Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟18,881.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why Christians and conservatives should accept evolution

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=13&articleID=00068F43-E189-150E-A18983414B7F0000

Most of his points only make sense if you assume moral relativism -- as opposed to morality established by God. Good is good because God says it is, not because it also has a socially beneficial result.

It's written in the "Skeptic" column, if you look properly. The article isn't actually trying to be persuasive, it's being a satire of creationist thought.

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟15,392.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
While I agree with some of what Shermer says in the article, I also agree with laptoppop that it's a pretty lousy article. Every good evolutionist knows that Darwin's biological theory of evolution cannot be used in support of social darwinism.
But like shernren said, it's a satire, meant to rouse unsuspecting creationists.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
thanks for the link.

6. Evolution explains conservative free-market economics. Charles Darwin's "natural selection" is precisely parallel to Adam Smith's "invisible hand." Darwin showed how complex design and ecological balance were unintended consequences of competition among individual organisms. Smith showed how national wealth and social harmony were unintended consequences of competition among individual people. Nature's economy mirrors society's economy. Both are designed from the bottom up, not the top down.

what is interesting is that the idea flow was in the other direction originally. economics and the rise of laize faire was the model that fired up Darwin. not TofE explaining capitalist economics. neat trick.

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know -- it's at least on par with Creationist arguments FOR creationism (at least those that address the same theological and philosophical points).

The point of the article is that evolution fits well with an American Conservative Political view. While it goes a bit off topic on religion, since the Republican Party has fought long and hard to associate itself with evangelical Christianity, I don't find the theological points TOO off-topic.

Upvote 0

oncelost

Aug 25, 2005
✟7,746.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
It's written in the "Skeptic" column, if you look properly. The article isn't actually trying to be persuasive, it's being a satire of creationist thought.

If that's satire, it completely escapes me. Believe me, I like good satire. I'm conservative and think that John Stewart and Steven Colbert are hilarious. The article is written in the skeptic section because the author is skeptical of the convention that conservatives should also be creationists in order to be consistent with their theology. He is espousing his form of TE.

Upvote 0

laptoppop

Servant of the living God
May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟16,420.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If that's satire satire, it completely escapes me. Believe me, I like good satire. I'm conservative and think that John Stewart and Steven Colbert are hilarious. The article is written in the skeptic section because the author is skeptical of the convention that conservatives should also be creationists in order to be consistent with their theology. He is espousing his form of TE.

Interesting - that's exactly how I read it too. OTOH, I'm not a big fan of Sci American.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟18,881.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh no, I think it's brilliant, because it plays directly off the main reasoning often used to support creationism: "Creationism explains this and evolution doesn't!"

For example:

The problem for the evolutionist today is that even though there is an unmanageably vast number of fossils, the transitional forms are still missing. In other words, according to Dr George Gaylord Simpson, one of the all-time champions of evolution, there is a systematic absence of transitional forms between all the higher categories of life, that is, the created kinds of the creationist. This is evidence of the most powerful sort for creation, because it is exactly what the creation model expects and predicts, but it must somehow be explained away by the evolutionist.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v1/i2/creation.asp

(emphasis added)

Shermer plays on that. So the creation model is good at explaining? Well, evolutionism explains how religion and hence creationism would arise, and explains original sin, and explains traditional family values, and explains ... etc.

The underlying message here is that if creationism is preached for its explanatory power, evolution should be accepted because it explains more.

Upvote 0

oncelost

Aug 25, 2005
✟7,746.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Oh no, I think it's brilliant, because it plays directly off the main reasoning often used to support creationism: "Creationism explains this and evolution doesn't!"
. . .

Shermer plays on that. So the creation model is good at explaining? Well, evolutionism explains how religion and hence creationism would arise, and explains original sin, and explains traditional family values, and explains ... etc.

The underlying message here is that if creationism is preached for its explanatory power, evolution should be accepted because it explains more.

I think you're reading too much into it. Something tells me Shermer hasn't thought this stuff through as much as, say, you have (I could be wrong). Someone track down this Shermer and pick his brain. That will resolve it. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you're reading too much into it. Something tells me Shermer hasn't thought this stuff through as much as, say, you have (I could be wrong). Someone track down this Shermer and pick his brain. That will resolve it. :wave:
If you think so, it's only because you haven't followed his previous articles closely enough.

This one isn't heavy on the satire, but most of his articles are. You should read his column expecting strong opinions -- more like Hannity and Colmes (on Fox) than John Stewart. As well as discussing the American evolution and creation issues, he also tackles things like homeopathy and government misuse of science. He tackles common scientific misconceptions from a personal (and opinionated) point of view.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.