Dallas
✟873,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
With all the mass shootings going on lately I think this is a good idea because there are roughly 840 to every 100,000 people who are incarcerated in Texas. That’s .84% of the population which means there are 99 law abiding citizens to every 1 criminal. So if only 2% of Texans exercised their right to carry that’s twice as many guns in the hands of law abiding citizens than criminals. I expect there will be a lot more than 2% of Texans exercising this right and hopefully these mass shootings will be dramatically reduced by more of the general public stepping in and defending themselves and coming to the aide of others who’s lives are in danger than we’ve seen in the past.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Meh. It hasn't made much difference either way in any of the other 19 states with similar open laws.

There is a big issue of discussion among us who carry concealed about that "more of the general public stepping in" business. Most of the people in forum and person discussion carry only to protect themselves and their own loved ones...not the general public. Leaping into situations that don't have to involve you presents a host of unintended consequences.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If open carry laws are an effective deterrent against mass shootings why did the worst mass shooting in US history take place in nevada which had open carry for any legal weapon at the time of the shooting?

Clearly what we need it open pointing:
0*5_0eyjsa9L80xyOg.png

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If open carry laws are an effective deterrent against mass shootings why did the worst mass shooting in US history take place in nevada which had open carry for any legal weapon at the time of the shooting?

Because it happened at a Country Music Festival where guns most likely were restricted (legal protection of the venue owner), which is true for many such public events and many mass shootings of this type, perpetrators choose soft targets without guns.

But I got to say, even if your assumption is right and some people had guns there, it would not nullify the fact the notion that guns in civilian or volunteer hands help in these kinds of situations. If you want too you can cherry pick any issue to find some kind of exception to the rule, where a shooter chose a hard target like a police station, or people who had guns were too afraid to use them etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Because it happened at a Country Music Festival where guns most likely were restricted (safety and legal protection), which is true for many such public events and many mass shootings of this type, perpetrators choose soft targets without guns.

Yet here we are in a thread with an OP talking about how open carry laws are a remedy to mass shootings. Perhaps we need laws that prevent private property owners from having any say over the weapons carried onto their property?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Yet here we are in a thread with an OP talking about how open carry laws are a remedy to mass shootings.
The same question came to me; the second amendment wasn't written because of the possibility of mass shootings, but for more obvious and general merits/benefits/reasons that would include mass shootings. It is apparent that some potential mass shootings have been halted by those carrying weapons. It is also apparent that some will not be halted by those carrying weapons, even if they are on-site and not themselves immediate targets.

To me, it is unfair to discuss the merits of the laws simply based on their effectiveness/lack of effectiveness, against mass shootings. This is why I hate hearing people promoting 'gun control' in light of mass shootings.

Our 'strain on a gnat, swallow the camel', politically correct, noisy society makes me sick sometimes.

• Agree
Reactions: Desk trauma
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Meh. It hasn't made much difference either way in any of the other 19 states with similar open laws.

There is a big issue of discussion among us who carry concealed about that "more of the general public stepping in" business. Most of the people in forum and person discussion carry only to protect themselves and their own loved ones...not the general public. Leaping into situations that don't have to involve you presents a host of unintended consequences.

Fair enough, but there have been several cases of bystanders coming to the aide of those in danger. Sutherland Springs and White Settlement churches come to mind, one being a mass shooting and the other being a potential mass shooting, in both cases the attacker was stopped by armed civilians.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
To me, it is unfair to discuss the merits of the laws simply based on their effectiveness/lack of effectiveness, against mass shootings. This is why I hate hearing people promoting 'gun control' in light of mass shootings.

Our 'strain on a gnat, swallow the camel', politically correct, noisy society makes me sick sometimes.

It's just a little framing game they play. The News and liberal politicians makes it seem like the only noteworthy incident concerning guns are mass shootings rather than the many thousands of incidents where a gun is used in some way to stop a crime from actual shootings to stop x crime, to simply brandishing it to encourage the would be perp to leave and move on to a place where they won't be shot. I would also include other incidents in this mix like people being stalked by mountain lions and other animals, which may not be reported.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The same question came to me; the second amendment wasn't written because of the possibility of mass shootings, but for more obvious and general merits/benefits/reasons that would include mass shootings. It is apparent that some potential mass shootings have been halted by those carrying weapons. It is also apparent that some will not be halted by those carrying weapons, even if they are on-site and not themselves immediate targets.

