Na
✟11,858.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Me and my boyfriend or ex-boyfriend, has been taking a break for already 2 months. In fact, we all know that I want him more than he wants me. During this time we’re supposed to reflect on ourselves, not contact each other and not go on social media. However I found out he went on social media through my friend and he brought this condition. Throughout the past months I’ve been praying and praying for restoration and reconciliation. I’ve been praying for change in him and discernment. I know it’s wrong to have doubts towards God, but I feel like it’s not worth it anymore to pray. If we were supposed to be back together I feel like my boyfriend should’ve done something by now or at least some kind of indication or awareness for me. All I can feel and heard from others is that he’s just living a normal life and better with his friends. You might say that maybe that’s Gods will and it doesn’t in line with mines or God is telling you to be patience. I really wanna know answer because I don’t know how to pray anymore. What if I asked for reconciliation and the next minute after our break we are.. to be separated. This will really crush my faith. One moment I have hope and the other moment I don’t and I feel like it’s not worthy.

what can I do

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seems as if he's gone for now?
Probably to never return?

Or possibly decide to want you back later
once you yourself have moved on?

Waiting too long for someone to return to us,
I think to be damaging.

Best to pick up the pieces (broken heart)
and move on.

These issues if the heart hurt
they really hurt.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Me and my boyfriend or ex-boyfriend, has been taking a break for already 2 months. In fact, we all know that I want him more than he wants me. During this time we’re supposed to reflect on ourselves, not contact each other and not go on social media. However I found out he went on social media through my friend and he brought this condition. Throughout the past months I’ve been praying and praying for restoration and reconciliation. I’ve been praying for change in him and discernment. I know it’s wrong to have doubts towards God, but I feel like it’s not worth it anymore to pray. If we were supposed to be back together I feel like my boyfriend should’ve done something by now or at least some kind of indication or awareness for me. All I can feel and heard from others is that he’s just living a normal life and better with his friends. You might say that maybe that’s Gods will and it doesn’t in line with mines or God is telling you to be patience. I really wanna know answer because I don’t know how to pray anymore. What if I asked for reconciliation and the next minute after our break we are.. to be separated. This will really crush my faith. One moment I have hope and the other moment I don’t and I feel like it’s not worthy.

what can I do
God opens doors and closes doors. And you can always look back and see how things worked out for the best. Even your worst failures. Have faith and see God's hand in everything.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You can pray to God. But you cannot force God's hand.

If you and the boyfriend are not reconciled, it doesn't mean that God has not listened to your prayers. It also doesn't mean that he is indifferent to your plea. For all you know, God has someone better in mind for you.

More to the point perhaps, what you've told us makes it look like the bf has no inclination whatsoever to return to you, and you will have to accept that and try to overcome the all-too-human tendency to live in the world of "what might be if only...." Or, to take the opposite view, it might be that the bf has to be without you for long enough to regret it. We don't know, but in any case you have to avoid thinking that God has let you down merely because one specific scenario that you thought ideal doesn't seem to be developing..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Billy UK

Dec 21, 2019
Somewhere
✟34,594.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This will really crush my faith

In these last two years, I have been through events that almost crushed my faith by allowing other things which included a relationship to become more important to me than Jesus. The devil worked through these things and used them to try to turn me against this God.

Satan did it with Samson and Soloman and others in the Bible. He caused them to rebel and turn against God through the desire which they felt which became more important than God. Samson loved a woman who did not love him in the same way and that love allowed him to open up in trust to her. Trust causes us to open ourselves up and sadly in Samson's case he trusted the wrong person with his wellbeing as the devil was ensuring Samson through Delilah all the long. He trusted in the desire which he felt and believed that this woman felt the same but instead this woman was out to do him harm but deceived him into believing in her love for him.

Judges 16:4 (KJV)

4 And it came to pass afterward, that he loved a woman in the valley of Sorek, whose name was Delilah.

( He trusted her with his strength )

17 That he told her all his heart, and said unto her, There hath not come a razor upon mine head; for I have been a Nazarite unto God from my mother's womb: if I be shaven, then my strength will go from me, and I shall become weak, and be like any other man.

