la jolla
✟27,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Not sure if this is allowed or if this question is in the proper place. Forgive me if it's not and take it down.

I have something that's been bothering me. Can anyone tell me why the Lutheran view on the Lord's supper wrong? I've been talking to a couple of Lutheran's and they say it is His body and blood but it isn't. It's very confusing.

They said the Greek text is not communicated like any other of Jesus' compartive teachings. It rather is a command likened unto his command of Baptism.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,924,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Tania11, the Lord's Supper, known also as the Eucharist in Catholic, Lutheran and some Anglican circles, is definitely a hot topic.

The problem with Transubstantiation (Catholic) and Consubstantiation (Lutheran) is that both teach the real, "physical" presence of the Lord in the elements of the Supper. Calvin taught that the Lord was really/truly present in the elements of the Supper, but that His presence is "spiritual", not "physical".

The reason for that is that Jesus remains both fully God and fully human today in Heaven, and human beings (unless you're Luke Skywalker, of course ;)) cannot exist in two or more locations at the same time. Therefore, Calvin taught that Jesus' body and blood remain with Him in Heaven.

The RCC saw the problem, and the doctrine of ubiquity was formulated to solve it (which is why they typically refer to the Lord's Supper as the "Eucharist").

Hope that helps!

--David
p.s. - just FYI, many Calvinists today follow either 1. Calvin, by holding to the real, ~spiritual~ presence of the Lord in the Supper, or 2. Zwingli, who taught that the body and the blood in the Supper is symbolic only (IOW, that there is no real presence of the Lord in the Supper, neither physical nor spiritual).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tania11

Jan 30, 2020
la jolla
✟27,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
@St_Worm2
Is this a normal view for Lutheran's? Have you come across this when interacting with Lutheran's? I thought it was extreme behavior but the Lutheran moderator to the site liked his post. I used to think they were friendly and cordial to the Reformed crowd.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200628-150644~2.png
    Screenshot_20200628-150644~2.png
    977.9 KB · Views: 36
Upvote 0