Indiana
✟936,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Transforming injustice is intrinsic to Christian mission, and that often intersects with politics. But I can understand why some people don't want to hear nothing but politics from the pulpit, as if the gospel were a matter of government policy but not the heart.

I think there is a fine gray line between talking politics from the pulpit and talking issues. I welcome clergy applying Christian principles to the relevant issues of our day. I think that can be done without advocating for a particular candidate or political party.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am not a citizen of the USA so I really can't throw stones at those who helped to put the man in power (I think you get my drift), but I not would stay around a parish where all you ever heard from the pulpit was leader bashing week after week.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is there a "not" missing from your post, Gordon?

There most certainly was a 'not' missing - I hate it when it does not stay where I want to be.... :)

Fixed now and thanks for letting me know...

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeekingServant

Orthodox Christian
Nov 17, 2017
Goldvein, VA
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I recently learned that we had a member who cites the reason for her withdrawal as a lack of public condemnation of Pres. Trump from the pulpit.

That's sad. So, she wanted to be a part of a church with a definite political leaning. That's not what I thought this was about. Call me a baby Christian (which I still am), but I thought we were supposed to pray for our leaders that God gives them the wisdom to govern the people. The parish I attend has only ever spoken about our government in those terms, which makes me more comfortable than in other churches I've attended.

Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,195.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I am not a citizen of the USA so I really can't throw stones at those who helped to put the man in power (I think you get my drift), but I not would stay around a parish where all you ever heard from the pulpit was leader bashing week after week.

I wouldn’t want to be in a church fellowship, where only one topic was preached week on week, no matter what that topic. Stewardship, anyone?

We are slightly challenged in our fellowship in that we teach from a sermon series rather than a lectionary, so there will be some kind of common theme for six weeks or so. However, we manage variety. Even if one of our preachers has a bee in his/her bonnet about an issue, we have have 7 other preachers who can modify matters.

Politics and activism should be important to Christians. Both politicians and Christians are tasked to speak up for those who cannot speak up for themselves.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn’t want to be in a church fellowship, where only one topic was preached week on week, no matter what that topic. Stewardship, anyone?

We are slightly challenged in our fellowship in that we teach from a sermon series rather than a lectionary, so there will be some kind of common theme for six weeks or so. However, we manage variety. Even if one of our preachers has a bee in his/her bonnet about an issue, we have have 7 other preachers who can modify matters.

Politics and activism should be important to Christians. Both politicians and Christians are tasked to speak up for those who cannot speak up for themselves.

Agreed and as Paidiske says above - we should address the issue/policy not the person or party...

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm just saying I can see why, if some people have experienced that, (and I've heard it happens in America), they'd get turned off politics from the pulpit.
What they do is gravitate towards the church/denomination that fits their viewpoint on this question about preaching politics from the pulpit. There definitely has been a widespread trend towards doing that which has been going on for several decades.

But I must also add that it isn't just about sermons.

The church newsletters, national publications, parish education classes, and more are liable to propagate a political view without specifically endorsing a candidate or mentioning names. It is more than possible to accomplish the objective simply by framing the issues in the way that one political party, etc. or the other sees them and has described them in their public pronouncements. Indeed, this is an art that has been very well developed.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,521.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's not always easy to find the right balance.

For example, at the moment in Australia, the single political issue on which the churches are most vocally united is our treatment of refugees. Neither of our two major parties have a stance on this issue which is acceptable from a gospel perspective.

I can - and have done - talk about that from the pulpit. But it would be easy for someone to take that as an endorsement of a particular minor party which happens to have better policy on this particular issue, even if I never mention them, simply because it's so glaringly obvious that they're the alternative.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,521.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
LOL and that particular minor party would love to see the end of the church.

Some of them would. I know very active members of that party who are devout Anglicans. My first curacy was in the federal electorate of Melbourne, and the parish was fairly representative of the demographics of the area.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some of them would. I know very active members of that party who are devout Anglicans. My first curacy was in the federal electorate of Melbourne, and the parish was fairly representative of the demographics of the area.

Interesting I could never get a straight answer out of them up this way in South East Queensland.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I would put off if every sermon was on a single topic, whatever that topic was.
Growing up almost every single sermon had something to do with the evils of alcohol.

Upvote 0