Arizona
✟144,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just an update to tell about my new discovery using cast iron.

Previously, I had recommended using high heat to cook eggs, bacon etc. to keep them from sticking. But recently I didn't get my pan heated hot enough and the eggs went in and didn't sizzle. I thought, "Oh no, they are going to stick."

It turned out that they came off just fine and, in fact, actually better than the high-heat method. I believe the reason it worked this time, when in the past low heat would give me a sticky mess, is because by now my pan is very well-seasoned.

The added benefit is that the eggs cooked up very white without that scorched butter color and sort of crispy texture on the bottom of the cooked egg. Personally, I don't mind it that way, but my wife really likes the "clean" egg look. She prefers a poached egg kind of look and texture, so the low-heat method comes out very close to that.

I've cooked eggs that way several times now and it works every time.

So, for those who are just starting out you need to use high heat for awhile ... until you don't. :) It just depends on how well-seasoned your frying pan is.

Still lovin' my cast iron.

Upvote 0

_Dave_

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2019
Arizona
✟144,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just cooked up some eggs for my daughter on my new griddle. It now works with low-heat on the griddle too.

I will say that when I first got the griddle I did use the high-heat method of a while, but have used the griddle quite a bit and it is now very well-seasoned too. The eggs in the photo were perfectly "slideable."

Apologies for the out-of-focus photo. My phone camera is busted and won't focus.
eggs.jpg

Upvote 0

SamsonXX

Apr 22, 2019
Missouri
Visit site
✟1,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Just an update to tell about my new discovery using cast iron.

Previously, I had recommended using high heat to cook eggs, bacon etc. to keep them from sticking. But recently I didn't get my pan heated hot enough and the eggs went in and didn't sizzle. I thought, "Oh no, they are going to stick."

It turned out that they came off just fine and, in fact, actually better than the high-heat method. I believe the reason it worked this time, when in the past low heat would give me a sticky mess, is because by now my pan is very well-seasoned.

The added benefit is that the eggs cooked up very white without that scorched butter color and sort of crispy texture on the bottom of the cooked egg. Personally, I don't mind it that way, but my wife really likes the "clean" egg look. She prefers a poached egg kind of look and texture, so the low-heat method comes out very close to that.

I've cooked eggs that way several times now and it works every time.

So, for those who are just starting out you need to use high heat for awhile ... until you don't. :) It just depends on how well-seasoned your frying pan is.

Still lovin' my cast iron.

iu

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I use Le Creuset dutch ovens and bakeware. It’s very durable and heavy. The pots are wonderful for canning and the jams never scorch. For every day cooking I use stainless steel but I’d like to replace them with copper.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I know you're joking, but so far I am extremely pleased with the non-stick properties of these pans ... better than any non-stick pan we've ever had.

Saying that, however, there are some negatives about these things. They are HEAVY! They take more work to maintain. And you can't take one backpacking ... although I did once when I was 25 years old and stupid for my age. :)
I wasn't joking?

Upvote 0

_Dave_

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2019
Arizona
✟144,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Been a while since anybody has posted to this cast iron skillet topic, but I wanted to update.

When my 91-year-old mother died in March I inherited her cast iron skillet that was passed down from her mother, my grandma. I know for a fact that Mom hadn't been using that skillet, at least for as long as I can remember, as I would have noticed during my visits. So I was interested in how it would perform after being stored for so long.

It was in surprisingly good shape ... no rust, pretty much flat, inside was mirror-smooth, and the outside had decades of grime on the bottom, but no rust. I scraped off the crud from the bottom to reveal markings that made it a small-logo Griswold #8 704F Erie PA, which placed it as being manufactured between 1939 and 1957 in Erie, Pennsylvania.

The only thing I did to the inside was scrub it real good with hot water, a metal scrubber and a little bit of soap, dry it thoroughly, then give it my typical seasoning treatment with avocado oil. Then I dabbed in a little butter and broke a couple eggs in. I was shocked! After the eggs cooked up a little I lifted the pan to test to see if they were sticking and they almost slid out onto the stove top.

Absolutely amazing. I've heard that the quality of those old Griswolds is way better than the newer skillets today ... and they are so right.

What I especially appreciate is knowing that this is likely the very skillet that my grandma used to make her delicious fried chicken that we enjoyed so much when us kids spent summers on her Iowa farm in the early 60s. It has real sentimental value. And it is now our family's go-to skillet.

Upvote 0