Lord have mercy. My mom was diagnosed with cancer.

Andrei D

Feb 13, 2018
Charlotte, NC
✟76,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am ambivalent about sharing this. On the one hand I am struggling to cope with my feelings about it. It happened very recently and serendipitously, so I thought everything was going to be fine, but with each new test, the situation seems to be worse. We still don't know much about the exact staging and treatment plan - we will find out Monday or Tuesday.

On the other hand, I am even having trouble praying. I don't know how. I don't know about asking for prayer either. I've always had difficulty asking that. In these situations (and whenever it was about me) I've had a strong feeling that "Your will be done" is all that is appropriate. But, yeah, now I have an urge to ask. But I can't. I don't know.

The distance, the impossibility of just dropping everything and flying there tomorrow, just compounds it all.

It's not right, it'a all wrong, it's not what it was supposed to be, they were supposed to come over here next week to see their granddaughter for the first time.

Lord have mercy.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I am ambivalent about sharing this. On the one hand I am struggling to cope with my feelings about it. It happened very recently and serendipitously, so I thought everything was going to be fine, but with each new test, the situation seems to be worse. We still don't know much about the exact staging and treatment plan - we will find out Monday or Tuesday.

On the other hand, I am even having trouble praying. I don't know how. I don't know about asking for prayer either. I've always had difficulty asking that. In these situations (and whenever it was about me) I've had a strong feeling that "Your will be done" is all that is appropriate. But, yeah, now I have an urge to ask. But I can't. I don't know.

The distance, the impossibility of just dropping everything and flying there tomorrow, just compounds it all.

It's not right, it'a all wrong, it's not what it was supposed to be, they were supposed to come over here next week to see their granddaughter for the first time.

Lord have mercy.

I'm so sorry. I'll be praying. My older sister died of cancer at age forty-five; a younger sister at age fifty-two. My husband at age sixty-two. My mother lived to be ninety-three.

God gives us strength and comfort.

2 Corinthians 1
3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.

Know that God will help you.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Lord have mercy.
Lord have mercy!

It can certainly be a roller coaster for the emotions, and spiritually. You, your mother, you family - have my prayers.

Never feel badly about asking.

Praying for you all.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟981,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think I understand what you mean, but still surely it doesn't hurt to ask for prayer and just an acknowledgement from others that they care about a bad situation such as this one.

I am sorry this has happened to you and your family, especially your mother. God's will be done, as you say, but nevertheless I pray that her pain is minimized and your family and friends and anyone else who knows and loves your mother find peace of mind in this trying time.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Naturally your confused, that's perfectly normal. But don't give up on prayer, it's not that hard, God I need help will do. Take it one step at a time and when it happens, and it will, when it comes to mind the good things in your life, don't forget to be grateful. It makes all the difference, and God be with you in these trying times.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lord, have mercy!

I am so sorry you and your family have to go through all of this. Having had a few close members of my family deal with cancer, I know that nothing about it is easy for any of the family. I pray that God’s is with you all, gives you strength, and surrounds you with those who will support you.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
May the Lord guide, guard, keep, and bless you all, Andrei! The Lord is a healer, a Savior, a God of life. May He refresh and renew your mother and erradicate the affliction of cancer from her life. Lord have mercy!

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lily76_

Pray for the Persecuted
Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
scotland
✟466,325.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
hi there am sorry to hear that your mother has cancer my mother had cancer and beaten it and is well but i no longer in contact to her due to issues around my childhood
i pray that your mother is healed keep positive dont start reading things about the cancer as it will only make you worry and sometimes its not helpful to read things about an illness online better to hear that from someone who is qualified to talk about it

praying for you and your family

Reactions: Anhelyna
Upvote 0

Andrei D

Feb 13, 2018
Charlotte, NC
✟76,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you all for this.

The news is not good. The chance of cure is infinitesimal, median survival is 18 months, what we can hope for now is that she will tolerate the treatments and stay progression free for as long as possible.

I was really hoping for something a little bit better, but it is what it is...

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟293,971.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all for this.

The news is not good. The chance of cure is infinitesimal, median survival is 18 months, what we can hope for now is that she will tolerate the treatments and stay progression free for as long as possible.

I was really hoping for something a little bit better, but it is what it is...

Andrei brother, what kind of cancer is it?
I pray that God will do as he sees fit and that your mother will find peace.
Is your mama Christian btw ?

Upvote 0