Looking for input here. My society appalls me.

BlankStare

Dec 15, 2020
USA
✟15,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For context, I live in the USA, and the more I read and learn about God the more I don't want to be part of this society or even this world. I searched for some place to try to get the opinions of other people about this topic and found this forum. I just want to see what others out there think of this. Am I the crazy one?

For many many years, before I got saved even, I have not agreed with the bulk of the way my society lives, acts, and seems to be headed in general. But now that I am studying the bible and Jesus's teachings I have an even stronger repulsion towards my society and the things its trying to push. Every where I turn all I see is people that refuse to acknowledge truth. Everything is all transgender, sexualization of anything and everything, rampant abortion, extreme fornication, normalization of drug abuse, normalization of inappropriate contentography, LGBTQIA~ agenda, (insert depraved act) "It's my right to do whatever I want whenever I want" sort of mentality and it just absolutely disgusts me. Just for example, go to Yahoo.com and simply scroll down the main page and look at the articles headlines. Its 90% debauchery, "my 6 year old son is a girl now, "she" made this choice all on her own" or "so and so poses nude for instagram, what a hero" or "this person was having a hard time so she turned to OnlyFans to make ends meet and now shes being shamed...what an outrage!" I could go on. It just feels like the entire world has gone completely insane and flown off the deep end. My point is the USA, as far as I'm concerned, is the modern equivalent to Sodom and is just begging to be annihilated. I don't want anything to do with this place and I don't know what to do about it. Doesn't anyone out there have ethics or morals or even just basic modesty anymore? Even in christian circles I see people that dwell in adultery and they claim they don't see the issue with it. I understand that we are all broken and are all sinners but to follow Christ means to repent and CHANGE your behaviour. Not even my own family members that claim to be christians live a repentant life. They just continue to do whatever sin they feel like as if it doesn't matter. I feel alone in an insane world.

BlankStare

Dec 15, 2020
USA
✟15,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Be in the world but not of the world...

Be a light in the darkness...

We are not here long - better things to come.

Are you in good fellowship ???
I am starting for form friendships with people at the church I have been attending for the past few months. It takes a long time, everyone is so busy with things.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
For context, I live in the USA, and the more I read and learn about God the more I don't want to be part of this society or even this world. I searched for some place to try to get the opinions of other people about this topic and found this forum. I just want to see what others out there think of this. Am I the crazy one?

For many many years, before I got saved even, I have not agreed with the bulk of the way my society lives, acts, and seems to be headed in general. But now that I am studying the bible and Jesus's teachings I have an even stronger repulsion towards my society and the things its trying to push. Every where I turn all I see is people that refuse to acknowledge truth. Everything is all transgender, sexualization of anything and everything, rampant abortion, extreme fornication, normalization of drug abuse, normalization of inappropriate contentography, LGBTQIA~ agenda, (insert depraved act) "It's my right to do whatever I want whenever I want" sort of mentality and it just absolutely disgusts me.
you forgot to complain about civil rights and interracial marriage.

Just for example, go to Yahoo.com and simply scroll down the main page and look at the articles headlines. Its 90% debauchery,
lets test that out. Here are the headlines on Yahoo.com right this minute:

Democrats and Republicans are showing some rare unity in trying to get a stimulus and relief bill passed despite President Trumps opposing any such relief measures.

A football player's career is ending

Team Trump is working on some new plans to overturn the election. (That is pretty disgusting)

Trump is golfing..again

A hate group is going after gay owned business

MAGA marchers have descended on Washington committing assaults with knives and committing arson.
(plenty of examples of "It's my right to do whatever I want whenever I want" )

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am starting for form friendships with people at the church I have been attending for the past few months. It takes a long time, everyone is so busy with things.

If it comes across that you think most of them are phony Christians who don’t take sin seriously enough that kind of
dampens their willingness to speak with you.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

If you expect everyone to conform to your particular worldview, then, yes, to be frank, that is not a healthy perspective to have. And I'm the minority in my area of the U.S., but I'm not so cynical or angry based on my worldview that I would suggest that the country should just be burnt to the ground and restructured or anything even resembling that (which is arguably what Christian eschatology tends towards)

For many many years, before I got saved even, I have not agreed with the bulk of the way my society lives, acts, and seems to be headed in general. But now that I am studying the bible and Jesus's teachings I have an even stronger repulsion towards my society and the things its trying to push. Every where I turn all I see is people that refuse to acknowledge truth.

What you believe to be truth seems to be more Truth in that it's more polarizing and suggesting that people are in denial without actually having a civil discussion with them about why you feel they are wrong, which is the sign of being mature and rational rather than simply reactionary

Everything is all transgender, sexualization of anything and
everything, rampant abortion, extreme fornication, normalization of drug abuse, normalization of inappropriate contentography, LGBTQIA~ agenda, (insert depraved act) "It's my right to do whatever I want whenever I want" sort of mentality and it just absolutely disgusts me.

