem or at least know if they agree that it is a problem.

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Whew! You need to pray! I found the same issue also in churches with Awana and was always booted out because of my ideas for helping! (And 2 of my degrees are in Religious Education!) There doesn't seem to be any way to approach them in this imo. It could be for many reasons... the adults are insecure in their own Bible knowledge, teaching abilities etc and don't want the apple cart upset.... people like the status quo and pecking order... IF you do well then the students will be liking and talking about you and the class...and let that draw the admin etc to YOU.

I'd advise, if you wish to continue, that you keep doing what you are doing within your own class. Sword (Bible) Drills are great. You might also give them a Bible verse to learn each week and let each one give it (takes time) and then every 2 months or so the Sword drill can have THOSE verses in it. Give them color paper to write the verse in class and that way they have it, and have already read it. (If you can coincide the verses they have in AWANA then so be it.)

Tell them ahead of time about the sword drill with all of the verses in it so they can practice "finding" them--- we want winners in this, not drop outs. ;)

Have them scour the Bible for a verse that has " " word in it and bring to next class.

Begin learning the Books in order (but I'd begin with the NT on this.) By Christmas they should know the whole "list" in order? Give them a goal or two and then each week work the objectives to reaching that goal.

It isn't your fault they are ignorant of the Bible. You can't make them learn any faster than they can, and if they have to be taught HOW to learn, you can do that too! They will be better for having been in your class in any event.

Share love. They have plenty of people noticing their faults, but they need you to find a good thing about each one each week. Let them participate in teaching, activity or whatever.... it's more fun (even for adults though they won't admit it usually.)

Remind them over and over that God loves them and forgives.... and He is always there, even when we are asleep He never sleeps. ...

I'd like to add one more bit of encouragement. Billy Graham was the only one in his Sunday School class. What if the teacher hadn't bothered teaching to one student?

I think you got the idea ;)

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Last year I ran a ten-session teaching series on "The Bible for beginners," just trying to give an overview of the big picture. I wrote it for adults (many of whom had alarmingly low Biblical literacy), but you could adapt it for teens. Happy to share, if you'd like, just PM me your email address.

Part of the answer as to how you should approach it, though, probably depends on questions like, How does your church as a whole approach reading the Bible? Do they encourage people to read at home? And if so, do they provide weekly readings or the like? How are the choices of readings for services structured? That sort of thing. Because what you teach the kids probably needs to be in keeping with the ethos of the community as a whole.

As to how to raise it with the head pastor, etc - do you have regular meetings, supervision, anything like that? That would give you a natural avenue to raise it as, "I've noticed this and I'm not sure of the best approach, what do you think?" (And if you don't have those things, maybe you need to look at getting them in place?)

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Dropout_Theologian

Not an ant in God's glorious library.
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
Southern United States
✟64,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your username nearly made me do a double-take, that's great. I had a preacher dance once as an example of 2 Samuel 6.

I've never been a teacher so remember that massive grain of salt. Listen to the teachers before me. I know very little of this, but for literature perhaps try the libraries/bookstores of larger or more well off churches. There could also (edit:be) diamonds hidden in some other small churches as well so don't ignore that. (Edit: Also, some could be diamond mines.) As part of making my peace with certain Presbyterians (edit: their behavior was reasonable), I must truthfully say I have gotten some of my best non-Bible books from Presbyterians. Actually some pretty critical theology too. Wow I'm a fool.

In order to show respect to the cabin (edit: chain) of command I would ask the head pastor for literature/advice and then suggest that you're willing to go hunting for some if s/he doesn't have any.

Also, we need God to open our eyes to the truth even if we already wanted it (saying from personal experience and the experience of others) so, though I know you know to do this already, pray for them often!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2017
Lynchburg
✟9,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship

I'd advise, if you wish to continue, that you keep doing what you are doing within your own class. Sword (Bible) Drills are great. You might also give them a Bible verse to learn each week and let each one give it (takes time) and then every 2 months or so the Sword drill can have THOSE verses in it. Give them color paper to write the verse in class and that way they have it, and have already read it. (If you can coincide the verses they have in AWANA then so be it.)

