Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Love is fulfillment of the law?

This is what the LORD and Jesus says about that to Israel:

Ezekiel 20:
1 Now in the seventh year, in the fifth month, on the tenth of the month, certain of the elders of Israel came to inquire of the LORD, and sat before me. 2 And the word of the LORD came to me saying, 3 “Son of adam! speak to the elders of Israel and say to them,........................

25 “I also gave them statutes that were not good and ordinances by which they could not live;
26 and I pronounced them unclean because of their gifts, in that they caused all their firstborn to pass through the fire so that I might make them desolate, in order that they might know that I am the LORD.”’
27 “Therefore, son of adam, speak! to the house of Israel and say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord GOD, “Yet in this your fathers have blasphemed Me by acting treacherously against Me.

Rom 2:24
For the name of God is blasphemed on your account among the nations, according as it is written.

Lazarus and the Rich Man - Here a little, there a little - Commentary

LUKE 16:27
"Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house,
28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them,
lest they also come to this place of torment.' "

Revelation 14:11
And the smoke of the tormenting of them is ascending into Ages to-Ages....... [Luke 16:24,26]
There doesn't appear to be any correlation at all
between this post reply of yours,
and my post you quoted.
Could you explain if there is, in your own words ?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Rabbis and Torah scholars teach us, and Jesus confirms, that there are two verses upon which all of Torah is based:
1. Love the LORD thy God with all thy heart, all thy mind, and all thy strength
2. Love your neighbor as yourself
Every commandment fits into one of those two categories.

The only question you need to ask is, Which commandments are for me? For Jews there is the 613 of the Mosaic covenant. For Gentiles, there are the obvious universal laws given to Adam and Noah, don't kill, don't steal, etc; these laws are discussed in the NT.
Isn't it the same as the Golden Rule?
It doesn't just apply to Christianity and Judaism:

Matt 7:
12 “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets

The Golden Rule in World Religions

Christianity All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye so to them; for this is the law and the prophets.
Matthew 7:1
Confucianism Do not do to others what you would not like yourself. Then there will be no resentment against you, either in the family or in the state.
Analects 12:2
Buddhism Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful.
Udana-Varga 5,1
Hinduism This is the sum of duty; do naught onto others what you would not have them do unto you.
Mahabharata 5,1517
Islam No one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother that which he desires for himself.
Sunnah
Judaism What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellowman.
This is the entire Law; all the rest is commentary.

Talmud, Shabbat 3id
Taoism Regard your neighbor’s gain as your gain, and your neighbor’s loss as your own loss.
Tai Shang Kan Yin P’ien
Zoroastrianism That nature alone is good which refrains from doing another whatsoever is not good for itself.
Dadisten-I-dinik, 94,5

Reactions: Open Heart
Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Love apart from and has nothing to do with sex... That is where many fail and fall...

which of the Holy Commandments says that?!, and what if we abstain from sex/marital relationships but have another god/lord(christ)/spirit instead of having only the true One?!, i ask this question because as far as i can remember the matter at hand in Scripture is spiritual things (not physical/material) and mostly the difference between spiritual and spiritual

1 Corinthians 2:12-14 "we received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit which is from God, that we might know the things that were freely given to us by God. And we speak of these things, not with words taught by human wisdom, but with those taught by the Spirit, comparing spiritual things with spiritual things. Now the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned."

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There are those that have imitated real Love but there are two key differences 1. real Love comes from the sincerity of the heart iow's much more than just a random act of kindness. In fact, I Cor. 13 talks about Love being kind but that kindness is a useful kindness, thus much more than just a smile or helping hand. 2. Love transforms people. IOW's there is a purpose it isn't just some random act.

in that case are you faithful to the true love?!, because some people destroyed many others in the name of so-called "love"

Blessings

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Dear mmbatlestar. Yes, love is the fulfilment of law, God is Love and God wants loving sons and daughters. In Matthew 22: Jesus tells us: The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself. In verse 40 we are told: on these Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets. God is Love, and love is the greatest. The Bible tells us: Give up all selfish and unloving thoughts and words, remember always that God is Love and God wants us to love and care always.
Jesus died out of Love for all of us, and Love is very catching. Matthew 7: 7-10; tells us: Ask and you shall receive. We keep asking God for Love and Compassion, for joy and always kind words. Satan and his followers will flee from ALL LOVE. Why not try is? Love will always be around us, we just ask and thank God. I say this with love, mmbattlestar. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Well said. Thank you for your response. I am 100% sure that love is the fulfillment of the law. I mean, what's the harm in loving God with all your heart? There is none. Love conquers ALL things.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
in that case are you faithful to the true love?!, because some people destroyed many others in the name of so-called "love"

Blessings
I purpose to be true to that Love. But remember scripture tells us that Love does no harm. IOW's if we are destroying someone it is not Love at all. But that being said, Love often times hurts. There is a huge difference between someone being "HURT" and someone being "HARMED" or "DESTROYED".

