Seattle
✟118,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
"Special counsel Jack Smith has obtained a 2021 recording in which Donald Trump appears to brag about having a classified document related to Iran, suggesting the former president understood both the legal and security concerns around his possession of such restricted information, multiple people familiar with the matter said Wednesday.
The recording was made at a meeting at Trump’s golf course in Bedminster, N.J., said the people, who like others interviewed for this article spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing criminal investigation. The audio features Trump describing a multi-page document that he claims is about possibly attacking Iran, expressing a desire to share that information with others but also making some kind of acknowledgment that he shouldn’t do so, the people said."
WAPO
Welp, there goes the defense of, "I Vulcan mind melded" the documents as unclassified as I walked out the door.
Moreover, it's clear indication of Trump's state of mind given retention and refusing to relinquish classified documents.

Last edited:

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,748.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
"Special counsel Jack Smith has obtained a 2021 recording in which Donald Trump appears to brag about having a classified document related to Iran, suggesting the former president understood both the legal and security concerns around his possession of such restricted information, multiple people familiar with the matter said Wednesday.
The recording was made at a meeting at Trump’s golf course in Bedminster, N.J., said the people, who like others interviewed for this article spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing criminal investigation. The audio features Trump describing a multi-page document that he claims is about possibly attacking Iran, expressing a desire to share that information with others but also making some kind of acknowledgment that he shouldn’t do so, the people said."
WAPO
Welp, there goes the defense of, "I Vulcan mind melded" the documents as unclassified as I walked out the door.
Moreover, it clear indication of Trump's state of mind given retention and refusing to relinquish classified documents.

It's interesting that for some folks, it was clear before evidence came and for some, even audio tapes would not be sufficient evidence.

Upvote 0

Say it aint so

Jun 19, 2020
Seattle
✟118,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
It's interesting that for some folks, it was clear before evidence came and for some, even audio tapes would not be sufficient evidence.
Kind of reminds me of John Gotti where people would line the streets and cheer his arrival during his criminal proceedings.
That mindset couldn't stop that case replete with tapes the Justice Department had on him, and it won't stop the case replete with tapes the Justice Department has on Trump.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
sure ok.. but hello to the pattern. The pattern never sees good just bad. More will be said and what no the close we get to 2024. Oddly allot of the others running for President.. their past will never be talked about by some.. that is odd huh.. anyway thanks for sharing.. not going to stop anything but praise GOD for Christ that gave His life for you ..no other loves you like Him.. today is the day of salvation

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The documents case keeps getting better and better, but none of this is being reported on the fringes of the Conservisphere. Donald's ardent believers will reject it anyway, but a number of folks in denial will finally wake up when indictments are handed down.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The documents case keeps getting better and better, but none of this is being reported on the fringes of the Conservisphere. Donald's ardent believers will reject it anyway, but a number of folks in denial will finally wake up when indictments are handed down.
This “number” isn’t a lot.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There seems to be some doubt regarding exactly who is in denial, there are always two sides to every argument. Did Trump declassify documents? Criminal indictment of former president has no legitimate basis

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟141,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟242,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
There seems to be some doubt regarding exactly who is in denial, there are always two sides to every argument. Did Trump declassify documents? Criminal indictment of former president has no legitimate basis
The audio recording from July 2021 reportedly reveals Trump saying he could not show it to others at a meeting in Bedminster, New Jersey, because they did not have clearance to view the classified document and Trump no longer had the authority to declassify it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Say it aint so

Jun 19, 2020
Seattle
✟118,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
The problem here is the only time Trump claims declassification is on TV.
The only time his lawyers claim declassification is on TV.
When pressed in courts on declassification, his lawyers back away from that claim like crabs away from a pot of boiling water.
Apparently they don't want to be on that growing list of sanctioned Trump lawyers.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

...and when the inevitable charges are filed, they'll write off the charges a politically motivated or some other victimization baloney.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you quote from the article some as it is paywalled for me. Thanks.
It's an op ed by Alan Dershowitz and John P. Coale arguing that the prosecutors can't prove that Donald did not declassify all the documents - as though were the crux of the matter.

Alan Dershowitz and John P. Coale said:
Theoretically, there could be evidence that Mr. Trump told an associate that he was taking classified material with him, knowing it was still classified. It is extremely unlikely, however, that any such evidence exists.

Unfortunately for this argument, there is tape of his admitting a document was classified - why he couldn't show the visitor the page - well after he had left office, past the point of his ability to declassify anything. ^_^

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,451.00
Faith
Pentecostal
He had the ability to declassify anything. The issue here is the fact that it sounds like he knew that this document was not one and that he had it. So, this sounds pretty damning at this point.

