Lovin'n the Worship Music Yet Hating the House of Joel Osteen/WOF It was Birthed In?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To anyone interested,
1 Peter 2:17
Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.
1 Peter 2:16-18 /1 Peter 2
Ephesians 4/Ephesians 4:8

Unity in the Body of Christ

1As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. 4There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— 5one Lord, one faith, one baptism; 6one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. 7But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it. 8This is why it[a] says:
"When he ascended on high,
he led captives in his train
and gave gifts to men."[b] 9(What does "he ascended" mean except that he also descended to the lower, earthly regions[c]? 10He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.) 11It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, 12to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
I brought this issue up elsewhere on another discussion forum...but it's something I've been wrestling on for awhile.:confused:

For I was discussing with another the other day on the reality of music and how it truly transcends all theological barriers/camps....also known as "The Universal Language" since 2 people can speak differing languages and yet in playing music they'll have something in common...and it occured how odd it is to see some of the dynamics coming from ministries opposing those who're apart of things such as "Health & Wealth"/"Prosperity" theology.

In example, one individual who has been discussed on the boards before is a man known as Joel Osteen--whom many like and whom others dislike when it comes to his theology....and I've been in many churches that critique him extensively (with many points valid on where he may be in error). Whether Baptists, Charismatic, Reformed or many other theological camps, Osteen has been critised in them all...

osteen.jpg
'​

joel_osteen.jpg

However, those same churches many times had the "Praise & Worship" CD's playing in their churches by people such as Israel Hougton and New Breed----a Christian Worship leader/singer, mostly known for his cross-cultural style of Christian Musicthat fuses elements from Gospel Music, Jazz and Rock as well a Regaee flavors. For more info, one can go to CBN Interview with Israel Houghton ...or to hear music, Israel Houghton - Say So (Hillsong Conference ...

2915.jpg

israelanotherlevel300.jpg

LGIHaliveinSouthAfrica.jpg

I love his music and many of the songs he has made that I hear often in nearly all camps of the Christian World---such as "Rejoice in the Lord Always", "I am a friend of God", "Lord You Are Good", "He Knows My Name", "We Give You Honor..." and many others. But what's intriguing to me is that Israel started out at Joel's Church...and is STILL a worship leader at Osteen's Church in Houston, TX. And all without question, the same churches that loved Houghton's music/celebrated it were quick to defend the use of Israel's contemporary music for corporate worship...yet discounted the reality of where the man's songs came from.

To me, that seems no different than having a neighbor whom I dislike for many reasons...and yet, I utilize materials his family has such as using his uncle's lawnmower loaned to him to cut my yard just like others in the neighborhood do....and though we all say we appreciate the resource, we have a townhall meeting to bash the man/forget how all of us were benefited by him/connected.

The same dynamic has often been seen in many other ministries---as I saw it often with other musicians I grew up with in the Charismatic Movement---people like Helen Baylor, who does Gospel Music/shared her testimony around the world of how God set her free from drugs....even though she goes to Fredrick Prices's church.....and others like Ron Kenoly, whose music was universal in the myriad of elements he used and how much it crossed many camps...with many old school songs such as "Lift Him Up", "Can't Stop Praising His Name", "Ancient of Days" and many others. For a sample of the OLD School songs He made, one can go here---as there's truly nothing else like it.

Same with Karen Wheaton, who was often on TBN even though her worship music was utilized for its leaning toward aggressive praising of the Lord/declaring what He has said.

The same also happened with with using the music of Tye Tribbet /Kirk Franklin from T.D Jakes Church...or using the music of Ce Ce Winans and many others. Same with using the music of others such as Chris Tomlin or "Third Day" in many churches even though those churches may not like his going to a Mega-Church with Andy Stanley, Rick Warren and various others---even though the same musicians have done work with all other theological camps willingly for the sake of the Gospel/Aiding the Saints.

Am I the only one here seeing what appears to be an inconsistency? Why does it seem that in many things such as Music, the CHurch is united deeply and yet unable to acknowledge it if it means actually having to show appreciation to another whom they dislike intensely?

:mmh:

Seeking Him

May 19, 2008
USA
✟10,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It seems to me that when we worship, we are in the Spirit, so there is a unity there. Here is something Joseph Prince pointed out. That in alot of churches the music and worship is anointed and everyone is blessed. But then when the pastor starts to teach, there is alot of law and legalism instead of life being ministered.

