Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟18,973.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
As a teacher, I know what it is like to teach a lesson but sometimes struggle with learning them! I have many lessons that I have been "taught" by the Lord. He has guided me to understand His will in times when I have never thought it was possible. There are also times I can look back now and see that a lesson has been learnt. I thought that I would share some of them here and if you want to, you can too.
4.gif

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟18,973.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose. Philippians 2:12-14

I am the queen of self help books. You can leave me at a book shop for hours and I will be perfectly content. You will find me in weight loss or self help book section. Yes, I have read it all or, at the very least, bought the book in the hope that I will read it and find the answer. From Joel Osteen to Dr. Phil and breaking bad habits to confessions of a reformed dieter, I have been there done that. Of course none of it worked and so I am still reading. You see I can only help my self to more coffee and chocolate (which is awesome as my current work place is Swiss and there is plenty of both).

Of course I also buy the same types of books when I enter a Christian bookshop. There is plenty of ways to work out your faith if you haven't yet and I just can't stay away from these books. Yet the other night, whilst reading my devotional book, I found out that I was not agreeing with the opinion of the writer. So I started to have an argument with my kindle. Of course the kindle refused to see my point of view but it still didn't stop me from expressing it (it is one of the joys of being single that you don't get weird looks when you do such things).

Now there are plenty of writers out there I love and I enjoy my morning walk to work whilst listening to Joyce Meyer on my Ipod. But there is a time when we have to start implementing our faith in a way that is real and eternal. Paul spoke to the Philippians about it and it is something God is also speaking to me. I am quick to buy another book and listen to another author when what God really wants is us focusing on His word and working with Him on the finer details of our lives. It is good to be encouraged by others but not even Paul could give the Philippians answers to every possible situation that they faced. He reminded them to continue working on their faith with a humble heart. For it is the Lord that provides the answers to every aspect of our lives.

So the other day I managed to select only 3 Christian books at the book stand (dwindled down from about a possible 10) and then still leave with none of them. I am learning that the answers and wisdom I seek should be first sought from the Lord and then if He directs my path to a book or an encourager of my faith I will embrace it.

Upvote 0