Trans visibility is hardly some evil, and I'd love to see how you can perceive sexualization with everything. Are you of the opinion that drag queens reading stories to kids in a library (which I hope will be able to happen more regularly, assuming it's been kind of restricted in the present situation) is somehow sexualizing? Because here's something you may not realize: crossdressing, drag queens and trans people all have NOTHING to do with sex, only some people perceiving it as such out of ignorance. Same thing with people being open about their sexual orientation when it isn't the norm: that isn't bragging about sex or anything like that, it's being honest with yourself to society and also encouraging sex positive discussions in a society that is still regressive on that to an extent

Rampant abortion? That wouldn't need to happen if we have proper sex education, which is not sexualization or fornication, because it isn't a guarantee it will happen regularly, especially if we convey within basic reason that sex should be done safely and with rational thought as much as possible, because of the possibility of pregnancy or STIs, same as we should say marriage is not something to rush into because of social pressures

Recreational drugs are not all the same and bringing up people's struggles is not glorifying or normalizing, but taking away that needless stigma so people can admit they have a problem and get help. Not even going into inappropriate contentography, because it's in the same vein of sex negative attitudes where you mistakenly think people are sexualizing everything, rather than it being misperceptions on your part of sex and sexuality being solely a private thing (hint, it's not)

Do you know what each letter in that acronym means? Do you actually understand them or do you have a surface level understanding that may be thoroughly inaccurate?

As someone else pointed out, the attitude of "doing whatever you want" is hardly something that is some specific thing, but addressing it is not done constructively by condemning people without an attempt to bring up the hypocrisy in a way they can understand

Just for example, go to Yahoo.com and simply scroll down the main page and look at the articles headlines. Its 90% debauchery, "my 6 year old son is a girl now, "she" made this choice all on her own" or "so and so poses nude for instagram, what a hero" or "this person was having a hard time so she turned to OnlyFans to make ends meet and now shes being shamed...what an outrage!" I could go on. It just feels like the entire world has gone completely insane and flown off the deep end.

Not sure how many people still use Yahoo for news, but cherry picking is not an honest assessment, moreso your pearl clutching that acts like the world is so terrible when people likely had the same attitude 50 years ago in a very different climate for society

My point is the USA, as far as I'm concerned, is the modern equivalent to Sodom and is just begging to be annihilated. I don't want anything to do with this place and I don't know what to do about it. Doesn't anyone out there have ethics or morals or even just basic modesty anymore? Even in christian circles I see people that dwell in adultery and they claim they don't see the issue with it. I understand that we are all broken and are all sinners but to follow Christ means to repent and CHANGE your behaviour. Not even my own family members that claim to be christians live a repentant life. They just continue to do whatever sin they feel like as if it doesn't matter. I feel alone in an insane world.

Oh, Sodom is so vaguely described in terms of things, you might as well just go for the Antedeluvian times instead if you're going to suggest some broad idea that we're at peak evil.

If you're going to change anyone's mind, doing it by this accusatory and polarizing attitude of "us" versus "them" is going about it the entirely wrong way.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was asking myself "Does this guy watch the news, by any chance?" and then sure enough, I saw this:

Just for example, go to Yahoo.com and simply scroll down the main page and look at the articles headlines. Its 90% debauchery
I've said it before on here and I'll say it again:

Once I stopped watching/reading the (so-called) "news", my world became far more peaceful. Most of the reporting is twisted and spun to the point that I can't even know for a fact that it's even true, so why let it pull my heartstrings and mess with head to begin with?

The news doesn't tell you what's going on in the world. The news tells you what the news says is going on in the world. See the difference?

Of course, some will then ask, "But how will you know what's going on in the world?"
My answer: "By living in it."

There's what the news says and what I'm seeing with my own two eyes, and very rarely do the two line up. Guess which 'news source' I'm going to trust? These here eyeballs, that's which one. Besides, if it takes "the news" for me to know about something, it was probably never any of my business in the first place. :)

upload_2020-12-15_5-8-16.png

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
BlankStare, I know. Do about it ?

Looking at Isa 59 it includes what was going on and that there were no intercessors, no one "...calleth for justice, nor any pleadeth for truth:.."

Having the fear of the Lord - which means with reverent fear and worshipful awe of the Lord, we obey His Word.

So think these are the areas we're called.

Armor up Eph 6:10-18

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this? —Esther 4:14

I don't hate society or my life. I'm where the Lord desires me to be. It's my responsibility to drink copiously from the cup of life He's given. If I steep my mind in unedifying subjects I'll be mentally spent.

What should you do instead?

