Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...if it runs on gas.

"California will ban sales of new gasoline-powered cars by 2035

LOS ANGELES — California air regulators voted Thursday on a historic plan to address climate change and harmful pollution by moving the nation's largest auto market away from the internal combustion engine.

The regulation will phase out the sale of new gasoline-powered cars, trucks and SUVs in the nation's most-populous state, culminating in a total ban of new sales of the vehicles by 2035. The ban will not prevent people from using gas-powered vehicles or apply to the used car market, but California officials say it will dramatically cut the state's climate-warming emissions and famously dirty air by speeding the transition to electric vehicles.

"California now has a groundbreaking, world-leading plan to achieve 100% zero-emission vehicle sales by 2035," said the state's governor, Gavin Newsom. "It's ambitious, it's innovative, it's the action we must take if we're serious about leaving the planet better off for future generations."

The regulation, which was approved by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) in a Thursday vote, could have massive repercussions for the country's auto-manufacturing industry and the broader fight against climate change."

California will ban sales of new gasoline-powered cars by 2035

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟424,731.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The regulation, which was approved by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) in a Thursday vote, could have massive repercussions for the country's auto-manufacturing industry and the broader fight against climate change."
More importantly, the freedom to go where you please.
The new electric cars will all be self-driving, and
the computers will be remotely accessible. Wait until
people try to program in a destination and are told,
"that is not an available option"

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"You can have my [car] when you pry it from my cold, dead hands...!"
full

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
"You can have my [car] when you pry it from my cold, dead hands...!"
full
I just keep putting one foot in front of the other...
Galatians 5:25 If we live in the Spirit,
let us also walk in the Spirit.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
...if it runs on gas.

"California will ban sales of new gasoline-powered cars by 2035

LOS ANGELES — California air regulators voted Thursday on a historic plan to address climate change and harmful pollution by moving the nation's largest auto market away from the internal combustion engine.

The regulation will phase out the sale of new gasoline-powered cars, trucks and SUVs in the nation's most-populous state, culminating in a total ban of new sales of the vehicles by 2035. The ban will not prevent people from using gas-powered vehicles or apply to the used car market,

Can't they simply go to another state to buy a car and drive it back to CA at that point?

Will it make the used car market in CA boom like nothing else could?

Will it drive the current mass exodus in CA to even greater levels?

The California Exodus Explained

"We have also kept track of reasons why businesses are choosing to leave California. Typically, they give significant praise to their new home cities, complimenting them for their “business-friendly” environment, which is clearly throwing shade at California’s failure in being a business friendly state."

"A study by the Milken Institute showed Silicon Valley’s status as a hub of business has been dropping in recent years. San Jose dropped from fifth to 22nd place over the span of a year, while San Francisco plummeted from first to 24th. Also, manufacturing is now considered impossible in California. Manufacturing needs cheap land, water, and electricity, and California has none of the above."

"In a 2019 Berkeley IGS poll, they looked at reasons why people are considering leaving the state. For younger people wanting to leave the state, the high cost of housing is their main complaint with California. For older people, they complain more about the state’s high taxes and the state’s political culture. The state’s political culture reason is the most common reason cited by conservatives."
I was born in CA - I would never choose to go back to CA to live, though I have visited a number of times since I left. And I have assisted family members who wanted to leave the state.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
The regulation will phase out the sale of new gasoline-powered cars, trucks and SUVs in the nation's most-populous state, culminating in a total ban of new sales of the vehicles by 2035. The ban will not prevent people from using gas-powered vehicles or apply to the used car market, but California officials say it will dramatically cut the state's climate-warming emissions and famously dirty air by speeding the transition to electric vehicles.

A similar argument was used 100 years ago about phasing out the horse & buggy. The stables would go out of business, the buggy makers, the manure pick up people would all be out of jobs. The streets wouldn't smell like horse excrement anymore, on and on. Now, we're phasing out internal combustion engines. So?

The argument against some sort of change has been essentially the same argument with just different objects of argument for as long as man has roamed the earth. Change is the only constant. Or do you prefer the pollution we have now that is not healthy for anyone, least of all our children? Are you really that selfish? In my almost 60 years on earth, I've heard the arguments about seat belts, unleaded gas, child safety seats, the 55 mile an hour speed limit. Can we just stop with the nonsense? Remember, God gave man dominion over the earth as a caretaker, not a destroyer also.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A similar argument was used 100 years ago about phasing out the horse & buggy. The stables would go out of business, the buggy makers, the manure pick up people would all be out of jobs. The streets wouldn't smell like horse excrement anymore, on and on. Now, we're phasing out internal combustion engines. So?
ICEs were an improvement over horses, even bicycles were.
Full EVs are not an improvement over ICEs, except in a narrow niche.
Hybrids have two advantages (if replacement batteries are not too expensive):
  1. they are not too reliant on spotty charging infrastructure &
  2. they do not burn fossil fuels for the whole duration of the trip.
IIUC, the ICE in a current hybrid only recharges the batteries. A better ideal would be for hybrids to have the current ICE mechanical drive (while recharging the batteries) and put the ICE transmission in neutral during battery power.

Upvote 0

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Full EVs are not an improvement over ICEs, except in a narrow niche.
Hybrids have two advantages (if replacement batteries are not too expensive):
  1. they are not too reliant on spotty charging infrastructure &
  2. they do not burn fossil fuels for the whole duration of the trip.
IIUC, the ICE in a current hybrid only recharges the batteries. A better ideal would be for hybrids to have the current ICE mechanical drive (while recharging the batteries) and put the ICE transmission in neutral during battery power.

And the ICE, when running contributes to air pollution. Charging infrastructure will improve as more EVs are on the roads (just like gas stations 100 years ago).

Once again, the only constant is change. ICEs had their day now its time for them to be replaced with updated (and clean) technology. I find it interesting that people in my age range do not remember all the other changes that were "mandated" and the hoopla surrounding them before they became generally accepted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"California will ban sales of new gasoline-powered cars by 2035...
:bee:
I Wish We All Could Leave California (Beach Boys Parody)
The Babylon Bee

Upvote 0