Visit site
✟1,718,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Love God and do what you want. Or variations thereof. It’s a quote attributed to Augustine. (We don’t need links to the original. I only want to discuss the phrase.)

True? False?

Let the discussion commence.

GOD Shines Forth!

Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
True? False?

True...

"...assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus, to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness."

—Ephesians 4

Yes, after that I’d say you could "do as you please".

Upvote 0

RichardY

Holotheist. Whig. Monarchical Modalism.
Apr 11, 2019
Spalding
✟16,984.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
True. (Although I was tempted to say false). False to the do what you want part(fear).

EDIT: True. For what I should do, but don't. Working on it god willing.

Matthew 22:36
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Perhaps also Fear God The Father, in which you have your being.

Genesis 4:7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
John 14:15
If ye love Me, keep MY commandments
or
If ye love Me, do what YOU want.
Do those who love God want to keep His commandments?

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Do those who love God want to keep His commandments?
One does not love God unless/until one keeps His commandments.

Matthew 15:8-9 'precepts of men' is men doing as THEY want. One saying he loves God but does not keep His commands is just giving 'lip service' about his love for God,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
One does not love God unless/until one keeps His commandments.

Matthew 15:8-9 'precepts of men' is men doing as THEY want.
So you don’t want to keep His commandments? I’m confused as to your point.

• Friendly
Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
To love Christ means keeping His commands. Man doing as he wants to is not love for Christ.
So you don’t want to keep His commandments?

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Love God and do what you want. Or variations thereof. It’s a quote attributed to Augustine. (We don’t need links to the original. I only want to discuss the phrase.)

True? False?

True! That's the gospel properly understood. That's how God fulfills the New Covenant. Implicit in Augustine's thought is the understanding that this love is the "righteousness of God", a righteousness He's planned man to have from the beginning, which comes by Him placing His Law in our minds and writing it on our hearts. (Jer 31:33)

Agape, God's love, the "love that fulfills the law'. (Rom 13) This is what faith is intended to lead to, this is what man's justice consists of, this is how God justifies IOW. And this is why Paul could say, "...if I have a faith that can move mountains but have not love, I am nothing." And this is why the Greatest Commandments are what they are and why the Church can correctly teach, "At the evening of life we shall be judged on our love", quoting a 16th century believer.

Man has always had the obligation to be righteous and this doesn't change with the New Covenant. Love is how that obligation is finally fulfilled, the right way. This is what God has been steering man towards ever since He created us. Faith is not a license to escape from that obligation; rather it's the means to fulfill it.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

True? False?

Just when I think that I am loving God, I look into the mirror of His law and discover that I am still not. "Oh, miserable wretch that I am. Who shall deliver me from this body of death?"

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

True? False?

True.
In my experience, if someone loves God they will want to be with him, serve him and do as he did. They will not want to sin - though we still live in a fallen world, may be weak or lured into temptation.

People told me for years that God loved me; it was all head knowledge because I didn't believe, or accept, it. Since being brought to a place of understanding, where the Lord enabled me to believe and receive it, things have changed massively.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To love Christ means keeping His commands. Man doing as he wants to is not love for Christ.

You've missed the first part of the quote:
Love God, and do as you want.

How do we love God?
We love because he first loved us, 1 John 4:19.
We respond to God's amazing love and grace by realising that he accepted us completely and gave his life for us while we were godless sinners. Look at the cross, 1 John 3:16; THAT'S how much he loved us, and because he did so, we can love him.
If we receive his Agape love we will be able to love as he loved us, John 13:34.
If we have been born again, are in Christ and have a new nature, 2 Corinthians 5:17, we won't want to please ourselves at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

True? False?

It's not meant to be a theologically precise statement.

As far as theological precision goes, it is not very useful in itself to clear up all confusion. As a matter of fact, it can make things more confusing. But that's kind of the point of the statement, isn't it? It's more of a riddle. It's jarring to hear because we wouldn't normally say "do what you want" in relation to Christian obedience. Isn't obedience about resisting what we want in order to do what God wants? But the more you think about it, the more you see that it is true. If we love God, then we will want to obey him. If we don't want to obey him, it's because we don't love him.

In that way it resembles an eastern koan or wisdom saying which is meant to get you to stop and think.

Upvote 0