Will it be? I guess we'll see. Just like a lot of things is this just damage in the eyes of the public or is this recording a legal matter that can be challenged. Is it a legal recording? If it's not it cannot be used against him in a criminal case.

We've got about a year and a half to find out. They better hurry if they want to go after him for this before the election. Or will this just on the face of it harm his election chances.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it a legal recording? If it's not it cannot be used against him in a criminal case.
You mean if it's illegal, it can't be used (much the same, but a bit of difference - it took me a minute to understand what you meant by a "legal recording")? If he had the expectation of privacy in a two-party state, then it may not be admissible. Yeah, but right now, we just don't know.

It's interesting, though. Who leaked the info?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And now, there are more tapes! Evan Corcoran, the lawyer who had overseen the return of the Mar-A-Lago documents, has turned over his lawyer notes-to-self voice memos to the special counsel. Ordinarily, notes such as these would be strictly prohibited due to client-attorney privilege, but Donald may have messed that up by lying to his lawyers and involving them in illegal activities (in this case, obstruction of justice) as unwitting accomplices.

Trump Lawyer’s Notes Could Be a Key in the Classified Documents Inquiry

M. Evan Corcoran recorded recollections of his legal work last year for Donald Trump. The recording is now in the hands of prosecutors, unnerving some aides to the former president.
...A recording like the voice memo Mr. Corcoran made last year — during a long drive to a family event, according to two people briefed on the recording — is typically shielded by attorney-client or work-product privilege. Some details of the notes were reported earlier by The Guardian.

But in March, a federal judge ordered Mr. Corcoran’s recorded recollections — now transcribed onto dozens of pages — to be given to the office of the special counsel Jack Smith, who is leading the documents investigation.

The decision by the judge, Beryl A. Howell, pierced the privilege that would have normally protected Mr. Corcoran’s musings about his interactions with Mr. Trump. Those protections were set aside under what is known as the crime-fraud exception, a provision that allows prosecutors to work around attorney-client privilege if they have reason to believe that legal advice or legal services were used in furthering a crime.

Upvote 0

Say it aint so

Jun 19, 2020
Seattle
✟118,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
And now, there are more tapes! Evan Corcoran, the lawyer who had overseen the return of the Mar-A-Lago documents, has turned over his lawyer notes-to-self voice memos to the special counsel. Ordinarily, notes such as these would be strictly prohibited due to client-attorney privilege, but Donald may have messed that up by lying to his lawyers and involving them in illegal activities (in this case, obstruction of justice) as unwitting accomplices.

Trump Lawyer’s Notes Could Be a Key in the Classified Documents Inquiry

M. Evan Corcoran recorded recollections of his legal work last year for Donald Trump. The recording is now in the hands of prosecutors, unnerving some aides to the former president.
...A recording like the voice memo Mr. Corcoran made last year — during a long drive to a family event, according to two people briefed on the recording — is typically shielded by attorney-client or work-product privilege. Some details of the notes were reported earlier by The Guardian.
But in March, a federal judge ordered Mr. Corcoran’s recorded recollections — now transcribed onto dozens of pages — to be given to the office of the special counsel Jack Smith, who is leading the documents investigation.
The decision by the judge, Beryl A. Howell, pierced the privilege that would have normally protected Mr. Corcoran’s musings about his interactions with Mr. Trump. Those protections were set aside under what is known as the crime-fraud exception, a provision that allows prosecutors to work around attorney-client privilege if they have reason to believe that legal advice or legal services were used in furthering a crime.
This is what happens when lawyers have clients like Trump. They see it mandatory to keep recorded self memos if they later need to defend themselves against Trump's lies or his penchant of not paying them. I remember reading where one lawfirm hired by Trump, where they had a standing rule when they meet with Trump they never do it alone, because Trump's penchant to tell one story and then another completely different story about the same thing. Now it's so bad the Trump team of lawyers probably keep recorded self memos to defend themselves from each other.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
WAPO
Moreover, it's clear indication of Trump's state of mind given retention and refusing to relinquish classified documents.

Yeah he bragged about having them....

I'm not sure what that means regarding their classification. But dear lord....if bragging were a crime....he's definitely guilty.

Did he share the information with someone?

Upvote 0

Say it aint so

Jun 19, 2020
Seattle
✟118,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Yeah he bragged about having them....

I'm not sure what that means regarding their classification. But dear lord....if bragging were a crime....he's definitely guilty.

Did he share the information with someone?
You miss the point. If Trump's defense is "I declassified everything I brought home with me". Then admits on tape that he had something he would show others but can't because its classified, then it upends the declassification claim.

Last edited:
Upvote 0