Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I read the Bible in a rigorous manner two times cover to cover last year for the explicit purpose of finding scientific contradictions in it. By that, I mean statements in the Bible that were false that could somehow persuade me into believing just how ridiculous it was to believe in God. My life has always been filled with God, and I have always done my best to do God's will. I even participated in many debates hosted by local organizations in my area regarding same-sex marriage and abortion and I have always been in God's corner, always. Until recently when I started to wonder whether or not He truly existed. Why does my one and only brother may have to undergo a heart transplantation surgery at the age of 17? Why does God allow this to happen? Why isn't He answering at least one of my prayers and helping my brother as he suffers from this horrible medical condition? Why does He allow many bad things to happen to selfless and generous people? Why does He allow other people to starve to death in other parts of the world? What kind of God is this? Real or not, He simply doesn't seem the all-loving and all-knowing mighty being I'd choose to commit my life to, and this is something many atheists say. If He takes away my brother, then I'm giving away my bible and CS Lewis books. No more prayer in my home. I will not consider myself a Christian anymore and my faith in Him will be over. My mom wants to convince herself that God loves us and that He's on our side, but after all the torment we've been through for the past couple of years, is that really an all-loving and just being on our side? To watch us get tormented and anguished on a daily basis? I say bs.

Lastly I'd like to thank everyone once again for at least helping me cling to my faith, I very much appreciate this wonderful community you guys have here, thank you very much.

Dear Mia,

How much clearer things would have been if you had mentioned your brother in the original post. I feel that the real basis of your turning away from God isn't really science but your brother's heart condition. His life might just be saved by science!

While I have never been in a similar situation I can fully understand your rage, and theological discussions not only won't change that but will probably make you angrier.

Yet at the end of the above post you thank everyone for helping you cling to your faith. To me that shows that you have the heart of a true Christian; I probably wouldn't be able to do the same if I was in your shoes. You are a brave, compassionate woman! I truly believe that God made you that way and that you will continue to be that person for the rest of your life. You could be otherwise, but you're not -- and I believe that God is the reason.

In the parable of the prodigal son, the younger son demanded his share of his father's estate, then left his father. The father gave him his inheritance and let him go. As you know, he later returned and the father not only welcomed him but threw a party in his honor.

Based on what I have read you truly have the Spirit of Christ and God won't take that from you -- ever -- no matter where you go or what you do. I (and I'm sure others on this forum) will pray for you during this time of struggle.

God said that he will never leave you nor forsake you, and he means it.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Tanzel,

While I regard you as a brother in the faith I have two main objections to your post...

1) It is completely insensitive to Mia's pain and despair in her present situation.

2) It is full of doctrinal errors.

Mia deserves better than your doctrinal lecture. If you want to discuss these things I suggest you start a new post about them.

Upvote 0

JLR1300

Dec 16, 2012
Oklahoma
✟8,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My sister died a while back from liver cancer. Was that a bad thing? She is in heaven now so you would have to ask her. She probably doesn't want to come back. Who are we to judge what is a good thing and what is a bad thing? The Bible says that "All things work together for good to those who love God." So even death by cancer works out for good to us Christians. I know that the majority of people interpret the Bible to teach that after death non-Christians are consciously tormented forever. If they are correct then there is an argument that could perhaps be made that God isn't a God of love.

However, other theologians such as Edward Fudge believe that the unbeliever suffers extinction (death). Jesus said "fear Him who is able to destroy both SOUL and body in Hell." My point isn't to argue theological points about Hell. My point is that there are interpretations of the Scripture that insulate the Christian faith from many of the objections of people like Mia. If it is true that everything that happens, even bone cancer is for the ultimate good of all Christians and if it is true that the unsaved are annihilated not tortured forever then the main objections of unbelievers fall to the ground.

Upvote 0

Bro.T

Bible Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2008
U.S.
✟149,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Tanzel,

While I regard you as a brother in the faith I have two main objections to your post...

1) It is completely insensitive to Mia's pain and despair in her present situation.

2) It is full of doctrinal errors.