18 And when Delilah saw that he had told her all his heart, she sent and called for the lords of the Philistines, saying, Come up this once, for he hath shewed me all his heart. Then the lords of the Philistines came up unto her, and brought money in their hand.

19 And she made him sleep upon her knees; and she called for a man, and she caused him to shave off the seven locks of his head; and she began to afflict him, and his strength went from him.​

The only man you can fully trust with your wellbeing is the one on the right hand of the Father in Heaven and that's your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I know this all may be very difficult and painful but now is the time to get back fully to Jesus your first love by focusing on him. This could involve a painful fight but if you look at the psychology of the devil you see that Satan will try to use people to turn you against God. Satan said this to God regarding Job saying that if Job lost everything he would turn against God and not love him. After losing almost everything including his health he showed that God was his first love and overcame the devil who was behind and his problems.

Upvote 0

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟450,710.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello @Kolleen

Taking a break to reflect on yourself is a very good idea. In fact, I would do the same and recommend others do as well. I would suggest that you leave the decision to God, be free and just wait and watch how things will unfold. This breaking period is a good opportunity to reflect on yourself and focus more on God.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't ask God for reconciliation, instead I will trust that God knows my heart and I will wait to see what God wants to do about it. That's when I know I'm letting God to take control of the situation and my life so that God can work in me.

If we completely submit to God's will, then we will know the answer because then God will either gradually decrease the feelings I have for that person if we won't be reconciling or He will allow me continue to have those feelings for that person if we will reconcile.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Melody Suttles

SingPeace
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2018
Atlanta
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

what can I do

There are so many factors and unknowns for both of you to deal with over the coming weeks, months and years and this may be playing into your boyfriend’s decision (or indecision).

In times like these, I encourage you not to discount God's plans even if they differ from where you want to see your future go at this moment in time. This may indeed be God protecting you for someone better suited and who will help you to become the person He has created you to be.

I would encourage you to use this unwelcome time alone to discover what God wants you to do. You may even find God presenting you with a few unexpected decisions to make regarding your life.

It may seem “easier” in a lot of ways to work within the parameters and confines of a relationship. However, allowing God to choose the best for us is not the "easier" way, as I'm sure you well know. Perhaps God wants to open some unexpected doors and lead you toward some amazing opportunities you may have never considered.

People can appear to be mature - you can love them dearly, and I'm not saying your ex isn't mature, but when his back is against the wall, how he reacts is the real deal. People who are mature in the Lord, take the extra time to really listen to God and to seek wisdom from a pastor or a same-sex friend who is strong in her faith and understanding.

Loving Father and Lord, I pray and ask that You would calm both their fears. Lord, God, please reveal the truth to him and especially to my dear sister. I ask that in your Mercy, please remove any blinders both may be experiencing and to put godly, wise friends in both their lives. I pray for each of these two precious people to be obedient and to trust that You above all know what’s best. Help them both to be strong and to trust You even when things make little sense. Help them Lord, that their emotions aren’t confusing their wisdom. In Jesus' name, amen.

“This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.” -1 John 5:14-15

• Agree
Reactions: Kolleen
Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

what can I do

Life is long and there will be many challenges to your faith. Trust that God has your life in His hands. Offer Him this simple but sincere prayer about this situation then be done with it trusting that He will answer your prayer.

Lord Jesus, Your Will be done in this stituiaton, I am trusting you to bring that about in my life. Thank you for doing so.
In Jesus' name, I pray.
Amen

Life and faith are a lot simpler than people make it out to be.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
. You might say that maybe that’s Gods will and it doesn’t in line with mines or God is telling you to be patience. I really wanna know answer because I don’t know how to pray anymore.
Since you are in confusion about the situation, I would suggest you pray for God's peace. Php 4 tells us to rejoice in the Lord, even while we ask for our needs and wants, so that the peace which passes understanding will guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

You don't want to wander far from that peace. From there you will gain the clarity to see your way forward and know what to do. According to James 3, confusion is of the devil, whereas God's wisdom is pure, peaceable, and reasonable. Meditate on that, and on the fruit of the Spirit at Gal 5, and make that your goal.