We’ll mass shootings in my opinion would be the most impacted situations since the biggest problem in mass shootings is everyone is defenseless. I believe the problem was not that there were too many guns present but instead not enough guns present. In most mass shooting cases the victims are forced to run and hide waiting for their attacker to find them and kill them. That’s why I’m a huge fan of having at least one police officer posted at every school in America.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fair enough, but there have been several cases of bystanders coming to the aide of those in danger. Sutherland Springs and White Settlement churches come to mind, one being a mass shooting and the other being a potential mass shooting, in both cases the attacker was stopped by armed civilians.

In the White Settlement incident, the "good guy with a gun" was designated security for the church...it was his job to get involved.

In the Sutherland Springs incident, a local man with his usual rifle in his pick-up heard shooting and screaming from the church and took up a covered position outside. He opened fire when he saw a man fleeing the church with a rifle. Now, it could have been possible that the man fleeing could have been another "good guy with a gun" (as happened in Arvada, CO, last June)...but under those particular circumstances it was a good bet he was not. Notice that in the Sutherland Springs incident, the "good guy with a gun" didn't just barge into the church when he heard the gunfire.

And, of course, there was the case of the "good guy with a gun" in Arvada being shot by responding police officers. And the case of the "good guy with a gun" being shot by the unseen second shooter in a Walmart a while back.

My point is that the intention of barging into other people's problems unnecessarily is not the real narrative of most people who carry firearms. It might happen, depending heavily on the situation, but most of us are not walking out of our houses planning to be the Lone Ranger.

Reactions: dgiharris
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Clearly what we need it open pointing:
0*5_0eyjsa9L80xyOg.png

because the guy was shooting from long distance from an elevated hotel room.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because it happened at a Country Music Festival where guns most likely were restricted (legal protection of the venue owner), which is true for many such public events and many mass shootings of this type, perpetrators choose soft targets without guns.

But I got to say, even if your assumption is right and some people had guns there, it would not nullify the fact the notion that guns in civilian or volunteer hands help in these kinds of situations. If you want too you can cherry pick any issue to find some kind of exception to the rule, where a shooter chose a hard target like a police station, or people who had guns were too afraid to use them etc.

The shooter was shooting long distance from an elevated hotel window.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
because the guy was shooting from long distance from an elevated hotel room.
How inconsiderate of him to conduct his shooting spree in a manner that was difficult to stop.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yet here we are in a thread with an OP talking about how open carry laws are a remedy to mass shootings. Perhaps we need laws that prevent private property owners from having any say over the weapons carried onto their property?

That law is already in place in Texas, has been for decades.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How inconsiderate of him to conduct his shooting spree in a manner that was difficult to stop.

You asked the question, I answered it. Ya know, I seem to remember a case where a civilian was killed even despite the city having a police department maybe they’re not effective as well?

• Winner
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pavel Mosko

Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You asked the question, I answered it. Ya know, I seem to remember a case where a civilian was killed even despite the city having a police department maybe they’re not effective as well?

Would be fun to employ that logic for other things like: wearing surgical masks to prevent Covid spread, or with the "safe sex" folks of the past with the use of condoms and the spread of AIDS (rather than abstinence), or what about putting fencing around Capitol hill with the folks who mention how they are not full proof thus ineffective and not worth using at the southern border.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's just a little framing game they play. The News and liberal politicians makes it seem like the only noteworthy incident concerning guns are mass shootings rather than the many thousands of incidents where a gun is used in some way to stop a crime from actual shootings to stop x crime, to simply brandishing it to encourage the would be perp to leave and move on to a place where they won't be shot. I would also include other incidents in this mix like people being stalked by mountain lions and other animals, which may not be reported.

Yes, mass shootings are not the only crimes constitutional carry will reduce, unfortunately people don’t hear about the thousands of crimes and attacks that are prevented each year simply by brandishing a firearm like most people do warning the attacker to leave which results in no injuries or casualties at all.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Odd of them to have a signing ceremony for a redundant law.

Any establishment can post signs at entrances prohibiting people from bringing firearms onto the premises and anyone found in violation of that request can face criminal charges regardless if they were aware of the sign or not as long as the sign meets the proper requirements required by the city or state. This law has been in place for decades.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟873,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the White Settlement incident, the "good guy with a gun" was designated security for the church...it was his job to get involved.

In a mass shooting everyone is involved since everyone’s life is in danger.

Upvote 0