Mia deserves better than your doctrinal lecture. If you want to discuss these things I suggest you start a new post about them.

I spoke the truth, theres not a single word I post that was and error. People in life need to know whats behind close door so there eyes can be open. We are living in a world engaged in willful sin. Jesus said in (Matt. 7:21-23) (v.21) Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father, which is in heaven. You mean you must do more than call on the name of the Lord to enter into the kingdom of heaven? (Which will be set up on this earth)? (v.22) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works? (v.23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Now this is not the harlot, the thief, or the murder, these are religious people; some had the power to cast out devils. And what did they put before the Lord? Their works! It’s obvious that their iniquity overrode their wonderful works. But they put their works on the table before the Lord, that’s what you are going to be judged by, your works!

I'm what they called a Bible christians. I teach the uncut word of God. People
need answers, truth. love from God...which Jesus says in John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. Thats sweet young woman needs to know the Lord (Jesus) for herself, so she can see and learn, what God seeth every day.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
Maryland
✟9,378.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello everyone, I have decided to register to this website only to post this thread and maybe get some few honest opinions. First, my name is Mia and I'm an 18 years old Christian and i'm currently in my 1st year in college (majoring in Geology). For so long I have been defending the word of God against doubters, and I tried my utmost best to convince people that Christianity strives for peace and justice among all people, to protect and restore the integrity of our earth and commit to a path of lifelong learning, compassion and selfless love. But recently, I've been asking myself whether or not God is real. I'm losing all of my faith in Him, in fact I don't think I believe in Him anymore. I think I'm becoming an Atheist. If He is real, then why does he tolerate so many bad things to happen? It doesn't make any sense at all... Why isn't He answering my prayers, why isn't He making my life any easier, why does he allow natural disasters like earthquakes and tsunamis to take place and kill thousands of people...? Why isn't Evolution mentioned in the bible, why isn't the big bang mentioned in the bible... When my antagonists used to tell me that the only reason I believe is because I'm too gullible, they weren't wrong. I used to tell them that God has determined that the only way we are saved is by faith and not by some substantiated empirical scientific data. But that's simply not fair.. You cannot possibly disprove something that isn't real firsthand. I think my question is, how do you know God exist? Thank you very much for reading this.

This short video answers your queston :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R2ciHUGKJ4

Upvote 0

iambren

Mar 2, 2008
newark, ohio
✟12,121.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mia,I'm a pretty straight shooter so this is my 2nd response to you:

You said...."If He takes away my brother, then I'm giving away my bible and CS Lewis books. No more prayer in my home. I will not consider myself a Christian anymore and my faith in Him will be over. "

What that says to me is that you have made an idol of your brother. I believe you that your heart aches for him it's hard to accept that when God doesn't act. But you can't be a true believer by holding a gun to God's head saying "Deal with my brother or I reject you". Couldn't the wives of those husbands fed to the lions say the same thing?

My initial response to you was your attitude. YOU do not have the right nor the power to call the shots,to demand upon God's behavior. If He has saved you may your gratitude be sufficient.

Another topic--When I was in pre-med we dissected a shark and learned all it's "evolutionary" features. I struggled with this for I believed in creation and test-time was a challenge. I finally left it at answering "according to evolutionary theory this anatomy is XXXX" so I spat back what THEY believed,keeping the truth in my heart.

There are a lot of "Job" experiences in living in this fallen world. WE in our sin are culpable but HE (who is above all things) is restoring His eternal kingdom.

Reactions: Saricharity
Upvote 0

dabro

A child of the living God.
Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I was in fear for my family. My mom and dad are saved and my two sisters.......My older brother is gay with HIV/AIDS. My little brother started dating a christian woman and instead of feeling jealous over my brothers relationship I said this is a chance for my brother to see the light......As for my older brother, He drinks heavily smokes pot and is as far left as they can get.......I think he is on his last leg and I'm going to miss him when he is gone. I pray for his soul but it seems like there is a dark cloud cloaking him from God reaching and peeling back the layers of his heart......Me and you Mia have a alike story but, that doesn't mean God will ever allow one of His own to slip away.