God is good. If this relationship is good for you, He wants to give it to you. But it is foundational that we abide in Him as He works out the details of our lives, and it becomes critical when such confusion and emotional tumult is in play.

So basically, as you seek God's will, place Him first and remain in an attitude of faith. Also see Mark 11 on faith. Sometimes we have to let go of things in the natural before He can do His deeper work.

Reactions: Kolleen
Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

what can I do
Hi Kolleen, my sympathies. It is sad.

So I'm going to start with a question: What is it you want from a mate? Please think about that question and do so with substance because if you once believed your exbf was that guy you have now learned that is not the case and the question has become "Can he - or will he - become that guy or not?" and I think you also have the answer to that question, as well. It could might possibly maybe be that guy but he is not now interested in doing so.

And you, Kolleen, are worth the best.

Please don't ever forget that (just don't be prideful about it ;)).

I've been married 24 years this coming June and have discovered how extraordinary is my wife. I thought women were cool simply because they are nice and warm and round and soft and I like it when my wife rubs up against me in affection but underneath all that warm fuzzy stuf there is an extraordinary person with whom I am fascinated. It takes a lot of work for us to have a healthy relationship, especially since we're imperfect. Did you get that? She's an extraordinary person... but imperfect.

I'd hold my wife up against any other women in this forum, in this country, on this planet. She has amazing character. You too might be extraordinary but I don;t know you. The reason I can stand her up before all others is because I have spent 25 years with her getting to know her.

And getting over myself.

And when you find that man; you'll know it because he will move heaven and earth to persuade you to let him have your hand and heart and body and soul in marriage and he won't give up or get lazy.

And that's not the guy described in this op.

So show him my post and hear what he says.

I have a daughter to whom I hold out this same standard. She is, at the same time, an extraordinary and beautiful woman whose neck I'd like to ring o_O. She is a daughter of The Most High God who is to be loved as Christ loved the Church, washed with the word and presented holy and blameless even though she is flawed by sin. She can marry whoever she chooses but I have high standards for her because God's standards are high.

Which brings me to my next question: Where's your dad and his pov?

Lastly, do not conflate your relationship with Jesus with you relationship with exbf. If you are tied to the xbf so much that losing him would cause the loss of faith mentioned in this op then the xbf was never the correct one for you and it is likely the relationship was always an idol unawares. Jesus first; boyfriends and husband second. Always. And if you think Jesus has been silent then maybe that's because he's not being heard, not because he's not speaking. The "signs" of failure and loss are present but.....

It is hard to see the picture from within the frame.

Your xbf does not keep his word. He is willing to separate from you. He does not know his immediate answer about whether or not to continue to work on the relationship with you.

Yes, the loss will hurt but God promises never to cause more hurt than you can withstand and He promises to work all things for good according to His purpose. This places you in the awkward position of having to trust God at a moment when you are hurting and faith is weak.

If I were your dad I'd give you a big long firm hug and then tell you to put on your big girl panties and be the woman God is making you to be. I'd remind you that just as a cut will heal if treated properly, so too the soul will heal if given the proper first aid. God made body and soul to heal. Every booboo you've ever had that scabbed up and healed is a testimony to God's existence and his love for you.

If you bring that guy over here to America I'll try to knock some sense into him ;). Otherwise, walk away, take some time to heal, and then get back in the fight or on the journey or whatever you'd like to call it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kolleen

Feb 4, 2020
Na
✟11,858.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello @Kolleen

Taking a break to reflect on yourself is a very good idea. In fact, I would do the same and recommend others do as well. I would suggest that you leave the decision to God, be free and just wait and watch how things will unfold. This breaking period is a good opportunity to reflect on yourself and focus more on God.