Upvote 0

John1032

Mar 22, 2009
✟684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mate, what can I say. As our Messiah said that there are a lot of false teachers and prophets around, and to be wary of them. We also need to be very careful that we don't begin to idolise praise and worship leaders and groups. I've seen them all, and have seen many good people destroyed. One such good praise and worship leader was Geof Bullock of Hillsong, and that church or business destroyed that man, and he walked completely away from our Messiah. And they still continue to destroy people and teach falsely.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't pay any attention to Osteen, and I don't care AT ALL for "contemporary Christian noise" (even though I play in in the worship team every Sunday) - It's "Traditional music" all the way for me, and if it's got a Banjo and a fiddle - all the better.

I'm not all that upset about Osteen's church either. there's a LOT MORE to Church than the Sermon given from the main pulpit - small groups, and fellowships, and action groups, and performance units. I'll wager that folks get what they're looking for there, and God can reach 'em anyway.

I never saw him as "WoF" though - more "Norman Vincent Peale", or "Robert Schuller" - "Gospel Light seeker friendly".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Easy G (G²);52977066 said:
In example, one individual who has been discussed on the boards before is a man known as Joel Osteen--whom many like and whom others dislike when it comes to his theology....and I've been in many churches that critique him extensively (with many points valid on where he may be in error). Whether Baptists, Charismatic, Reformed or many other theological camps, Osteen has been critised in them all...
I'm not a fan of Osteen, but then again, I have to confess that I've only heard him once iirc.
Having said that, who cares what some Baptists, Charismatics,etc have said
about Joel Osteen?
What does GOD say about him? That's all we need to know.
Those other guys are fickle humans.

'​
I love his music and many of the songs he has made that I hear often in nearly all camps of the Christian World---such as "Rejoice in the Lord Always", "I am a friend of God", "Lord You Are Good", "He Knows My Name", "We Give You Honor..." and many others. But what's intriguing to me is that Israel started out at Joel's Church...and is STILL a worship leader at Osteen's Church in Houston, TX. And all without question, the same churches that loved Houghton's music/celebrated it were quick to defend the use of Israel's contemporary music for corporate worship...yet discounted the reality of where the man's songs came from.
Maybe he gets filled at J.O's church.
Can't God use Joel?
....and others like Ron Kenoly, whose music was universal in the myriad of elements he used and how much it crossed many camps...with many old school songs such as "Lift Him Up", "Can't Stop Praising His Name", "Ancient of Days" and many others. For a sample of the OLD School songs He made, one can go here---as there's truly nothing else like it.
Ron Kenoly is the only Christian musician I need lol.
:hug: LOVE that guy

Am I the only one here seeing what appears to be an inconsistency? Why does it seem that in many things such as Music, the CHurch is united deeply and yet unable to acknowledge it if it means actually having to show appreciation to another whom they dislike intensely?

I see no inconsistency.
Love the music, and have no "more" problem with the messages of those
pastors than I do with the messages of 'any' pastors.
NONE of them have all of the answers right.

imo

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm not a fan of Osteen, but then again, I have to confess that I've only heard him once iirc.
Having said that, who cares what some Baptists, Charismatics,etc have said about Joel Osteen?

What does GOD say about him? That's all we need to know.
Those other guys are fickle humans.
Real..
Maybe he gets filled at J.O's church.
Can't God use Joel?

I think the Lord could use Joel despite issues where there may be error...just as it is with all of us.

Ron Kenoly is the only Christian musician I need lol.

:hug: LOVE that guy

Good to know I'm not the only one aware of his work!!!:D

I see no inconsistency.

Love the music, and have no "more" problem with the messages of those
pastors than I do with the messages of 'any' pastors.
NONE of them have all of the answers right.

imo
Amen..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TasManOfGod

Untatted Saint
Sep 15, 2003
Tasmania
✟26,515.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Mate, what can I say. As our Messiah said that there are a lot of false teachers and prophets around, and to be wary of them. We also need to be very careful that we don't begin to idolise praise and worship leaders and groups. I've seen them all, and have seen many good people destroyed. One such good praise and worship leader was Geof Bullock of Hillsong, and that church or business destroyed that man, and he walked completely away from our Messiah. And they still continue to destroy people and teach falsely.
Can you substantiate those accusations?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Some of the best praise and worship I have ever heard came from Jimmy Swagget's ministry-Go figure

Interesting. What style of music was it that he had available?

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Or how about using the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in our worship and not saying anything "negative" about Mormonism?
If they happened to make an invention that all people utilized practically, someone would probably say that it shouldn't be used simply because it came from the Mormons...dumb as that would be when a host of things, be it musical styles or inventions or resources, come from others in camp. One could denounce the Mormons easily and yet still be appreciative of what they contribute.