I was chastised by God in 05 and learned from what I suffered....I fell away big time....The pain was immense, enough so that I have nightmares almost every night of the torment that lasted for months. I will just say this. God will bring you back, you won't see it coming and it will blind side you. Far more hurtful than losing your brother. Imagine losing your whole family and husband at once. God has to do drastic things in order for us to see that He loves us.

I will pray for you and your family. I have never been one to not forgive in any manner to anyone who sought to change there life......Once your His your always His.

Upvote 0
Feb 20, 2015
✟796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone, I have decided to register to this website only to post this thread and maybe get some few honest opinions. First, my name is Mia and I'm an 18 years old Christian and i'm currently in my 1st year in college (majoring in Geology). For so long I have been defending the word of God against doubters, and I tried my utmost best to convince people that Christianity strives for peace and justice among all people, to protect and restore the integrity of our earth and commit to a path of lifelong learning, compassion and selfless love. But recently, I've been asking myself whether or not God is real. I'm losing all of my faith in Him, in fact I don't think I believe in Him anymore. I think I'm becoming an Atheist. If He is real, then why does he tolerate so many bad things to happen? It doesn't make any sense at all... Why isn't He answering my prayers, why isn't He making my life any easier, why does he allow natural disasters like earthquakes and tsunamis to take place and kill thousands of people...? Why isn't Evolution mentioned in the bible, why isn't the big bang mentioned in the bible... When my antagonists used to tell me that the only reason I believe is because I'm too gullible, they weren't wrong. I used to tell them that God has determined that the only way we are saved is by faith and not by some substantiated empirical scientific data. But that's simply not fair.. You cannot possibly disprove something that isn't real firsthand. I think my question is, how do you know God exist? Thank you very much for reading this.

Practically all the questions most Christians ask are in there, plus you are in a place of study that will more or less stand against everything the bible stands for which won't help your faith.
When they say wasn't the bible just written by man, I say yep but God gave them the words to right, then I usually ask, is science written by man?
bad things happen to non believers and believers, who do you suppose makes bad things happen to non believers.
man was given control of this planet and man has wrecked this planet, we are reaping what we sow.
the bible doesn't mention evolution as science teches as it does not happen, the bible says all creature according to their kind, which is what we see in nature, evolution as it was taught is very different to now as evolution has evolved to stay even slightly credible but all we ever see is change within a species and seemingly to set parameters, we don't see flying humans and let's face it that would be quite an advantage.

Don't let the fact you don't know all the answers when people question you challenge your faith, no one knows all the answers, let them keep their faith in what men say and follow it blindly, as they are doing that, following blindly what men have said as they cannot test most of the time the conclusions of those that have gone before them, so they accept by faith what men have or have said, yet we know science changes all the time, for example we have one less planet than when i was at school because they decided one was gas giant now not a planet, so what was science fact before no longer is, yet they want you to trust this science fact that could change in the next 5 or less years.

Trust the word of God things happen they will and do but trust that God wants good for his creation.

if you get stuck in science especially with evolution ask the teachers where a life began, not human but original life and see what they come up with.

God bless you and keep the faith.

Upvote 0

BrokenWarrior

Just a Messenger
Dec 29, 2014
Where ever my Lord's work is to be done.
✟8,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Hello Sister,

I've read your post and the others' replies, and have put off replying myself feeling that the others cover what is of the essence. But, you are my Sister in Christ, which makes it my bussiness to make sure you have been given my upmost attention to supply you with the most Scripturaly based answer that God will reveal to me, since you are asking.

After reading your other post it has come to my attention that your brothers sickness has potentially only amplified your confusion, no doubt it makes you think:"If God exists, why does MY brother, His faithful servant's brother, ail such?"

Well, you (and others) ask:"Why does God allow these things to happen?";"He's supposedly this 'all powerful' God, why doesn't He do something?";"what about all the sickness?".

Well, such a multi - question deserves multiple answers.