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't ask God for reconciliation, instead I will trust that God knows my heart and I will wait to see what God wants to do about it. That's when I know I'm letting God to take control of the situation and my life so that God can work in me.

If we completely submit to God's will, then we will know the answer because then God will either gradually decrease the feelings I have for that person if we won't be reconciling or He will allow me continue to have those feelings for that person if we will reconcile.

Thank you Gospels, you're right. It's been 2 months and I'm having 50/50 feelings towards this man. Overall, I still see hope but then again there's time where I feel like it will not work out. What Im worried at the moment is what if he do get back together but our issue is still remains or what if we don't get back together all our plans for future will be crushed. I'm also very really scared because of this whole coronavirus causing delay to this break. I wish I can talk to you, for more advice.

Upvote 0

Kolleen

Feb 4, 2020
Na
✟11,858.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are so many factors and unknowns for both of you to deal with over the coming weeks, months and years and this may be playing into your boyfriend’s decision (or indecision).

In times like these, I encourage you not to discount God's plans even if they differ from where you want to see your future go at this moment in time. This may indeed be God protecting you for someone better suited and who will help you to become the person He has created you to be.

I would encourage you to use this unwelcome time alone to discover what God wants you to do. You may even find God presenting you with a few unexpected decisions to make regarding your life.

It may seem “easier” in a lot of ways to work within the parameters and confines of a relationship. However, allowing God to choose the best for us is not the "easier" way, as I'm sure you well know. Perhaps God wants to open some unexpected doors and lead you toward some amazing opportunities you may have never considered.

People can appear to be mature - you can love them dearly, and I'm not saying your ex isn't mature, but when his back is against the wall, how he reacts is the real deal. People who are mature in the Lord, take the extra time to really listen to God and to seek wisdom from a pastor or a same-sex friend who is strong in her faith and understanding.

Loving Father and Lord, I pray and ask that You would calm both their fears. Lord, God, please reveal the truth to him and especially to my dear sister. I ask that in your Mercy, please remove any blinders both may be experiencing and to put godly, wise friends in both their lives. I pray for each of these two precious people to be obedient and to trust that You above all know what’s best. Help them both to be strong and to trust You even when things make little sense. Help them Lord, that their emotions aren’t confusing their wisdom. In Jesus' name, amen.

“This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.” -1 John 5:14-15

Thanks for the prayer Melody Suttles. Since you're spiritually more mature, I was just wondering if there's anything I can do meanwhile or somehow not rush God but prepare myself. I know I'm wrong but I always do stupid things like asking God to show me through my dreams or if something happens e.g. if it rains then that the answer. The issue is I want to prepare both outcomes whether it is being back together or to be separate. I don't want to hold one outcome and then suddenly the outcome turns out to be the opposite. Also having two outcomes is hard because it cause a lot of doubts and misunderstanding. I keep having dreams that we will be back together but then at night I will have negative throughs. Even tho he has hurt me so much in the past and I have hurt him. I tend to forgive him and still hold on because I see that hope whenever I do devotionals or watch sermons. However, for my ex I didn't had this feeling. Instead I was angry at myself or him and tried to move on.

Upvote 0

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟450,710.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you Gospels, you're right. It's been 2 months and I'm having 50/50 feelings towards this man. Overall, I still see hope but then again there's time where I feel like it will not work out. What Im worried at the moment is what if he do get back together but our issue is still remains or what if we don't get back together all our plans for future will be crushed. I'm also very really scared because of this whole coronavirus causing delay to this break. I wish I can talk to you, for more advice.

