Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I just recently stumbled across this view (or more accurately, had it explained in a positive way). So I’m looking for reliable resources for more study.

TIA

SDG
Seeing as how nobody seems to be responding, can you tell me what you are talking about? I have no idea.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I just recently stumbled across this view (or more accurately, had it explained in a positive way). So I’m looking for reliable resources for more study.

TIA

SDG
Should we be seeing something in your post?
media or something like that?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Seeing as how nobody seems to be responding, can you tell me what you are talking about? I have no idea.
I’m looking for recommended books, articles, etc.

Upvote 0

Aabbie James

Maintain love and truth in perfect balance
Jul 15, 2019
West Coast
✟37,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

TIA
Thanks in advance... my pleasure

I recently read some of John MacArthur's commentary on Revelation 20. That might be helpful. Also, here's a link to a collection of sermons from gracechurch.org related to "end times." In addition to audio or video, many provide the text or pdf of the sermon text...

Soli Deo gloria... Glory to God!

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Thanks in advance... my pleasure

I recently read some of John MacArthur's commentary on Revelation 20. That might be helpful. Also, here's a link to a collection of sermons from gracechurch.org related to "end times." In addition to audio or video, many provide the text or pdf of the sermon text...

Soli Deo gloria... Glory to God!
MacArthur is dispensational. So that won’t help. :)

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I’m looking for recommended books, articles, etc.
Recommended books about what, exactly?

TIA is Transient eschemic stroke
SDG, even with the word millenium attached, refers to some plan of the United Nations.

I don't suppose either one of them is what you were asking about. But I'll look at some of your responders and see what they are talking about.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Recommended books about what, exactly?

TIA is Transient eschemic stroke
SDG, even with the word millenium attached, refers to some plan of the United Nations.

I don't suppose either one of them is what you were asking about. But I'll look at some of your responders and see what they are talking about.
I edited the OP since the last part seemed to cause confusion. :)

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I started a thread here Book of Revelation Explained (Postmil/Reformed) and here Post-Mil Only - Resources

I'm moving toward Postmillennialism considering there is a lot of overlap between Amil and Postmil. I view the millennial period as NOW just like Amil but also see a real, literal golden period at the end of this age. I am currently using Doug Wilson's commentary on Revelation titled "When the Man Comes Around" as a devotional. He's a postmil preterist. I'm also reading Postmillennialism An Eschatology of Hope by Mathison and have The Mission of God A manifesto of hope for society by Joesph Boot. The Puritan Hope by Murray will arrive next week. I am currently attending a Bible study on Revelation from a Postmil Preterist point of view and find it very, very compelling.

I have a bunch of stuff that'll keep you busy posted here: Post-Mil Resources

How Postmil affected missions: Postmillennialism and the Theology of World Missions

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I started a thread here Book of Revelation Explained (Postmil/Reformed) and here Post-Mil Only - Resources

I'm moving toward Postmillennialism considering there is a lot of overlap between Amil and Postmil. I view the millennial period as NOW just like Amil but also see a real, literal golden period at the end of this age. I am currently using Doug Wilson's commentary on Revelation titled "When the Man Comes Around" as a devotional. He's a postmil preterist. I'm also reading Postmillennialism An Eschatology of Hope by Mathison and have The Mission of God A manifesto of hope for society by Joesph Boot. The Puritan Hope by Murray will arrive next week. I am currently attending a Bible study on Revelation from a Postmil Preterist point of view and find it very, very compelling.

I have a bunch of stuff that'll keep you busy posted here: Post-Mil Resources

How Postmil affected missions: Postmillennialism and the Theology of World Missions

Yours in the Lord,

jm
I’m reading Wilson’s book right now. And I’ve read Postmillenialism Made Easy by Kenneth Gentry. Both have been good. And I’m also moving away from the Amil position.

Last edited:
Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I’m reading Wilson’s book right now. And I’ve read Postmillenialism Made Easy by Kenneth Gentry. Both have been good. And I’m also moving away from the Amil position.
There is so much overlap...Postmil makes sense of the optimistic passages of scripture which Amil have abandoned. I mean, to have an apostasy, you have to have an established Christian faith. Amil's idealism often bugged me. Which book of scripture other than Revelation do you use a strictly idealistic, allegorical method to read and understand it? None.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Off topic --
This is why I have never really considered Reformed Theology a systematic theology in itself. It allows all sorts of study and considerations of things. It is adamant about only a solid core of things. Considering that McArthur is dispensational (although I doubt he goes as far as to say that in the OT Salvation was by other means)....

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Off topic --
This is why I have never really considered Reformed Theology a systematic theology in itself. It allows all sorts of study and considerations of things. It is adamant about only a solid core of things. Considering that McArthur is dispensational (although I doubt he goes as far as to say that in the OT Salvation was by other means)....
Covenant theology is the overriding principle, God's glory the driving hermeneutic, it's the most basic manner in which to handle scripture.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Covenant theology is the overriding principle, God's glory the driving hermeneutic, it's the most basic manner in which to handle scripture.
Perhaps by coincidence or indirect result, not by method; that is, it seems to me one need not think in terms of "Covenant Theology". I avoid it, because of the assumptions that come of it, both in my mind and the mind of others. I don't check my thoughts and words to see if they fit with Covenant Theology. I DO check with Omnipotence, Sovereignty, God's Purpose, and of course, the huge difference between God and man, and check everything against Scripture, to the best of my understanding. I also check with good sense and logic.

To me, that makes me 'Reformed' --at least more than it makes me anything else. And that is how I see my Reformed brothers as well. When I talk with them, I never hear them say, "But Covenant Theology says....." in opposition to what I or someone else says.

Also, I don't try to read God's glory into every verse or passage. I do try to read every verse or passage in the light of all other Scripture. No doubt, my assumptions concerning God's glory color my reading --that is pretty much unavoidable, just as is so with any other things I believe about God, not to mention my experiences in life and my worldview. The same is true for everyone else.

This is probably a good place to mention something that has bothered me for years, and please forgive the soapbox: Too often I hear things like, "The Spirit told me this morning as I was reading", or "Now I finally understand what it means", or "but the Confessions say (or some esteemed theologian or some preacher says)", or "This [new thought] is what it is all about". Thanks, yes, I do feel better now....

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Heaven Misplaced by Wilson is on my list but I have a small stack I must get through first. Let me know what you think of When the Man Comes Around.

Upvote 0