Within this dicussion, however, we're not talking about camps radically different from Christianity itself as the Mormons are. It's focused upon those who are believers in differing theological camps within Christendom, abeit ones that often have abberational teaching.

Upvote 0

Tallen

Aug 4, 2006
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟8,152.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You don't think that their theology effects their music and worship? That's odd.

I wouldn't consider using music in my worship from anyone that was "aberrational" or out right heretical. Christian or not. No more than I would use music of Hindus or any other that was singing something to their Lord.

People tend to be syncretic, once we allow something other than what YHWH has ordained for our worship, we have corrupted the worship. Look at the Israelites at Mount Horeb, they brought in a false worship to honor YHWH, and it almost cost all of them their lives. It's important to keep our worship as pure as we can letting scripture itself regulate it. The idea is that scripture alone should determine our practice of worship. Sola Scriptura.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You don't think that their theology effects their music and worship? That's odd.
No more odd, IMHO, that it'd be that many of the hymns utilized in Reformed circles were birthed in pubs and used tunes from what was deemed to be secular/wordly in their day--a fact that many in Reformed circles have noted when it comes to others trying to condemn any form of Musical style because it was not made up by the people within a camp.

Music is music, and notes are notes. Be it with classical, jazz or a number of other styles, the lyrical content behind them doesn't determine whether a musical composition is in/of itself negative by it's nature.

I wouldn't consider using music in my worship from anyone that was "aberrational" or out right heretical. Christian or not. No more than I would use music of Hindus or any other that was singing something to their Lord.
That would be in line with your preference, then. For others, there's really no escaping the fact that you will always be using something made by another who came from a camp differing from your own. The fact that we're utilizing the beauty of the internet/keyboards for ministry and biblical discussion is an example of that, seeing how Christians did not invent the internet nor was it originally intended to be a means of spreading the GOspel. As it concerns Hindus, the culture that Hindu music orignated from is something that makes a difference since people from Indian culture use certain styles of rhyme/rhythm univerally...no different than how many Biblical songs made in the Middle Ages had a Eurocentric feel to them even though the style was utilized by other groups people. tend to be syncretic, once we allow something other than what YHWH has ordained for our worship, we have corrupted the worship. Seen circles where the worship services to the Lord use instruments made in India, with the Gospel proclaimed through them...and it's rather beautiful.

People tend to be syncretic, once we allow something other than what YHWH has ordained for our worship, we have corrupted the worship.
"Syncretic" can be a buzzword easily thrown around alot of times, especially when it comes to assuming that the instruments used in one culture were the only ones the Lord would approve on. But the scriptures never note what instruments are allowed to be used in worship for all time...and that goes for other things as well, from using overheads to powerpoints and other insturments. It's the content of the message/lyrics that makes the difference..

Look at the Israelites at Mount Horeb, they brought in a false worship to honor YHWH, and it almost cost all of them their lives.
Through making a golden calf. Had nothing to do with using tambourines since that was used in worship of the Lord as well...and other instruments (i.e. harps, flutes, cymbals, etc) were used in worship of the Lord and yet they could also be used by those against the Lord to worship other things.
It's important to keep our worship as pure as we can letting scripture itself regulate it.
Indeed.
The idea is that scripture alone should determine our practice of worship. Sola Scriptura.
The early church was never for Sola Scriptura. What it was for was Prima Scriptura, with scripture having supremacy as well as tradition. As scripture was never exhaustive nor was it intended to be, making rules where there are none does not go with the principles of scripture when it comes to cultural contexualization and the GOspel via song.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TasManOfGod

Untatted Saint
Sep 15, 2003
Tasmania
✟26,515.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Easy G (G²);60013968 said:
Interesting. What style of music was it that he had available?
JS had a large group of singers led by various highly talented (some ex-professsional) singers. You would just have to listen and experience the presence of the Holy Spirit amongst them.

Upvote 0

Simon Peter

14th Generation PROTESTant
Mar 4, 2004
America
✟4,491.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
As his post was from two and a half years ago, perhaps you should you give him a little more time to respond ;)
As both TasmanOfGod and I are fellow Australians, I should come to his defence by pointing out that he is from Tasmania - things don't seem to move all that fast down there.

While where discussing time-warps, I've noticed that you are from the USA but you are displaying a British flag - RULE BRITANNIA!! Actually I thought that the poms lost that little debarcle over the tea tax a few years back?

Upvote 0