New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Agape (translated as Love) lays down His own life for the Shalom (Everything set right) and Shabat (Rest) of His neighbor. Agape is always a loss to the first person and if this causes Him suffering then He has shown us that He is willing to suffer even unto death.
In imitation of Him, we should do likewise.

• Informative
Reactions: GosDontez
Upvote 0

PureWolf

Feb 11, 2006
✟12,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's a tough call. If you love someone you might suffer for their happiness. In the case of love that is returned the 2 parties would strive to keep one another from suffering. At the same time as far as unrequited love, some may say that if you love YOURSELF you would not allow yourself to suffer for someone who does not care.

Upvote 0

GosDontez

Wisdom Fuel
Sep 14, 2017
Stone Mountain
Visit site
✟17,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Agape (translated as Love) lays down His own life for the Shalom (Everything set right) and Shabat (Rest) of His neighbor. Agape is always a loss to the first person and if this causes Him suffering then He has shown us that He is willing to suffer even unto death.

Hey Angus, thanks for replying.

Ok, you say we should. So do you suffer in imitation of "He"?

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey Angus, thanks for replying.

Ok, you say we should. So do you suffer in imitation of "He"?
I have done, although it is not something that I seek or enjoy.
And I continue to do so daily as reflected in the decisions that I make, because I want to be like Him. The question is: In this situation I am faced with do I elevate my own priorities or do I elevate the good priority of my neighbor?

• Prayers
Upvote 0

GosDontez

Wisdom Fuel
Sep 14, 2017
Stone Mountain
Visit site
✟17,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have done, although it is not something that I seek or enjoy.
And I continue to do so daily as reflected in the decisions that I make, because I want to be like Him. The question is: In this situation I am faced with do I elevate my own priorities or do I elevate the good priority of my neighbor?

Well, I can't reply to that because I don't know the situation. But I can listen, if you wanna tell.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, I can't reply to that because I don't know the situation. But I can listen, if you wanna tell.
Well...todays little situation (for example): I am the Chief Officer (2nd in charge) aboard a ship. At lunch time do I just go and do my own dishes as is the normal protocol aboard these ships, or will I pick up the dishes of the other guys and do them as well. Will I also accept the dishes of those who now want to give me more to do while laughing and then perhaps do the Cooks clean up as well? Will I become the servant of all even while my legitimate position is one of respected rank?

Upvote 0

GosDontez

Wisdom Fuel
Sep 14, 2017
Stone Mountain
Visit site
✟17,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well...todays little situation (for example): I am the Chief Officer (2nd in charge) aboard a ship. At lunch time do I just go and do my own dishes as is the normal protocol aboard these ships, or will I pick up the dishes of the other guys and do them as well. Will I also accept the dishes of those who now want to give me more to do while laughing and then perhaps do the Cooks clean up as well? Will I become the servant of all even while my legitimate position is one of respected rank?

I'm going to "cheek this" as my first response by saying, "the burdens of command".

Now a bit more serious.

My military time was short, but I was also 2nd in Command for a time in basic. Trivial, compared to your position, but the basics are pretty much the same.

I took the burden off the Platoon Guide so he could look good and our Platoon could be the best. (I was assistant. But later during an inspection, the Battalion Commander asked why I wasn't Platoon Guide. Our Drill Sergeant could have thrown me under the Howitzer, but he just said, "I already have a Platoon Guide".)

And we were the best, efficient. The problem was, I was doing too much. And we were told, me and Platoon Guide, one mess up and we were done. See, they had already been through two failed Platoon Guides and assistants before "we" were chosen. So we only had one shot.

Because I was doing most of the organizing and keeping all in order, I failed to delegate, and challenge the Platoon Guide when he needed to step up. One day, I was so burned out, I forgot to make sure the barrack floors were buffed, and since I had taken on so much, I was expected to do "EVERYTHING". Including checking behind the men. I was effectively a baby sitter who forgot to check behind the babies.