Tell them ahead of time about the sword drill with all of the verses in it so they can practice "finding" them--- we want winners in this, not drop outs. ;)

You gave some great ideas that I had not thought of. I like the idea of telling them what the Bible drill answers will be. Several of the students are still learning their way around the Bible (we often give hints to prod them in the right direction), but telling them the verses the week before would probably help. It may even give them motivation to commit some to memory, considering how we ask them to read the entire verse (and provide candy incentives).

I also really like the idea of finding a verse to bring in.

And I definitely agree with you that loving on them is one of the most important things to do. People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. My (soon to be) fiancé helps me lead the class and it is the highlight of our week because we love investing into them and having fun with them and hopefully helping them to love God more. We always are talking to each other about the kids and how much fun they are and how we can pray for them and how we can make the lesson reach them better.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2017
Lynchburg
✟9,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Last year I ran a ten-session teaching series on "The Bible for beginners," just trying to give an overview of the big picture. I wrote it for adults (many of whom had alarmingly low Biblical literacy), but you could adapt it for teens. Happy to share, if you'd like, just PM me your email address.

I only recently started using the site, and it looks like I cannot PM you. However, I would be very appreciative of the resource.

[/QUOTE]As to how to raise it with the head pastor, etc - do you have regular meetings, supervision, anything like that? That would give you a natural avenue to raise it as, "I've noticed this and I'm not sure of the best approach, what do you think?" (And if you don't have those things, maybe you need to look at getting them in place?)[/QUOTE]

I do not usually have formal meetings with them, but I informally/semi formally have talked with them frequently to discuss things. They have definitely been helpful and attentive whenever I have had questions or concerns. I mostly want to ensure that I am not rocking the boat too much (especially too early, as I only recently took the position) while ensuring that the students are not receiving the short end of the stick.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2017
Lynchburg
✟9,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
If 'Biblical Literacy' involves Young Earth Creationism, Flat-Eartherism, Nephilimism, then good riddance to Biblical Literacy I say!

None of what I am teaching involves anything like that. Flat Earth comes from misunderstanding literary devices (from my understanding at least), Nephilimism is way far advanced, and the Creationism debate is not anywhere near my focus right.

I'm more concerned that middle schoolers are confusing David and Daniel, and do not know which Testament Romans is in.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2017
Lynchburg
✟9,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Your username nearly made me do a double-take, that's great. I had a preacher dance once as an example of 2 Samuel 6.

Haha I always try to keep things lighthearted, and wanted to have a name that would give some people a chuckle. Laughter is good medicine, and life is boring if you can't laugh at yourself and the things around you.

I think that there is great value to crossing denominational lines to pursue knowledge. God doesn't only give insights to or use Baptists, or Presbyterians, or any other denomination. But you're absolutely right that only God can open our eyes to the truth, and I pray for the ministry and for each of the students individually every day (although I admit that it is not a challenge to do so since it's a small youth ministry).

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
None of what I am teaching involves anything like that. Flat Earth comes from misunderstanding literary devices (from my understanding at least), Nephilimism is way far advanced, and the Creationism debate is not anywhere near my focus right.

I'm more concerned that middle schoolers are confusing David and Daniel, and do not know which Testament Romans is in.

May I suggest a couple of things.
Try getting them tho learn the books of the bible, there are songs and chants to help learn them.

Then to get an overview of the bible thjere are 'walk through the bible' schemes where you use actions and words to help memorise the timeline of events.

Lastly when involved in ethical debates always through the issue back at them asking and what does the bible say about x, y & z?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recently started working as a youth leader at a small church. Over the past couple weeks, I've noticed that most of the students (about 4 or 5 middle schoolers) had alarming low Bible literacy and knowledge. I have done things such as Bible drills and Bible Jeopardy as fun ways to slowly increase what they know, but I am trying to figure out how I can better tailor the lessons and discussions around improving this. While I certainly am not expecting them to already be nor attempting to make them Bible experts over night, they do not appear to be familiar with anything but the most basic stories.

Does anyone have ideas on what the best approach moving forward is? Should I do a series of lessons on fundamentals of Christianity? Should I do a overview of the Bible, starting in Genesis and hitting the major stories along the way? Are there any curriculums that would be helpful

Additionally, should I (or maybe I should say, how should I) talk to the head pastor, who runs Awanas, and the associate pastor, who teaches their Sunday School class, about this? They obviously have seniority in rank and experience, and they have known these students much longer. I want to be able to get their assessment of where the students are and where they need to be, but I certainly want to make sure that how I approach it is done respectfully. Obviously, I in no way want to make it sound like I do not believe that they have not done a good job in teaching the students, but I want to be able to address the problem or at least know if they agree that it is a problem.

