Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What does your wife mean when she asks you this question out the blue?
My wife calls me and suddenly asks me this question..
And mind you her tone was not pleasant..

" So do you love me..or are you in love with me...? "

I felt like I was on trial..
To the point where I say...

I love GOD more than you...

Cause HONESTLY...I don't know what " IN LOVE " means!!
To where when I tried to ask her what it means...she says..

" NO!!..NO!!...answer the question!! "

She wanted to know if I loved her...or was I IN LOVE with her?
I'm like what?

Is that even BIBLICAL...is where I immediately moved my thoughts toward because there was a DEVIL on my phone speaking through my wife..

Scriptures explaining this ordeal would be fabulous. Thanks.

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Actually, from a spiritual perspective, and knowing that the greatest commandment in all of Scripture is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, and all your mind, and all your soul, and all your strength, I personally would now take any demands that I be "in love" from a woman as a formal request for idolatry.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, from a spiritual perspective, and knowing that the greatest commandment in all of Scripture is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, and all your mind, and all your soul, and all your strength, I personally would now take any demands that I be "in love" from a woman as a formal request for idolatry.

Didn't intend that one to be funny, but I guess it sorta is, isn't it. Ha!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

I'm like what?

Is that even BIBLICAL...is where I immediately moved my thoughts toward because there was a DEVIL on my phone speaking through my wife..

Being "in love" is the description of romantic love which is mainly emotional and provides good and pleasant goosebumps and feelings toward the object of your love.

Loving a person is a constant act of the will to ensure the greatest well-being of that person.

Notice that Jesus said, "Love God with all your heart, mind and strength AND love your neighbou as yourself." He said to love God and your neighbour, not love God, THEN your neighbour.

The reason why there is not a priority list is that loving God is loving your neighbour (in this case, your wife), and loving your wife is loving God. The two are intertwined.

So it is not a matter of putting God first in the loving, but obeying 1 Corinthians 13 in relation to loving your wife is, in fact, loving God through your obedience to His Word in the loving of your wife. If you are doing this consistently, there would be no reason for your wife to think that she is being unloved, which I think she might be, given her response, as you are describing it.

I really doubt that there is a devil speaking through her. Because I believe the devil is a liar, then if a devil is speaking through her, then everything she is saying is a lie. Is that the case? Or is she expressing something out of a sense that you don't love her as she feels she needs to be loved?

Actually saying to a wife, "I am loving God first" implies that "I am putting my religion first before you", and that would make any wife feel unloved and unappreciated. Actually it is inconsistent with 1 Corinthians 13 to make a statement like that to your wife.

There is a marked difference between God Himself and our religion which is the way we decide to worship and serve God. Notice that Jesus said that we are to love...as we love ourselves. We always make decisions that work toward our greatest personal well-being, like the good cows who eat the delicious tufts of grass, instead of the ultra-religious cows who choose the grass with cowpats on them so that they can have some suffering in their lives. Therefore, if we decide for our own well-being, then we make that same decision concerning our wives. In fact, we put our wives before our own well-being in our decision-making.

This means I would never say to my wife that "God comes first", because she would see it as putting my church involvements before her and that I would be loyal to my church before any loyalty to her. I had that difficulty in one church I went to years ago and it caused great conflict in my marriage until I realised that those church leaders had no right to put a loyalty wedge between my wife and me.

It is not a matter of saying the words, "I love you before everything else.", but it will be your actions which will show your true attitude toward her. A person can say, "I am in love with you", but in actual fact wants to use her to satisfy his own emotional and sexual needs. But a husband who really loves his wife will show it through his attitude and actions toward her, she will know it, and through her actions toward you will show her loving response.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Either she has to explain herself more concretely or treat it as a rhetorical question that doesn't require an answer.
I'd be tempted to be a smart alec though "So what is love, dear?
Longer married couples tend not to ask these questions, I suspect. :)

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,287.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LOL... I'm kind of in the same boat with my own hubby about this very thing. Wives should want their husbands to love God before all others, including us. Sometimes our hormones get the best of us and we react out of the blue, or for no apparent reason, like your wife did. We sometimes need the constant reassuring that you're IN love with us and not putting us in any way of need or neglect. Just because you do love your wife doesn't mean you love God any less. But when your wife expects you to idolize her is treading in some dangerous waters. You may need to have a talk with her asking if anything is upsetting her for her to think in this manner.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,287.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Either she has to explain herself more concretely or treat it as a rhetorical question that doesn't require an answer.
Married for 23 years... I STILL ask this question!! Hubby still gets tongue-tied over it. LOL Things wax and wane all the time. I guess that's just the way life (and marriage) can be.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
LOL... I'm kind of in the same boat with my own hubby about this very thing. Wives should want their husbands to love God before all others, including us. Sometimes our hormones get the best of us and we react out of the blue, or for no apparent reason, like your wife did. We sometimes need the constant reassuring that you're IN love with us and not putting us in any way of need or neglect. Just because you do love your wife doesn't mean you love God any less. But when your wife expects you to idolize her is treading in some dangerous waters. You may need to have a talk with her asking if anything is upsetting her for her to think in this manner.
I think you need to be hired as a wife educator. :)