So, we both were demoted.

I'm not giving you advice. I still don't have all the info. But maybe there's something in what I said. Even if all it is to say, "I understand your burden."

If I were to suggest (again, I don't know the dynamics of your command structure or the temperament of your superiors), but what would happen if you didn't do everyone else's dishes?

Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

GosDontez

Wisdom Fuel
Sep 14, 2017
Stone Mountain
Visit site
✟17,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's a tough call. If you love someone you might suffer for their happiness. In the case of love that is returned the 2 parties would strive to keep one another from suffering. At the same time as far as unrequited love, some may say that if you love YOURSELF you would not allow yourself to suffer for someone who does not care.

Hey Wolf. I'm just now seeing your reply. Been trying to catch up. I have another thread where the replies are coming fast and often.

Considering your reply, I take it you speak from experience??

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm going to "cheek this" as my first response by saying, "the burdens of command".

Now a bit more serious.

My military time was short, but I was also 2nd in Command for a time in basic. Trivial, compared to your position, but the basics are pretty much the same.

I took the burden off the Platoon Guide so he could look good and our Platoon could be the best. (I was assistant. But later during an inspection, the Battalion Commander asked why I wasn't Platoon Guide. Our Drill Sergeant could have thrown me under the Howitzer, but he just said, "I already have a Platoon Guide".)

And we were the best, efficient. The problem was, I was doing too much. And we were told, me and Platoon Guide, one mess up and we were done. See, they had already been through two failed Platoon Guides and assistants before "we" were chosen. So we only had one shot.

Because I was doing most of the organizing and keeping all in order, I failed to delegate, and challenge the Platoon Guide when he needed to step up. One day, I was so burned out, I forgot to make sure the barrack floors were buffed, and since I had taken on so much, I was expected to do "EVERYTHING". Including checking behind the men. I was effectively a baby sitter who forgot to check behind the babies.

So, we both were demoted.

I'm not giving you advice. I still don't have all the info. But maybe there's something in what I said. Even if all it is to say, "I understand your burden."

If I were to suggest (again, I don't know the dynamics of your command structure or the temperament of your superiors), but what would happen if you didn't do everyone else's dishes?
I know that the example I offer is a very trivial and menial one, so please don't read into it to much. As far as my legitimate authority on the job is concerned, I understand my responsibilities, as does our Lord.

Suffice to say that social lowering in this sort of environment often makes it more difficult to maintain legitimate authority and so other avenues need to be sought that are more in keeping with His ways, and that end up being at least as successful in the long run.

As for what would happen? Nothing would happen except that I would know that I have chosen to ignore the prompting of the Spirit to show a little Love in imitation of Him.

Who, being in very nature God,

did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;

rather, he made himself nothing

by taking the very nature of a servant,

being made in human likeness.

And being found in appearance as a man,

he humbled himself

(Philippians 2)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PureWolf

Feb 11, 2006
✟12,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey Wolf. I'm just now seeing your reply. Been trying to catch up. I have another thread where the replies are coming fast and often.

Considering your reply, I take it you speak from experience??

Kind of. I've found myself going out of my way and bending backwards for guys who wouldnt do the same for me, but claim they care about me or that I am important to them. No matter what I did I was never good enough to be a girlfriend. The saving grace is, I am still a virgin and never let them persuade me into sex.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Love Hurts
Nazareth, Various Artists...EVERLY BROTHERS!
Love hurts
Love scars
Love wounds and marks
Any heart not tough or strong enough
To take a lot of pain, take a lot of pain
Love is like a cloud, it holds a lot of rain
Love hurts
Ooh love hurts

I'm young
I know
But even so
I know a thing or two, I learned from you
I really learned a lot, really learned a lot
Love is like a flame, it burns you when it's hot
Love hurts
Ooh love hurts

Some fools think
Of happiness, blissfulness, togetherness
Some fools fool themselves, I guess
They're not foolin' me
I know it isn't true I know it isn't true
Love is just a lie made to make you blue
Love hurts
Ooh love hurts
Ooh love hurts

I know it isn't true
I know it isn't true
Love is just a lie made to make you blue
Love hurts
Ooh love hurts
Ooh, love hurts, ooh

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
LOVE / loving is the most desirable quality and character trait that we believers can possess.
It is assessed as being greater than faith, and greater than hope in the Bible. Let's Look!

