Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does anyone here enjoy Louis L'Amour books? For those who don't know who this is and clicked here anyway, LL wrote lots of novels. Many of them are Westerns, but some are more about Colonial times.

My faves are The Sackett's series, following a family from England in the 1600's through Reconstruction America.

Rachel

rjw64

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2006
West of the Mississippi
✟21,070.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think Louis L'Amour was a great writer, and the Sackett series was a great series - I always looked forward to the next installment.

I also liked "The Walking Drum," and think that was one of the best books I've ever read. "The Lonesome G-ds" was good too.

Upvote 0

ozanaki tori

rebel sodville
Feb 9, 2004
Utah
Visit site
✟7,980.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I'm something of a Louis L'Amour fan.
Probably half the fiction I've read has been Louis', but I don't read much fiction.
I'm not so much a fan of his westerns, actually.
I do like the Sackett books, but more the stuff early in that family.

I think my favourite is probably The Walking Drum. I'm continuously saddened that there was never a sequel :(

Upvote 0

stonetoflesh

reformed librarie-keeper
Apr 20, 2004
Round Rock, TX
✟11,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
rjw64 said:
I also liked "The Walking Drum," and think that was one of the best books I've ever read.

:amen:

I must have read that book at least a dozen times in high school-- I LOVE IT!!! It still bums me out that the sequel was never written/published, although we do have this tantalizing "what if" courtesy of the official L'Amour FAQ:

Although Kerbouchard’s quest to find and free his father was complete at the end of the novel Louis ended the story with his hero starting off after the woman with whom he had fallen in love, thus beginning what was to have been the next installment in a three book series. Alas, those sequels were never written. Book Two was to have been called “A Woman Worth Having” and, if it had been written, been set in India. The details of Book Three remain a mystery.

I guess we'll never know... :sigh:

Upvote 0

HiredGoon

Old School Presbyterian
Dec 16, 2003
✟4,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read a lot of L'Amour in my early teens. I read the whole Sackett series and maybe 10-15 of his other novels. My favorite Sackett, and the first one I read was "To the Far Blue Mountains." Of his other westerns, "Comstock Lode" and "Tucker" were my all time favorites. Another great thing about L'Amour paperbacks is the great cover art, and least in the early to mid '90s. I've noticed that a lot of books have new or different cover art now, which are ok, but different than what I'm used to. And as far as western films, one of my favorites is a L'Amour adaptation, "Conagher" starring Sam Elliot of course.

Upvote 0