Q1> Why doesn't God do something?
A1> Hasn't He already? The "End Times" are all ready here, God has revealed that all He's waiting for is all His destined people to be saved (or at least the opportunity to accept/deny) I believe this passage addresses the question nicely...:

3 Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, 4 and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation.”

5 For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water and by water, 6 through which the world at that time was destroyed, being flooded with water. 7 But the present heavens and earth by His word are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

8 But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up. -2 Peter 3:3-10

Q2> You ask:Why doesn't He answer my prayers?
A2> I say to you, are you expecting an answer?
The Lord says He will answer, but you need to have Faith that He will, for as Scripture says:

"But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do." -James 1:6-8

Q3> You ask:Why does He tolerate things?
A3> Does He? You've seen Answer 1, He's just waiting for His Elect to use their Free Will to accept or deny Him, then once we are united with Him, He will repay the World for its many evils...:

"Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord."-Romans 12:19

So it's not like the evils in this world get off scott-free...

Q4> Why isn't He making my life any easier?
A4> He never said it would be easy.... Quite the opposite:

"In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials.
These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed."-1 Peter 1:6-7

Q5> What about the "Big Bang" or "Evolution"?
A5> Actually, if you read some Christian Science books I believe you would become quite aware of how much the very existence of the world and the very things Atheists use to "prove" Evolution and The Big Bang actually PROVE Creation. Quick example: Did you know, that for something to fossilize, it has to be buried quickly (because of decay) to leave a fossile (*Cough* Flood *Cough*). That among Dozens upon Dozens of examples point more toward Creation then "Evolution" and/or "Big Bang " and every THEORY that they come up with, can be disproven scientifically, consequently proving Creation more and more...

So don't lose Heart Sister, put your Faith in The Lord and persevere.

If you have any questions whatsoever, feel free, without hesitation, to pm me. And I will give you the most Scripturaly based answer, through God's power, that I can...

God Bless!
-The Current Lowest Servant

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I read the Bible in a rigorous manner two times cover to cover last year for the explicit purpose of finding scientific contradictions in it. By that, I mean statements in the Bible that were false that could somehow persuade me into believing just how ridiculous it was to believe in God. My life has always been filled with God, and I have always done my best to do God's will. I even participated in many debates hosted by local organizations in my area regarding same-sex marriage and abortion and I have always been in God's corner, always. Until recently when I started to wonder whether or not He truly existed. Why does my one and only brother may have to undergo a heart transplantation surgery at the age of 17? Why does God allow this to happen? Why isn't He answering at least one of my prayers and helping my brother as he suffers from this horrible medical condition? Why does He allow many bad things to happen to selfless and generous people? Why does He allow other people to starve to death in other parts of the world? What kind of God is this? Real or not, He simply doesn't seem the all-loving and all-knowing mighty being I'd choose to commit my life to, and this is something many atheists say. If He takes away my brother, then I'm giving away my bible and CS Lewis books. No more prayer in my home. I will not consider myself a Christian anymore and my faith in Him will be over. My mom wants to convince herself that God loves us and that He's on our side, but after all the torment we've been through for the past couple of years, is that really an all-loving and just being on our side? To watch us get tormented and anguished on a daily basis? I say bs.

Lastly I'd like to thank everyone once again for at least helping me cling to my faith, I very much appreciate this wonderful community you guys have here, thank you very much.

My pastor said when he wasn't saved yet: I see all these miracles in the Bible. I want to see them or I throw away the Bible!
He did everything already, He gave us all the power we need to do the same works as Jesus did. You shouldn't ask Him if He wants to do that if it is His will. Demand healing, rebuke that devil in His Name. It is His will.
Brother of Mia be healed in Jesus Name!
Let him listen to T.B. Joshua on youtube or go to a healing service or do a prayer request at the site of Sid Roth or Reinhard Bonnke.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Look, I don't want to get into a debate, and so I'm gonna say two things then hold my tongue again...1. I have been reading these responses and I can honestly say that most of the time, my heart breaks over how poor of comforts some here are. In fact, it reminds me of Job's friends. 2. If God promises it, you don't have to demand anything, in fact demanding what is already yours through promise is the opposite of Loving God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength. So demanding God to fulfill a promise is to deny that God is truthful and honors His promises. Thus the question must be asked, is this a promise or do I just want to make it one?