To Love (agape') is NOT optional...They are COMMANDMENTS! To be spiritually UN-loving is SIN.
Unregenerated Man is incapable of spiritual "agape'"... a "love" by Man acceptable to God.
Goats cannot be "loving" or acceptable to God. Only sheep can.
Man on his own can only "philos" (brotherly man-to-man) and/or "eros" (erotic man-to-man)...be nice-nice.
The TRI-UNE God unconditionally LOVES (agape') us sinners...enough to save us through the "substitutional atonement"
of Jesus of Nazareth, The Christ, The Divine Messiah, Son of God, Son of Man.The God-Man.
...God loves sinners both before and after their salvation.

How do believers return to God that LOVE (agape')???...OBEY! TRUST! FOLLOW! etc through God the Holy Spirit.
No where does Jesus say or imply that Man can use their non-spiritual "love" of UN-believers to be saved.
It is spiritually impossible for an UN-believer to "love" into eternal life.

The Bible clearly and directly teaches that:
spirit-led BELIEF/FAITH unto salvation...THEN...FOLLOWING after salvation are required.
John 3 + Ephesians 2 + Matthew 16: 24-27 (ALL CITES ARE NASB)

Jesus commanded his disciples to "love "ONE ANOTHER""...mutual and reciprocal love.
John 13:34-35; John 15; 1 John 2:3-6 (NASB)

Spiritual "Brotherly love" comes from God,...NOT from the heart of unregenerated/unsaved Man.

1 John 4:7, 11 [ God Is Love ]
Beloved, (believers)
let us love "ONE ANOTHER",
for (spiritual) love is FROM God;
and everyone who loves (ONE ANOTHER),
is born of God (saved)
and knows God....
Beloved, (believers) if God so loved (agape) us,
we also ought to love "ONE ANOTHER"....

Romans 5:5
and hope does not disappoint,
because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts
THROUGH (God) the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Galatians 5:22
But the fruit of (God) the (Holy) Spirit is love...

1 Peter 4:8...
Above all , keep fervent in your LOVE for "ONE ANOTHER" (believers) ,
because love covers a multitude of sins.

The "BIG TWO" is the underlying basis of Moses' "BIG 10" and many other "LAWS".

Luke 10...Jesus answers the unbelieving lawyer's questions...

25 And a lawyer stood up and put Him to the test, saying,
"Teacher, what shall I (the lawyer) do to inherit eternal life?"

26 And He (Jesus) said to him, (an answer with a question!)
"What is written in the Law? (The Law of Moses!) How does IT read to you?"

27And he (the lawyer) answered,

(BIG ONE:)
"YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD
WITH ALL YOUR HEART (spirit), AND
WITH ALL YOUR SOUL (personality), AND
WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, (body)
AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; (emotions+reason+decision)....AND

(BIG TWO:)
(YOU SHALL LOVE) YOUR NEIGHBOR AS (just like) YOURSELF."

28 And He (Jesus) said to him (the lawyer),
"You have answered correctly;
DO THIS AND YOU WILL LIVE."

29 But wishing to justify himself, he (the lawyer) said to Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"

ANSWER: Read: The Good Samaritan Story which answers by story and illustration.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Love could feel like suffering.
Suppose you gave $100 to someone who needed it. It could feel terrible if one loves money and hates to part with it.
The next guy could give away his last $100 and feel joy about it for helping others because he knows God could replace that money any time, but really doesn't place alot of value on money.

Upvote 0