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So basically you're saying without love there is no way we could be saved? I guess I agree with that.
Yes, I'm saying that love is what man's justice or righteousness consists of-it always has. So in order to make the universe right again-or right to begin with in terms of human affairs-God must make us right, by transforming us into His image, the image of He who is love. So we begin to become just as we enter into communion with Him, and we enter into communion with Him via faith, and we receive faith via grace. And we can refuse to begin on this path or quit it at any point along the way because ultimately love is a choice even as we need grace in order to achieve and increase it within ourselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, I'm saying that love is what man's justice or righteousness consists of-it always has. So in order to make the universe right again-or right to begin with in terms of human affairs-God must make us right, by transforming us into His image, the image of He who is love. So we begin to become just as we enter into communion with Him, and we enter into communion with Him via faith, and we receive faith via grace. And we can refuse to begin on this path or quit it at any point along the way because ultimately love is a choice even as we need grace in order to achieve and increase it within ourselves.
I do not believe Agape Love, has anything to do with sex...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I purpose to be true to that Love. But remember scripture tells us that Love does no harm. IOW's if we are destroying someone it is not Love at all. But that being said, Love often times hurts. There is a huge difference between someone being "HURT" and someone being "HARMED" or "DESTROYED".

love doesn't hurt, but hatred does it - i thought you learned this lesson, my old acquaintance

Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
How does Love not hurt when Love includes but is not limited to correction?

the "darkness" is the thing because of which there has been a need for correction, perfection/improvement and growth/development, while love is always perfect in itself

Blessings

Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm guessing that what Paul meant was that love is the foundation of keeping the commandments. Once you love God and you love your neighbor as yourself, you are very likely to want the best for your fellow humans, therefore you will honor your parents, abstain from stealing, murdering, committing adultery etc.

And those who exceedingly love God and their neighbors wont wear polyester/cotton blended shirts, eat shrimp, or work on Saturday.

• Haha
Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
the "darkness" is the thing because of which there has been a need for correction, perfection/improvement and growth/development, while love is always perfect in itself

Blessings
well scripture says that man needs correction and it is because of God's great Love that He corrects us. It further says that if He didn't correct us He wouldn't Love us so I'm sticking with what scripture says and not what you are trying to argue here.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In Romans 13:10 Paul says:

"Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law."

If love is fulfillment of law then why did Jesus tell us to keep the law in John 14:15?

"If you love me, keep my commands."

and again in Matthew 5:17-19:

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Also, if Jesus fulfilled the law why do we need love to fulfill the law and why would Jesus say "keep the law"? If we are no longer under the law like Paul says in Romans 6:14? I'm confused.

If you do a search for the 2015 near death experience of then fifteen year old Israeli Natan.... he came back teaching that even seemingly small commandments..... .such as wearing tzitzit are viewed as important in the higher dimensions of space - time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Looks like a change here....out with the Old, in with the New...AMEN!

Matthew 5:43 "Ye hear that was declared 'Thou shalt be loving thy neighbor, and shall be hating thy enemy' [Leviticus 19:17, 18]
44 I am saying yet unto ye, be loving thine enemies, be blessing them that are cursing thee, be doing good to them that are hating thee, and be praying over those chasing/persecuting thee.

Luke 6:35 Moreover, be loving thine enemies and be doing good, and be lending, nothing expecting, and shall be the wages of ye much,
and ye shall be sons of Most-High, that He gracious upon the ungrateful and wicked.

Romans 12:20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

Proverbs 25:22 For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and Yahweh shall reward thee.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
and how can something entirely good in itself hurt?!

i don't accuse/condemn you...

Blessings
I just told you...scripture is the one that talks about the "hurt" of correction and how that correction is a part of pure undefiled Love. It seems to me that your issue is not with me but with God since it is God's example. Maybe you should take it up with Him instead of trying to attack me.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just told you...scripture is the one that talks about the "hurt" of correction and how that correction is a part of pure undefiled Love. It seems to me that your issue is not with me but with God since it is God's example. Maybe you should take it up with Him instead of trying to attack me.
In John 15 the Lord Jesus speaks of purging the vine so it can bear more fruit.

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

who attacks you?!, i don't even think evil about you in my heart

i understand that you are kind of practical, but if you want all other souls to agree with the truth you speak, you have also to agree with the truth others speak - let's say the true God doesn't want there to be millions of years of a game of improvement, while some people never stop talking about a constant need for hurtful improvement in every person's life; let's say God doesn't want there to be pain/harm for any person/soul - why must there necessarily be pain for every person/soul?! - after all, the true One is not a sadist

Blessings

Upvote 0