✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Orginated by St. Augustine (I would assume):
For this reason, the man who lives by God's standards and not by man's, must needs be a lover of the good, and it follows that he must hate what is evil. Further, since no one is evil by nature, but anyone who is evil is evil because of a perversion of nature, the man who lives by God's standards has a duty of "perfect hatred" (Psalm 139:22) towards those who are evil; that is to say, he should not hate the person because of the fault, nor should he love the fault because of the person. He should hate the fault, but love the man. And when the fault has been cured there will remain only what he ought to love, nothing that he should hate. (14:6, Penguin ed., transl. Bettenson)

1 John 4:8–9 (ESV)
8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him.

Kind of self-explanatory throughout the Bible that we aren't to love sin.

Upvote 0

AndrewK9

Sep 15, 2012
Planet Earth
✟15,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Orginated by St. Augustine (I would assume):
For this reason, the man who lives by God's standards and not by man's, must needs be a lover of the good, and it follows that he must hate what is evil. Further, since no one is evil by nature, but anyone who is evil is evil because of a perversion of nature, the man who lives by God's standards has a duty of "perfect hatred" (Psalm 139:22) towards those who are evil; that is to say, he should not hate the person because of the fault, nor should he love the fault because of the person. He should hate the fault, but love the man. And when the fault has been cured there will remain only what he ought to love, nothing that he should hate. (14:6, Penguin ed., transl. Bettenson)

1 John 4:8–9 (ESV)
8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him.

Kind of self-explanatory throughout the Bible that we aren't to love sin.

I did not say we should not hate sin. I am talking about how people always use that turn of phrase.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did not say we should not hate sin. I am talking about how people always use that turn of phrase.
Well the Bible teaches that we are to love one another. It also teaches that we are to hate sin. To come up with "love the sinner, hate the sin" really isn't that much of a stretch. (Nevertheless, kudos to the person who first coined the phrase.)

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Out of curiosity, I often hear the phrase "love the sinner, hate the sin" used very often and it's used by a vast majority of people. Is there a scripture verse that supports this saying? Where does this saying originate?

I think the verse below sums it up. Also note the bolded verse. Just because someone is a sinner doesn't mean we should hate them or treat them with disgust. God loves all. HE does not want the death of sinners but that they come to repentance and know that HE IS THE I AM.

Matthew 9:9-13

As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him.

While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and “sinners” came and ate with him and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and ‘sinners’?”

On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’a For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Upvote 0

AndrewK9

Sep 15, 2012
Planet Earth
✟15,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think the verse below sums it up. Also note the bolded verse. Just because someone is a sinner doesn't mean we should hate them or treat them with disgust. God loves all. HE does not want the death of sinners but that they come to repentance and know that HE IS THE I AM.

Matthew 9:9-13

As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him.

While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and “sinners” came and ate with him and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and ‘sinners’?”

On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’a For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

I did not say that either. I do know that Though you will not see a particular verse, ver batim, that says, "Hate the sin, but love the sinner," I do know that there are many places in scripture which say to hate sin as God hates it. I am just looking for a scripture that confirms something that's not only said often, but believed by, many, MANY people.

Upvote 0

Eloy

Light
Sep 16, 2012
✟656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"hating the sin, but not the sinner sinning" is not Biblical. Both testaments clearly state that God hates the sinner, and he loves the righteous. period. God has created a heaven for the righteous, and a hell for the sinner, he did not create a hell to punish sins, because a sin or action by itself cannot be punished, the sin is always attached to the sinner whom is responsible for doing the act. Think, if a robber robs a bank, the law cannot separate the robbery action from the robber whom does the robbery, as, "Shame on you robbery, bad robbery whom robbed from others." No, that's nonsense which cannot save the robber from their robbery. Instead the law rightly punishes the robber, because you cannot punish a robbery, for no robbery is not attached to any doer of it. The doer rightly is condemned, and not the action itself.

When God Almighty commands all flesh to repent and to be holy, his commandment is not a request to his creation, nor is it even a suggestion, but a clear cut commandment from our Creator to his creation. "You repent and be holy, because I your God am holy." And if we refuse the Almighty's direction, then we receive his Judgment, and are separated from him, and receive his wrath and destruction from him and not his love and life. Think, if you have children and you Tell them, "Be good Johnny, or, Be good Mary." And one child listens to you and does good: would you be pleased with them? Yes? Ok, now let's say a child refuses to listen, and instead they curse both you and other people, and also is physically abusive and violent and hurts people, and lies and cheats and robs, and also kills your child: would you be pleased with them? No? Okay. Now let's say, the evil child realizes their disobedience to "Be good", and feels bad about their disobedience and about all of the destruction that they have done, and apologizes begging for forgiveness, and then starts "Being good": would you continue with your displeasure, or, would you instead change and be pleased with the child whom has repented and is now "Being good"? It is the same with God, He Tells us, "Be good, be holy, and be righteousness, both to me first and also to others." And if we refuse, and live for the devil, than our actions are what we are, whether a beloved child or a despised child. And according to our works determines whether we abide in heaven with the other saints and sit at his table with the family of God, or else be tormented in hell with the other violent sinners whom disobey God and whom hate Christ and his holy children.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eloy

Light
Sep 16, 2012
✟656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That would mean God hates you.

You can not judge another soul as God hating them until you know whether or not they are righteous or sinuous.

Thus says the Lord God, as it is written, "Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated." Please Read- Malachi 1:2,3+ Romans 8:13.

"And Iesous opened his mouth, and tought them, saying, Misjudge not, that you all be not misjudged. For with what judgment you all judge, you all be judged. And with what measure you all measure, it will be measured again to you. Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment." Matthew 7:1,2 + John 7:24.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Victory of the Cross

Jesus is the Word of God
Mar 3, 2005
✟41,510.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
No. God hates sinners.

Which includes you and everyone else on the planet

Jesus however said he came for sinners, not self righteous morons inflated by their own pious self worth.

For God so loved the world (includes plenty of sinners!)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You can not judge another soul as God hating them until you know whether or not they are righteous or sinuous.

Romans 3...
10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

None of us are "righteous" in our own right. None of us are without sin. We are incapable of not sinning. If we were capable of not sinning, Christ wouldn't have had to die. If we were capable of not sinning as a Christian, there would be no need for confession of sins.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0