Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I had a potato & leek veloute the other night that was ridiculous.
https://petitlouis.foremanwolf.com/hubfs/Petit Louis/MENUS/PL_Xmas.pdf

Most of the recipes I see online are pretty similar, so you might have to play with it to figure out how to really send it over the top. The chef/owner at this restaurant always has great soups at her places and I think a lot of what does it for her is using a good finishing oil.

• Informative
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Still looking. I’ll let you know what I decide on. But open to ideas from all of you. :)

I sense your looking for something different than the Italian and other familiar food you have in the Holidays.... If so, maybe try something East European?

The Hungarians do lots of interesting things when it comes to soups. This one caught my eye when I googled Hungarian soup, kind of looks like a number of my favorite dishes like paprikosh, stroganoff etc. but in a soup! I noticed some other interesting soups when I scrolled down on this food Blog as well...

Hungarian Mushroom Soup with Fresh Dill

hungarian-mushroom-soup-15.jpg

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Still looking. I’ll let you know what I decide on. But open to ideas from all of you. :)

Shorabit Adas (Syrian Lentil Soup)
Serves 8

Ingredients
  • 2 cups lentils
  • 1 cup uncooked rice
  • 2 tablespoon butter or olive oil
  • 3–4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 8 cups water or stock
  • 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 2–3 bouillon cubes
  • 2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1 pinch saffron threads
  • 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
  • 5 medium carrots, chopped and cooked
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • Salt to taste
  • Handful of chopped parsley (optional)
  • 1 or 2 lemons, cut into wedges (optional)
Directions
Wash and drain lentils and rice.

In a large pot, heat the butter or oil, then sauté the garlic and onions until tender and slightly golden, about 7 minutes.

Add the rice, lentils, and remaining ingredients except for the carrots, lemon juice, parsley, and salt. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer gently until ingredients are very tender, approximately 45 minutes. Stir occasionally, adding more liquid if it gets too thick.

Once the rice and lentils are soft and tender, remove from heat.

For a smoother consistency, you can puree the soup using an immersion blender. If you don’t have an immersion blender, use a food processor or countertop blender to puree the soup in small batches, being very careful not to burn yourself, then return to the pot.

Stir in the carrots, lemon juice, and salt. The soup will be thick, so add water as necessary for your desired consistency.

Serve the soup hot in bowls garnished with lemon wedges and chopped parsley. Goes well with thick flatbread or warm, crusty bread.

Yummy!

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I’m big on seafood but that’s very expensive this time of year in my area. But I will be looking at your recipes. Thank you! :)
We make a corn chowder in the wintertime that includes surimi as the seafood so it's inexpensive. It's also very easy to make.

4 T butter
1/2 C chopped onion
4 T flour
32 oz. chicken broth or stock
2 C corn, pureed
2 C corn, left whole
8 oz. surimi, flake style, chopped
2 C heavy cream
1/2 T salt
1/2 T Old Bay seasoning

In a large pot sauté the onion in the butter. Add the flour and mix. Add the chicken broth and stir until thickened. Add the remaining ingredients, bring it to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Refrigerate overnight if desired to blend the flavors.​

At our New Year's family reunions it vanishes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We make a corn chowder in the wintertime that includes surimi as the seafood so it's inexpensive. It's also very easy to make.

4 T butter
1/2 C chopped onion
4 T flour
32 oz. chicken broth or stock
2 C corn, pureed
2 C corn, left whole
8 oz. surimi, flake style
2 C heavy cream
1/2 T salt
1/2 T Old Bay seasoning

In a large pot sauté the onion in the butter. Add the flour and mix. Add the chicken broth and stir until thickened. Add the remaining ingredients, bring it to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Refrigerate overnight if desired to blend the flavors.​

At our New Year's family reunions it vanishes.
Sounds delicious! Thank you!

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Recipe #1:
Sautee some curry leaves (important, gives a unique flavor), half a finely diced onion, some chilli flakes, salt, pepper in a mix of butter and olive oil till it's all mixed well. Then add to ground lamb, form patties and sautee in butter olive oil mix.

Recipe #2:
Add diced 1 medium roma tomatoe (not salad tomatoe, too watery), some curry leaves, some cayenne powder, some turmeric powder, some curry powder, salt to a medium pot with 4-5 tbsp of olive oil and then sautee until it's almost a tomato puree. Add 1-3 lbs of lamb chunks and half a cup water, turn to lowest heat and simmer 1 hour or until dry/thick. Maybe add a almost finely diced yukon potato at the start to thicken. This will work with chicken and goat too. Basically, you're looking for a "dry" thick coated curry...makes an excellent unique appetizer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0