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I agree. I think that the longevity of a marriage shows that there are actions of love from both spouses toward each other that have cemented the relationship between them.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Married for 23 years... I STILL ask this question!! Hubby still gets tongue-tied over it. LOL Things wax and wane all the time. I guess that's just the way life (and marriage) can be.
This is why successful marriages have been between friends who have been able to maintain their close friendship when the romance side had faded at times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
You make women sound very silly and foolish.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
because there was a DEVIL on my phone speaking through my wife..
I'm sorry for your wife that you think that devils speak through her. You might need counseling if you regularly have those kind of thoughts. You would be better off asking your wife to explain her needs more fully to her. If you react to her as though she has "devils" she may be confused as to whether you love her.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'm sorry for your wife that you think that devils speak through her. You might need counseling if you regularly have those kind of thoughts. You would be better off asking your wife to explain her needs more fully to her. If you react to her as though she has "devils" she may be confused as to whether you love her.
So women aren't emotional Hetta? I don't notice anti women sentiment on this thread. Seems you have decided to take offence on behalf of all of them.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So women aren't emotional Hetta? I don't notice anti women sentiment on this thread. Seems you have decided to take offence on behalf of all of them.
We are all emotional beings. I never said there was anti-women sentiment, nor that I am offended.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Site Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟457,287.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You make women sound very silly and foolish.
Thanks?! :confused: I can burp my ABCs, too!

The OP said this happened out of the blue. I took it to mean it is not a long-standing issue.

I am so tired of people handing out "here, go see a counselor" advice like tickets to a pony ride when sometimes all that is needed is some more open communications between the couple. Display some empathy, try to relate, as a woman myself tends to do. Now, if opening up to each other is NOT working in the least and many different approaches have been exhausted yet failed... then YES, seek help elsewhere, Pastor, Christian counselor, doctors, therapy, pills, etc...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lambkisses

Dec 13, 2016
usa
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I'm like what?

To me, a question like this runs along the same vein as the question the sadduceesses asked Jesus concerning the widow in heaven and to whom she is wed in the hereafter. It seems to be a rethorical question which blends concepts from two vastly different frames of reference. In the case of the question posed to Jesus one game of reference is temporal Jewish tradition and the other being the eternal kingdom of God (remember God the father is neither Jewish nor is he Christian in the truest sense of meaning). As such it is incorrect to pose a question in one frame of reference and expect a valid answer in the other which would hold the same meaning in the first. The question your wife posed is very similar in that regards. Assuming she is Christian and yours is a Christian marriage, the way she poses the question seems to blend the Christian concept of Love (ie love your neighbor, love God, love Jesus) with the concept of romantic love. This is incongruous because romantic love is really a fairly recent development when compared against the "love" as described in the bible or even "erotic love"(lust). Our concept of "romantic love " comes largely from the Middle Ages as an evolution of "courtly love" which was itself stemming from medieval man's need to reconcile "erotica love (lust)"and the prevailing morality of the time. You can even say that "I fell in love with her" is the erotic equivalent of "oh tho did I get this object in Austin? Aaah well it fell off the back of a truck, if you know what I mean". Look at Pyrimus and Phisbee, Alexander and Roxanne, Helen and Paris, and Caesar/Anthony and Cleopatra; wet have all heard the romanticized stories told in our modern context of "falling in love" or "being together because we love each other" but looking at the texts at face value it is clear that those stories are more about lust and or political union and not the "when a boy meets a girl" narrative we are use too. The whole concept of meeting some one, dating, deciding he/she is the "one", then getting married is a very modern and arguably western concept. The truth is for most of history marriage has been a business contract. Even looking at what Jesus and the OT says about marriage, (love your wife as Christ loves the church, Abraham having a child from the maid of Sarah, not coveting the wife of your neighbor) it is closer to a guideline of good business ethics than an 80's love ballad. In fact the bible shows that in instances where people were "smitten, i.e love at firs tsight" (David and the wife of Uriaha, Jacob and Rachel) there were serious consequences. It is almost add if the bible cautions against "falling in love". Going back to the question your wife posed, what is her frame of reference for"love" and"in love" Biblical? , Historical? , Contemporary?, or a loaded convolution of all three?
If it is the last I would answer your wife much like how Jesus answered the Sadducees.
"I love you as Christ Loves his church and would not want to live my life with out you in it".

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

It means your wife thinks she's making a semantic fine point but is herself, quite confused.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry that you don't understand why Jesus told Peter " Get behind me, Satan! "
I reckon if any husband said that to his wife during a conflict there would be an instant divorce!!!

Upvote 0