✟697.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Timothy 6:10 King James Version (KJV)

10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Sometime I purchase lottery tickets, not hoping for $60million, but coveting nonetheless. The Word says I have erred from the faith. So I should stop. King David said, "Give me neither riches nor poverty." Other scripture says, "Be content with what ye have." Can I make the world a better place than God if I have $60 million dollars? If God wants his work to go forth it will go forth. I don't need to have a million .. or $500,000, or $10,000. If I honour God's Word he will honour my prayer to help people even without any further involvement of my own. There are already wealthy people he can use. My job is first to honour his Word. "Riches are a snare and a trap, which drown men ..." A tree without roots can't live .. evil without the root cannot live .. that root is "the love of money, which is the root of all evil."

Reactions: Tharseo

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
1 Timothy 6:10 King James Version (KJV)

10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Sometime I purchase lottery tickets, not hoping for $60million, but coveting nonetheless. The Word says I have erred from the faith. So I should stop. King David said, "Give me neither riches nor poverty." Other scripture says, "Be content with what ye have." Can I make the world a better place than God if I have $60 million dollars? If God wants his work to go forth it will go forth. I don't need to have a million .. or $500,000, or $10,000. If I honour God's Word he will honour my prayer to help people even without any further involvement of my own. There are already wealthy people he can use. My job is first to honour his Word. "Riches are a snare and a trap, which drown men ..." A tree without roots can't live .. evil without the root cannot live .. that root is "the love of money, which is the root of all evil."
I take a Lotto ticket because (1) the Lotteries Commission gave the not for profit organisation I work for $45.000 this year, and they have been giving a sizeable yearly grant every year I have been involved with it (20 years). (2) Our organisation is undergoing a funding crisis because of problems with our government funding, so the manager and I shard a lotto ticket with the understanding that half of any major prize goes to the organisation. (3) Because I and my wife are on a retirement pension and have hardly any savings, the money will help us have an reasonable lifestyle to see us out.

I don't think that this is coveting at all. It is just using another resource for income. If the organisation was fully funded and not having to face possible closure with hundreds of clients facing financial ruin because we are unable to help them any longer, and I had $100,000 in the bank to see us for the rest of our retirement, I wouldn't bother taking a lotto ticket.

But it is fun seeing the results every Wednesday and Saturday!

Upvote 0

RobertM.

Dec 17, 2018
Lakefield
✟697.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I take a Lotto ticket ... Because I and my wife are on a retirement pension and have hardly any savings, the money will help us have an reasonable lifestyle to see us out ... (if) I had $100,000 in the bank to see us for the rest of our retirement, I wouldn't bother taking a lotto ticket.
!

"Give, and it shall be given unto you." That's a promise from God who can not lie, not a gamble, regardless of how small a gamble.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
"Give, and it shall be given unto you." That's a promise from God who can not lie, not a gamble, regardless of how small a gamble.
Well, I have decided to adopt the Prosperity Doctrine and give to the Lotteries Commission so I can be blessed with them giving me heaps of money so I can have some Lamborghini (is that some kind of Italian pasta by the way?) because to have it shipped all the way to New Zealand from a good Italian restaurant will cost a truckload of dollars!

Upvote 0

RobertM.

Dec 17, 2018
Lakefield
✟697.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I have decided to adopt the Prosperity Doctrine and give to the Lotteries Commission so I can be blessed with them giving me heaps of money so I can have some Lamborghini (is that some kind of Italian pasta by the way?) because to have it shipped all the way to New Zealand from a good Italian restaurant will cost a truckload of dollars!
If your prosperity is in dollars, I pity your spiritual life.

Reactions: Tharseo
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
How is someone on this side of a computer screen supposed to know if you're joking?
People who have known me since 2000 and who have read my posts know that I definitely do not support the Prosperity Doctrine, and if it appears that I do, and if they read my posts carefully they would know that I was not being serious. Of course, keeping to kicking the ball and not the player would be okay too!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RobertM.

Dec 17, 2018
Lakefield
✟697.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People who have known me since 2000 and who have read my posts know that I definitely do not support the Prosperity Doctrine, and if it appears that I do, and if they read my posts carefully they would know that I was not being serious. Of course, keeping to kicking the ball and not the player would be okay too!
King James Version
For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned. Mathew 12:37

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,704.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
King James Version
For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned. Mathew 12:37
Very true!
Oh! Looking at the context, Jesus wasn't talking to people like me at all!
Context, context, context and more context - context is everything!

Upvote 0

RobertM.

Dec 17, 2018
Lakefield
✟697.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Very true!
Oh! Looking at the context, Jesus wasn't talking to people like me at all!
Context, context, context and more context - context is everything!
Oscarr .. everything Christ said was to us. You won't find the word 'context' in the Word.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sometime I purchase lottery tickets, not hoping for $60million, but coveting nonetheless.
Hi, Robert :) I am Bill :) God bless you :)

So, you already know about Hebrews 13:5 in which the writer says,

"be content with such things as you have".

So, our attention can be about if it is ok to want some money, or the attention can be about how God's love deeply satisfies us so we are not wishing for more and more money.

I think this scripture is not mainly about how much we have, but how much we are satisfied because of being with God in His love.

And as we more and more mature in submitting to God in His peace, we discover how much God does without it depending on money, though He is very creative with whatever money and cents we have and share :)

So, enjoy discovering how much God can do with it, versus how much you have.

Upvote 0