Hello Kolleen, In your present situation, you need to live as though you are single, and just not think or worry anything about it. I had been through similar situation before. I begged God for restoration and reconciliation with that person but I was terribly crushed. Now, looking back, I’m very thankful that I was broken. It was as though gold was put through fire in order to purify and make it shine brighter. Bible tells us that the God will put us through fire to cleanse us. To be crushed is a blessing for God’s children. I’m tested and trained. I’m healed, renewed and more stronger and matured than ever before. No matter whatever happens, we should be thankful to God and desire His will above ours. So maybe start thanking God that your xbf didn’t reach out to you yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grace4ever

Apr 29, 2018
Florida
✟12,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello Kolleen,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns with us. I’m sorry for what you are going through. These forums are great for sharing burdens, venting, and asking for advice. Even in the darkest moments in our lives, there’s always hope. It is understandable for the way what you feel. Let me tell you my friend that you’re not alone, these things happen in relationships. Sometimes things happen for a reason. It is understandable that it hurts, but love must be mutual. I’m so sorry that your BF didn’t want to continue the relationship. But that does not mean the end. Sometimes we have to pass for some bad experiences before we meet the right one. That is part of the process. It is natural to want love and being loved. That one special person will come to you when you do not expect. Let this time of yourself being single allow you to know more of your strengths and work on your weaknesses also. However, in spite of your situation, let me tell you that you are valuable, important and a person worth of dignity and worthy of fighting for. God never abandon us. He will always be with you even if you do not feel him or it seems that he still does not answer your prayers. God is a very Tender and Loving Father. He knows what is the best for us. We need to discern that, because sometimes we want things that are not good or convenient for us. It is understandable that at times we get discouraged in prayer because things we ask for don’t always turn out in our favor. But that should not lessen or discourage you in prayer. I’m sure that God has a better plan for you. He promises that in Jeremiah 29, 11 “For I know well the plans I have in mind for you—oracle of the LORD—plans for your welfare and not for woe, so as to give you a future of hope” God wants you to persevere in prayer. Jesus himself had to accept the reality that he would be rejected and scorned, so it is part of life as believers that we will have be rejected by someone, including relationships. Have you ever thought of praying for that special person that God thought for you since eternity? As I mentioned before that one special person will come to you when you do not expect. I encourage you to cultivate friendship. It is important to learn how to be a good friend first and then God will say. To meet your soulmate is like being in adventure. Let me tell you my friend that you are unique, special and precious in front God’s eyes. Perhaps have you thought of seeking counseling or therapy? Counseling or therapy works through things like this. You are valuable and worthy of fighting for. Therapy can help you to cope with this situation. It seems that you have all the answers to this. May be best to reconsider your decision to leave him and move on. Let this time of being single be precious for you, to draw yourself closer to God. If God wants that you be called to marriage, then in His time you will meet your soulmate. I encourage you to be patient and ask God to grow in trust. I’m sure that person is looking for you too. But don’t give up on prayer. Hope this helps. Sending you hugs. I will keep you in my prayers my sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Some partings are permanent and others are for a season. I've been on both sides of that statement. Reconciliations have their challenges. But they fare better when both have grown and forgiven one another.

I rekindled a connection recently. It was an outgrowth of a wellness check due to the present climate. While I was glad to hear from him. He was the first to acknowledge his delight in my presence and enjoyment of our discourse. It would be the first of many admissions which reinforced observations of compatibility and point towards the future.

I haven't broached the question of God's will. But I've noticed the feedback from friends and loved ones and the impact he's had on my mind and spirit. I'm softer. He exudes a quiet calm that's grounding and assuring. I'm comfortable and at peace.

Sometimes the answer isn't mystical. We have practical experiences to draw from. Godly unions won't be free of hurts or challenges. There's no formula. No two have the same struggles. I return to the obvious when discerning His presence in my connections.

Does the person draw me closer to God for good reasons? Not due to strife or hardships. Am I stirred to pray (on his behalf) or minister to his needs? Is he offering the same in return?

When someone values your company they show it. If he isn't willing to invest in the relationship, let him go. You need two interested parties to move forward. You can't carry the load alone.

I'll close with three questions you may want to consider:

Is he good for me?
Is he good to me?
Am I better with or without him?

~Bella

Upvote 0