• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Losing our religion

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by George95, Apr 9, 2014.

1. George95

George95 Gone but not forgotten.

+629
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Read more here.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,378
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Yes and no to the article and to the apostates. They aren't completely wrong but have missed something important.

3. GregConstantine

GregConstantine Newbie

+562
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    this is already on another tread

4. GoingByzantine

GoingByzantine Seeking the Narrow Road Supporter

+825
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    It seems to me that in the USA, the OCA is probably growing, same with the Antiochians.

5. SeventhValley

SeventhValley Guest

+0
    Cultural Christians are leaving but the believers are staying.

No big deal.

6. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+1,626
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    All churches are contracting. Just look at how many RC church properties have sold off, even with the immigration from rc strongholds. Within a generation or two when the 90% of the so called Christians no longer feel it neccesary to label themselves as such, then we will know who remains faithful.

7. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+10,047
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    plus, even if those with Greek roots are no longer members of the Church, I do know of a ton who are converting to the Greek Church. I have a buddy who is Greek on his mother's side a few generations ago, but he was raised Lutheran since he is mostly German. he still has Greek heritage though, so he would fall into those stats, even though he never was in the Church to begin with.

8. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 In the Phantom Zone in exile

+4,898
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Maybe if we get to the point that we have an American Orthodox Patriarchate or North American Patriarchate, whatever, then we'll have less ethnic stigma and our unity will be able to overcome this stuff. If we're able to create just an Orthodox Church there isn't that narrow ethnic identity people feel uncomfortable about or divergent from with mixed marriages? I don't know...

9. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+1,626
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    That article is highly problematic. First off the article speaks about americans with greek roots. What does that exactly mean? No one expects the descendants of greeks who started emigrated beginning after 1890 and have assimilated to all be hardcore Goarch attendees. Would such a conclusion faze anyone if it were about russian or ukranian descendants?

Secondly the solution of retaining membership by taking care of orphans and widows is preposterous. The sole reason Christianity was strong is because it was the state religion. When a new regime took over things changed.

I hate to say this but the fact is Christianity is a dying religion in the west. Just look at the demographics.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  10. ArmyMatt

+10,047
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    it'll happen, it's just gonna take some time. it seems to be happening at the local level and working its way up. we will get there eventually, and the jurisdictional silliness we have here will get ironed out.

11. gurneyhalleck1

+4,898
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I'll happen....in the next 350 years, it'll happen....:p:p:p

12. ArmyMatt

+10,047
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    haha, maybe. but a lot of non-ethnic folks are converting to traditionally ethnic parishes, and more and more see themselves merely as Orthodox. the parish that I go to when I visit my folks is Antiochian, and they are a hodge podge of ethnicities and cultures, with a German priest and his Irish khouria. so I don't think it will take that long, we just need to be patient. I don't think God would have planted Orthodoxy on this hemisphere for us to seem divided by culture. Orthodoxy is beyond that.

13. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+1,626
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I'm not to sure what the article is pointing to. There have always been certain nationalities that identify with a specific religion. I work in an area with a large irish community. Obviously there extremely nominal but most still identify as Roman Catholics, and celebrate st Patricks day as more of an ethnic secular holiday.
    Greeks for the most part will always identify as Greek Orthodox. This is why I question the 90 % figure. These figures include everyone that had a great great great grandfather that arrived in Ellis Island as the "apostate" descendants of the 90 percent.

Its irrelevant the subgroup, with the advent of enlightenment ideals, secular humanism, seperation of church from state, the bashing of faith by scientists, has lead to its erosion. Look at brazil, the largest RC country, yet the RC had been in decline for decades . With the biggest winner being buddhism.

14. gurneyhalleck1

+4,898
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Ok, 275 years....:p

I think you're right, Matt. My parish is "Serbian," but it illustrates your point. There aren't enough Serbians in our parish to fill a Hyundai, bro. It has people of all walks of life, bigtime. Lots of converts steadily coming in, and overtime it's going to kick in, this new patriarchate. Rumors fly around right and left, and I hear that Bishop Maxim, my bishop, is heavily involved in the talks toward this new patriarchate, and people are already saying he could be the patriarch...but that's just a TAD premature to predict, right? lol

15. buzuxi02

buzuxi02 Veteran

+1,626
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    There maybe a patriarch in the distant future but many more growing pains must follow. Will this patriarch be in charge of the canadien churches? Would Mexico be included? What if The United States begins splitting apart? Obviously the MP model isn't too successful right now and that's exactly what an American patriarchate would mirror.

Before that, some council, whether it be this supposed great council of 2016 or whatever, will have to deal with how churches become autonomous or autocephalous, what procedure they can follow to split off from their mother churches, etc. A single patriarch for an entire continent may not be the best idea.

16. ArmyMatt

+10,047
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    yep, and that is becoming more the norm, at least from what I have been seeing.