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. —Philippians 4:8

Sometimes I get away from that and remind myself of my assignment and where the Lord desires my attention. Helpfulness can derail me. Others are thrown off-track by curiosity, debate, and similar pursuits.

See where the Lord wants your focus and keep it there. :)

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

For many many years, before I got saved even, I have not agreed with the bulk of the way my society lives, acts, and seems to be headed in general. But now that I am studying the bible and Jesus's teachings I have an even stronger repulsion towards my society and the things its trying to push. Every where I turn all I see is people that refuse to acknowledge truth. Everything is all transgender, sexualization of anything and everything, rampant abortion, extreme fornication, normalization of drug abuse, normalization of inappropriate contentography, LGBTQIA~ agenda, (insert depraved act) "It's my right to do whatever I want whenever I want" sort of mentality and it just absolutely disgusts me. Just for example, go to Yahoo.com and simply scroll down the main page and look at the articles headlines. Its 90% debauchery, "my 6 year old son is a girl now, "she" made this choice all on her own" or "so and so poses nude for instagram, what a hero" or "this person was having a hard time so she turned to OnlyFans to make ends meet and now shes being shamed...what an outrage!" I could go on. It just feels like the entire world has gone completely insane and flown off the deep end. My point is the USA, as far as I'm concerned, is the modern equivalent to Sodom and is just begging to be annihilated. I don't want anything to do with this place and I don't know what to do about it. Doesn't anyone out there have ethics or morals or even just basic modesty anymore? Even in christian circles I see people that dwell in adultery and they claim they don't see the issue with it. I understand that we are all broken and are all sinners but to follow Christ means to repent and CHANGE your behaviour. Not even my own family members that claim to be christians live a repentant life. They just continue to do whatever sin they feel like as if it doesn't matter. I feel alone in an insane world.
Welcome to the reality of the Western world. These times were prophesied in the Bible. The real gospel has been watered down until it bears little resemblance to what Lord Jesus told us to preach. Pastors seem more interested in numbers than in spiritual growth. Mega churches cost mega amounts to run. Pastors can't afford to offend anyone or the tithes drop. So the cycle continues.
There are a number of exhortations for God's people to separate themselves from the "Christianism" that too many subscribe to. Revelation 18:4 is one of them. It does not mean to become a hermit. Pray to find like minded Christians. There are some - Francis Chan comes to mind. He's left the mega church industry. You may find a fellowship that he's founded in your area. They are usually small with a leader who works. They are home based.

You cannot escape from the world. There are days when I have a sore neck from looking up so I don't have to look at the women dressed indecently. We are in the world, not of it. We are here for a purpose. Don't expect the world to change. We are here to lead people out of the world system and to Christ. It's hard work right now. People love their sin and do not want to change. I don't know what it will take to shake people out of their complacency. Maybe a world wide pandemic will get people thinking. I hope so. Ask God to make you a part of the answer and not a part of the problem. Jesus died for the people of the world, no matter how offensive their attitudes and behaviours are. If ever a generation needed the gospel this is it.

Reactions: Lg2000
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Every where I turn all I see is people that refuse to acknowledge truth. Everything is all transgender, sexualization of anything and everything, rampant abortion, extreme fornication, normalization of drug abuse, normalization of inappropriate contentography, LGBTQIA~ agenda, (insert depraved act) "It's my right to do whatever I want whenever I want" sort of mentality and it just absolutely disgusts me.

Haven't you read Romans Be Corinthians?
Have you read anything about the Roman world?

What you are complaining about Paul also wrote about back in the first century.
So what do you do?

You live a life by the highest Christian moral standards, you get involved in your church, volunteering to help where ever you are needed and you live for Jesus.

Be the person at work who doesn't laugh at or tell dirty jokes, gossips about other people, cheats on expensive or taxes, who give 110% all the time.

Jesus talked about hiding one's light under a basket, most people think that means let people know how good you are.
It actually means live and show people by one's life how good you are.

Upvote 0

GDL

Jul 25, 2020
SE
✟105,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For many many years, before I got saved even, I have not agreed with the bulk of the way my society lives, acts, and seems to be headed in general.

NKJ Hebrews 1:9 You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions.

NKJ 2 Peter 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

Imagine how He perceives things. As long as you're getting a handle on your sins also, you've been fortunate to inherently recognize what's going on around us and not be drawn to it. It's natural for the godly to be longing for different conditions, especially the more we study & grow in Christ.

NKJ Ecclesiastes 1:18 For in much wisdom is much grief, And he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.

When we grow in understanding, it's to be expected that we will experience sorrow/pain at what we see in this world. Light is different than darkness, righteousness than unrighteousness / lawlessness / sin.