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thus the question must be asked, is this a promise or do I just want to make it one?
By His stripes you are healed.

And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.

If God promises it, you don't have to demand anything
No I don't mean: 'Lord I demand that You heal him', but 'I demand that sickness to go in Jesus' Name!'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
By your admission you are losing your faith. Where does faith come from? Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God, Rom 10:17. I would propose that you daily read as you listen to an audible bible read aloud. Give the experiment plenty of time and make it an unbiased experiment. It would not have to involve much each day. Recall that God and His Word are one. You end up encountering God daily, doing what the Word says to do for building the faith essential to pleasing God, Heb 11:6. There is no way a sincere effort will not be rewarded as you desire, i.e., "to know God exists."

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
By His stripes you are healed.

And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.
already told you I would not get into a debate...this thread should be an encouragement, not a doctrinal debate or theological discussion.
No I don't mean: 'Lord I demand that You heal him', but 'I demand that sickness to go in Jesus' Name!'
same difference. If God is a God who cannot lie, (Titus 1:2) If God will do all that He has promised to do, (Jeremiah 32:42) If we seek God and His Kingdom first, above all else, (Matthew 6:33) then faith dictates to us that we seek God and His Kingdom above healing and any promise of healing God has made will be ours in that it is covered in both the promises and in the "all these things will be added". couple that with Matthew 6:8 and the advice you should be giving here is

that God is true to His word, if He says it, it will be...trust Him with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding...seek Him and His Kingdom above all else...and in that, rest in Him from your worries, because God is a God of peace. (John 14:27)

Everything else you have said is about doctrine and is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everything else you have said is about doctrine and is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
It's not irrelevant, her brother needs to get healed and if they get false doctrine in church no wonder she's gonna blame God, as do a lot of people who became atheists because they were taught that God can do what He want and if He doesn't He has His special reason for that you're not to question. Why I tackle that doctrine is because I almost fell off my faith when God didn't answer me immediately, but realizing it was not that He didn't want to but the ball was with me helped me get my faith back.

Upvote 0

dabro

A child of the living God.
Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I think I was insensitive. Pls forgive me.....God won't let you go is all I'm saying. He promises in His Word to keep you forever.......Just please reconsider debating with people that will overshadow your faith with false teachings. Please be careful about that and I will pray for your family.

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0

JLR1300

Dec 16, 2012
Oklahoma
✟8,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the hardest things we as Christians have to learn over and over again is that we cannot love other things more than Christ. Jesus said that unless we do not hate our Father and mother and sister and brother we cannot be His disciple. That means that our love for Christ has to be so much more than our love for our relatives that it looks like hate in comparison. So when Mia says that if God lets her brother die she is going to throw the Bible out... it is just revealing that she has made an idol of her brother. All of us Christians sometimes idolize someone or something. But we are sinning when we do that.

As human beings we cannot threaten Jesus with abandoning Him if He doesn't do what we demand. Jesus had to die on a cross for our sinfulness so we have no right to make demands and threats. In the parable of the sower when the seed was cast on rocky soil Jesus said that it sprang up quickly but then withered away because it was bad soil. If unbelievers outwardly believe parts of the gospel but are not really inwardly trusting Jesus for salvation it sometimes looks like they have been converted when really they haven't. But later Jesus says they experience tribulations and persecution and such and become offended and fall away. So I would say to Mia that she may not have ever been saved in the first place.

