Lost my Job Today

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
A little stressed, a little worried and completely jaded. Been there done this.

Hospital is losing money, the latest financials showed a several million dollar operating cost. In the midst of this they are building a brand new Oncology center .

Community that the hospital serves is poor, neighborhood is labeled ghetto.

Under the new healthcare hospitals are not getting reimbursed for the uninsured like they should and being penalized for readmissions.

So they have been whacking people left and right to makeup the shortfall.

I arrive for work this morning and after talking a few calls my Director calls and asks me the come to the conference room. I turn and tell my co-worker I am getting whacked. My street smarts kicked in.

I show up at the conference room and my Director and a member if HR are sitting at the table. It felt biblical, They looked uncomfortable. I said just do what have to do. I signed the legal forms that I would not sue or bad mouth them and in return I got my severance pay.

They whacked the off shift , which is me and another person.

The woman that was laid off is 65 years old and has been with the hospital 45 years! I swear! She received an award 2 years ago for not missing a day sick in 20 years.

The work world is a cruel place. Never to be trusted.

Prayers would be good if anyone cares ir has the time.

Thanks.

• Friendly
Reactions: nChrist

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm so sorry! How awful! Praying God opens another door for you ASAP!

Hospital is losing money, the latest financials showed a several million dollar operating cost. In the midst of this they are building a brand new Oncology center .

Under the new healthcare hospitals are not getting reimbursed for the uninsured like they should and being penalized for readmissions.

I arrive for work this morning and after talking a few calls my Director calls and asks me the come to the conference room. I turn and tell my co-worker I am getting whacked. My street smarts kicked in.

I show up at the conference room and my Director and a member if HR are sitting at the table. It felt biblical, They looked uncomfortable. I said just do what have to do. I signed the legal forms that I would not sue or bad mouth them and in return I got my severance pay.

The woman that was laid off is 65 years old and has been with the hospital 45 years! I swear! She received an award 2 years ago for not missing a day sick in 20 years.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Thanks.

I'm sooooo sorry. Praying for you (((hug)))

• Agree
Upvote 0

Lepanto

Jun 16, 2008
Liverpool
✟27,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A little stressed, a little worried and completely jaded. Been there done this......

Thanks.

It's natural to feel worried when one lost his/her job. But don't worry, the Lord will help you if you pray. I lost my job some time ago, but now the Lord has given me another job. I was very worried back then, now looking back, those worries were unnecessary. How many times has I lost job and began worrying? But every time the Lord has helped me. Some years ago, I saw this poster somewhere: "When everything seems to come to an end, it's just the beginning of a new start".

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You and other workers effected by the cuts will be in my prayers. May God provide you other opportunities that are equal or better with more security.

• Agree
Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Thanks guys I appreciate your good thoughts and prayers.

Not a kid anymore, So there will probably be age discrimination. But I have to work, I can't afford to sit on my backside.

I have a lot of worries swirling around in my head.
I live alone so I have no backup. I have to support myself.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please keep us updated. Praying you find something soon and it is better than your previous job. I assume you can get unemployment in the meantime?
Thanks guys I appreciate your good thoughts and prayers.

Not a kid anymore, So there will probably be age discrimination. But I have to work, I can't afford to sit on my backside.

I have a lot of worries swirling around in my head.
I live alone so I have no backup. I have to support myself.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Please keep us updated. Praying you find something soon and it is better than your previous job. I assume you can get unemployment in the meantime?

Yes, need to apply tommorow. Massachusetts has good unemployment benefits. 30 weeks, max is like $744.00 a week depending on income.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok that's good at least. I really hope you find something soon!
Yes, need to apply tommorow. Massachusetts has good unemployment benefits. 30 weeks, max is like $744.00 a week depending on income.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Obamacare fallout again. :mad:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Obamacare fallout again. :mad:

That seems rather shortsighted considering the plan is like 7 years old and is in the way out. Of course, MA had a similar program in place before Obama...but by all means, politicize this unfortunate event.

Eastcoast, I regret that you find yourself in this situation again. Best of luck. PM your resume if you're looking for a gig.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Man, I'm really sorry to hear about that @eastcoast_bsc, losing a job is always such a disorienting experience and I'm sorry that happened to you.

Is relocation a possibility for you? There might be better IT markets outside of Massachusetts if that's an option that's available to you.

I know out here where I live there's this really successful startup that's hiring for an IT Production Engineer. Not sure if that's beneath your skill level at all, but it's interesting to see what's out there beyond your current marketplace.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟144,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Well, living alone, I assume you saved a decent amount, and between that, unemplyement benefits, and severance pay, you should be alright for a good while. Trust in God and you will be just fine. You have my prayers.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟144,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
That seems rather shortsighted considering the plan is like 7 years old and is in the way out. Of course, MA had a similar program in place before Obama...but by all means, politicize this unfortunate event.

Eastcoast, I regret that you find yourself in this situation again. Best of luck. PM your resume if you're looking for a gig.
Ignoring the fact that the full extent of the OC fallout is happening now and the worst is yet to come, and that Republicans have been warning of this for years, and that it was all conveniently planned to happen after Obama left office, and "on the way out" =/= out at the moment, and not yet having a reform or something new in place yet, of course.

Upvote 0