NKJ Ecclesiastes 12:12-14 And further, my son, be admonished by these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is wearisome to the flesh. 13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man's all. 14 For God will bring every work into judgment, Including every secret thing, Whether good or evil.

I share a perspective that things have indeed been and are progressing downward in the US. The conclusion is simple as is said here. It's the first & greatest commandment. Assisting others - those who care, however few or many - to do the same, is the second great commandment. Stay on course.

Upvote 0

GOD Shines Forth!

Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2019
United States
✟355,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was asking myself "Does this guy watch the news, by any chance?" and then sure enough, I saw this:

Once I stopped watching/reading the (so-called) "news", my world became far more peaceful. Most of the reporting is twisted and spun to the point that I can't even know for a fact that it's even true, so why let it pull my heartstrings and mess with head to begin with?

The news doesn't tell you what's going on in the world. The news tells you what the news says is going on in the world. See the difference?

Of course, some will then ask, "But how will you know what's going on in the world?"

There's what the news says and what I'm seeing with my own two eyes, and very rarely do the two line up. Guess which 'news source' I'm going to trust? These here eyeballs, that's which one. Besides, if it takes "the news" for me to know about something, it was probably never any of my business in the first place. :)

View attachment 290720

Great post, great advice!

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

marc b

Nov 2, 2020
Ottawa, Ontario
✟18,046.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Our job is to be so totally consumed by Jesus, the Father, and the Holy Spirit... that everything else diminishes in comparison. This deep well of joy and satisfaction then gives us the strength to overlook the faults of our society. When we truly understand how deep Gods love is for us, how total is Gods forgiveness of our depravity, how secure is our salvation in Him, and how secure our identity is with Jesus, then nothing will bother us. And we begin to see that our fellow human are acting like that only because they don't have what we already have. That they are still behind the path they need to walk to find what we already found.

For those of us who are a little ahead, we need to give a hand to those we happen to be with. When they are lost, directionless, confused, tired, bruised, we need to give them a lift, a word of encouragement, some provisions perhaps, and some seeds of direction to inspire them to continue the good fight. A lot of times they don't even know this, that is why we just keep helping and planting seeds. It is not our job to make the seeds grow, it is the Holy Spirits.

The key is to see that the other person is struggling to grasp the same truth we struggled. That it's not about our mistakes and deeds, but simply accepting His love and forgiveness and just head home. For those of us who do make it home, someday we will gather around a table and laugh and marvel at how dense and stupid we were in not learning our lesson quicker.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

I'd suggest to find something else to get your knickers in a twist about, like starvation or children in africa living blind because they can't afford an operation that costs as much as a value meal in a fast food joint.

• Agree
Reactions: A_Thinker
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
you forgot to complain about civil rights and interracial marriage.

lets test that out. Here are the headlines on Yahoo.com right this minute:

Democrats and Republicans are showing some rare unity in trying to get a stimulus and relief bill passed despite President Trumps opposing any such relief measures.

A football player's career is ending

Team Trump is working on some new plans to overturn the election. (That is pretty disgusting)

Trump is golfing..again

A hate group is going after gay owned business

MAGA marchers have descended on Washington committing assaults with knives and committing arson.
(plenty of examples of "It's my right to do whatever I want whenever I want" )
You don't see _his_ Yahoo. The algorythm will feed him what gets him mad and clicking.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Because here's something you may not realize: crossdressing, drag queens and trans people all have NOTHING to do with sex, only some people perceiving it as such out of ignorance.

I think it has a lot to do with sex, because the entire point is that they are saying that their biological sex and their gender identity are different. So sex is literally 50% of the equation there.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,501.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There's what the news says and what I'm seeing with my own two eyes, and very rarely do the two line up. Guess which 'news source' I'm going to trust? These here eyeballs, that's which one. Besides, if it takes "the news" for me to know about something, it was probably never any of my business in the first place.

I don't think the answer is to reject the news media.

But a huge part of the answer is to get more involved with one's own immediate world.

My son was small, a pre-schooler, back in the early 80s when CNN first came online, the first 24/7 news channel. Pursuant to my own job, I habitually turned it on every morning as I got myself ready for work and my son ready for daycare.

One day, my son exhibited an intense terror at leaving the house. It was extremely serious. He was truly terrified.

Over time, I learned it was because he had actually been paying attention to the news programs. Understand: News production had changed a lot since I was a kid. When I was a kid, the news was two guys in black and white sitting at desks reading from sheets of typing paper. In the CNN age, there was loud and thunderous music, flashing lights, bright colors, and James Earl Jones making grand announcements. My son was paying attention to all the news of murder and mayhem collected from all around the world and repeated two or three times between the time he woke up and the time we set out for the day.

In his five-year-old mind, all that mayhem must have been happening within his world right outside the front door.

In our real world...that wasn't our reality.

Upvote 0