What basic stories are you referring to? John 3:16 type of stories?

1. Adding visual, tactile and audio to your teaching reinforces the topic and helps the brain associate these in the short term and long term memory banks. I was once told in one of my college classes that it takes a repetition of 6 times for something to become a lasting memory. So 2 visual aids, 2 tactile (hands on) aids, and 2 audio aids will greatly increase their learning of the topic.

2.In addition, the teaching needs to be in line with what they can comprehend, obviously, so a middle school child is at the age of developing social skills through developing friendships, moral and ethical values, and awareness of differences. Applying your teaching using comparisons to what they are experiencing in everyday life impacts them with a very positive outcome.

3. Talk their language....don't use phrases that are too young or too old for them, you will lose their ability to stay focused and interested. Also, it is difficult for them to associate historical biblical teaching to today....Your lessons should use as much modern day examples that they can relate to.

4. Rewards: Even as adults we are rewarded when our lives are pleasing to our Father in that He pours out blessings upon us....give them something to strive for...a reward for their effort in applying what they are learning.

5. Acknowledgment and praise: Give praise and acknowledgment in even the smallest effort they display from what they have learned.

5. Personal testimony: Ask them to give a praise report of how they applied what they learned in their life that week. And offer your own testimony of what you are teaching and how you applied it at that time. Example: I had a Sunday School teacher who was teaching about the power and influence people can have over us through their words....She told the story of when she was in school that her friends decided to prank her and when she got to school, one by one they would ask her if she was feeling ok and that she didn't look well. By noon she called her mom to come get her because she wasn't feeling well, she was fine when she 1st got there but became convinced in her mind that she was sick because of what her friends kept saying to her. I never forgot that story....and I learned the power of words and power of suggestion can really affect us.

Well, that is all I can offer for help...probably not much but I used to teach preschool in Sunday School and it was a challenge to keep their focus!

• Useful
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our congregation is taking a few minutes at the beginning of our service (we meet on Saturdays) to play an episode of a youtube video series called "The Bible Project." It gives a 5-6 minute overview of each book (some longer books are broken up to multiple segments) with animation. It looks to be geared toward teens, but is quite good for anyone.

The Bible Project

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Our congregation is taking a few minutes at the beginning of our service (we meet on Saturdays) to play an episode of a youtube video series called "The Bible Project." It gives a 5-6 minute overview of each book (some longer books are broken up to multiple segments) with animation. It looks to be geared toward teens, but is quite good for anyone.

The Bible Project
I was going to suggest that too.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I only recently started using the site, and it looks like I cannot PM you. However, I would be very appreciative of the resource.
You now have 10 posts (and over 5 "likes") so you should now be able to pm anyone.

I also like your handle. :)
Most baptists I have known believe dancing in any form to be sinful. (but I reject legalism)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was going to suggest that too.
Yes, this kind of thing is good. I have an excellent little book called 'Know Your Bible' by Barbour Publishing, which has really good summaries of all the books of the Bible, and pithy quotes.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was once told in one of my college classes that it takes a repetition of 6 times for something to become a lasting memory. So 2 visual aids, 2 tactile (hands on) aids, and 2 audio aids will greatly increase their learning of the topic.
There is of course the work of the Holy Spirit in bringing things to mind from the Word. It's wonderful how a daily Bible reading habit gives an increasing sense of the wonder of God's revelation centred in the Person and Work of the Lord Jesus Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is of course the work of the Holy Spirit in bringing things to mind from the Word. It's wonderful how a daily Bible reading habit gives an increasing sense of the wonder of God's revelation centred in the Person and Work of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Yes agreed but these are little kids who may not even understand the Holy Spirit....but I guess the Holy Spirit can work through them anyway....lol.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Prove that without using circular reasoning.
The Word of God is self-authenticating. It is wondrously unified in its themes and such a challenge and comfort to the reader. If however a reader is determined to doubt, then there is nothing in my power to convince. Only the Word itself by God's Spirit can do that.

• Agree
Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0