RENO
✟8,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've missed fellowshipping with brothers and sisters in Christ for too long. I would love to make friends on this forum, and especially find some who would like to share how reading Christian books brings encouragement, nourishment, edification, and a strengthening of faith.
Apologetics, theology, commentaries, church history, and Christian biographies are some of my favorite topics. C. S. Lewis, James I. Packer, Philip Yancey, Eugene Peterson, Ray Stedman, Gene Getz, and George Eldon Ladd are some of my favorite authors. The list includes numerous other names.
The Jesus People Movement is one of my constant studies.

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟399,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I've missed fellowshipping with brothers and sisters in Christ for too long. I would love to make friends on this forum, and especially find some who would like to share how reading Christian books brings encouragement, nourishment, edification, and a strengthening of faith.
Apologetics, theology, commentaries, church history, and Christian biographies are some of my favorite topics. C. S. Lewis, James I. Packer, Philip Yancey, Eugene Peterson, Ray Stedman, Gene Getz, and George Eldon Ladd are some of my favorite authors. The list includes numerous other names.
welcome! i loved Screwtape letters. C.S. Lewis is one of my favorite authors

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome!

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟399,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Hey! Was thinking of you at the book shop and decided to buy "Surprised by Joy" by C.S. Lewis. Let me know if you want to read this, I'll start regardless and trust that if I get a head start by the time you get it we'll both be complete the book at the same time

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

KoinoniaLover

Apr 30, 2023
RENO
✟8,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

@SeventhFisherofMen

This is a great book! I've read it a couple times during the past three decades.

I don't know where we can continue this discussion (the forum's Introduction section is probably not the right place), but I would love to get your feedback as you read it.

@Tigger45 I appreciate you steering me to the Book Club

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟374,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nice, do you read your Bible much? And Do you have local church and ministry?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Great to see you here! Welcome! I look forward to seeing your posts! :)

Upvote 0

KoinoniaLover

Apr 30, 2023
RENO
✟8,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nice, do you read your Bible much? And Do you have local church and ministry?
Not only do I read the Bible, I study it daily. For the past 47 years, I have tried to read through the Bible at least once each year. Commentaries have aided greatly in my devotions and studies. Many years ago I discovered the Matthew Henry commentary on the entire Bible. As a one-volume reference it is quite useful, despite its being outdated.
Other commentators that have proven insightful are Warren Wiersbe, F. F. Bruce, Gordon Fee, John R. W. Stott, D. A. Carson, James D. G. Dunn, Ralph P. Martin, I. Howard Marshall, and many others. Additionally, my wife and I listen to the Bible being read out loud by a wonderful reader every day. This way, we go through the Bible another three times every year.
My wife and I have not found a permanent local church (or fellowship) yet. We pray constantly that the Holy Spirit will guide us to where we can serve.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

KoinoniaLover

Apr 30, 2023
RENO
✟8,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome. I would highly recommend "The Christian in Complete Armor" by William Gurnell
Yes, this is a great recommendation. I have William Gurnall's classic work in my library. I have read the Introduction and skimmed through other sections, but I've never completed it.
Gurnall was a Puritan-leaning Christian in the Anglican tradition. Setting his works alongside those of John Owen's and Richard Baxter's would give a Christian enough "meat" to chew on for a lifetime. James I. Packer, in particular, built the foundation of his belief system on such writings. Packer's A Quest for Godliness (1990) emphasizes this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟374,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not only do I read the Bible, I study it daily. For the past 47 years, I have tried to read through the Bible at least once each year. Commentaries have aided greatly in my devotions and studies.

Praise God!
Many years ago I discovered the Matthew Henry commentary on the entire Bible. As a one-volume reference it is quite useful, despite its being outdated.
I have used it. Not a lot. Never had much use for commentaries unless they were geared toward the grammar of the Greek and Hebrew. I use to go to the SDA church and they use Ellen White extensively. Why do you think Mattew Henry is outdated?

Other commentators that have proven insightful are Warren Wiersbe, F. F. Bruce, Gordon Fee, John R. W. Stott, D. A. Carson, James D. G. Dunn, Ralph P. Martin, I. Howard Marshall, and many others. Additionally, my wife and I listen to the Bible being read out loud by a wonderful reader every day. This way, we go through the Bible another three times every year.
My wife and I have not found a permanent local church (or fellowship) yet. We pray constantly that the Holy Spirit will guide us to where we can serve.
Praise God! I use to and should start again just visiting churches all over the place. That was very fruitful.

Upvote 0

KoinoniaLover

Apr 30, 2023
RENO
✟8,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praise God!

I have used it. Not a lot. Never had much use for commentaries unless they were geared toward the grammar of the Greek and Hebrew. I use to go to the SDA church and they use Ellen White extensively. Why do you think Mattew Henry is outdated?

Praise God! I use to and should start again just visiting churches all over the place. That was very fruitful.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Why do you think Matthew Henry is outdated?

Mostly because it's about 315 years old. Also, many advancements in biblical scholarship have occurred since its original publication. Overall, though, considering the time in which it was written, Matthew Henry produced an incredible work.

Upvote 0