What she needs to do is to see why she places her brother above Christ and why she is acting like rocky soil. I am not saying that she is unsaved for certain but merely that she is beginning to show signs that bring that issue into question. Not just her but anytime any of us start to say that we will abandon Christ if He doesn't do what we want and we will become offended because of trials and walk away from Jesus then we need to examine our faith to see if it is really real.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's not irrelevant, her brother needs to get healed and if they get false doctrine in church no wonder she's gonna blame God,
first, what I am saying is that the discussion of doctrine on the issue is irrelevant, not whether or not healing is a promise is irrelevant. Come on, I was pretty careful to make that clear in my previous two posts. Secondly, what happens if her brother is not healed when you or the church or anyone else tells her that it is the promise of God....rather than telling her to trust God to be true to His promises? Isn't that opening her up to blame and hate of God? Like I said, some here have been very poor comforts. Encouragement isn't about demanding anything of God or of the things that plague us, rather it is seeking God and His Kingdom above the struggles I am currently facing. In the case of healing, it is to accept God's promises as absolutes when I seek God and His Kingdom first. It's about faith/trust for the God who knows me more intimately than I know myself and wants only what is best for me. When we discover that, no matter the situation, there is no need to fear, blame, hate, etc. It is in faith that we find both peace and comfort for the trials that are at hand.

IOW's what I am saying is that a doctrinal debate right now is fruitless and more harmful than good. Comforting words in the midst of struggle encourage us to cling to God with faith/trusting that He is the God of the bible, a God who loves passionately, gives graciously, comforts us, gives us peace and will never forsake us, no matter what. It is to remind her that God does NOT lie, that He is always there with us, that He will never leave us, that He will do as He promises, no matter what.
as do a lot of people who became atheists because they were taught that God can do what He want and if He doesn't He has His special reason for that you're not to question. Why I tackle that doctrine is because I almost fell off my faith when God didn't answer me immediately, but realizing it was not that He didn't want to but the ball was with me helped me get my faith back.
That is a discussion for another time. Like I said, true encouragement in this situation does not require a doctrinal debate that is one of the hotly debated topics of our modern church.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One of the hardest things we as Christians have to learn over and over again is that we cannot love other things more than Christ. Jesus said that unless we do not hate our Father and mother and sister and brother we cannot be His disciple. That means that our love for Christ has to be so much more than our love for our relatives that it looks like hate in comparison. So when Mia says that if God lets her brother die she is going to throw the Bible out... it is just revealing that she has made an idol of her brother. All of us Christians sometimes idolize someone or something. But we are sinning when we do that.
or it could mean that in this moment in time, her relationship with her brother is foremost in her mind. Just saying...when our son died, it was really hard to put our minds on others, we were in too deep of grief and distress. It didn't mean that our son was an idol, but that our flesh knows grief, just as scripture tells us that we are to grieve just not as the world does....likewise, we grieve, but in that grief we seek God's comfort and hope.
As human beings we cannot threaten Jesus with abandoning Him if He doesn't do what we demand. Jesus had to die on a cross for our sinfulness so we have no right to make demands and threats. In the parable of the sower when the seed was cast on rocky soil Jesus said that it sprang up quickly but then withered away because it was bad soil. If unbelievers outwardly believe parts of the gospel but are not really inwardly trusting Jesus for salvation it sometimes looks like they have been converted when really they haven't. But later Jesus says they experience tribulations and persecution and such and become offended and fall away. So I would say to Mia that she may not have ever been saved in the first place.
unless of course we are pouring out our hearts to the Living God as He wants us to do...nothing hidden, just an all out pouring ourselves before a holy God.
What she needs to do is to see why she places her brother above Christ and why she is acting like rocky soil. I am not saying that she is unsaved for certain but merely that she is beginning to show signs that bring that issue into question. Not just her but anytime any of us start to say that we will abandon Christ if He doesn't do what we want and we will become offended because of trials and walk away from Jesus then we need to examine our faith to see if it is really real.
I can remember time and time again, when I told God that I wanted to quite...48 ish years later, I have been faithful every single day. No, by faithful I do not mean without sin, I mean that even in those times of painful pouring out of my heart to God, He comforted me and said, "I know my child, rest with me awhile." It was emotion, and right now, based on these posts alone, emotion is all we are seeing, God alone sees the heart and it is best to leave that to Him and Him alone.

Upvote 0