Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Over the last few years I have been moving from the pre-millennial end times framework I was raised on to embracing amillennialism. I feel much more comfortable with the amillenial viewpoint. However, this morning I was reading Micah Chapter 4 and it certainly seems to support a pre-millenial point of view (or, maybe, a post-millenial viewpoint). I have puzzled over this passage many times so would like to find a commentary coming from an amillenial stance to see the logic of how Micah 4 fits into that framework. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The trick to understanding this passage is to use NT definitions for OT terms. Jerusalem = Heavenly Jerusalem. Last days = from the time of Christ's birth until the end of the world. Nations = born again gentiles added to Israel the Church. Spears into pruning hooks = the Sermon on the Mount and those who live according to it. etc., etc.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Over the last few years I have been moving from the pre-millennial end times framework I was raised on to embracing amillennialism. I feel much more comfortable with the amillenial viewpoint. However, this morning I was reading Micah Chapter 4 and it certainly seems to support a pre-millenial point of view (or, maybe, a post-millenial viewpoint). I have puzzled over this passage many times so would like to find a commentary coming from an amillenial stance to see the logic of how Micah 4 fits into that framework. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Hello J R and welcome to CF :wave:
I generally like Preterist Archive because of it's extensive studies on both Preterism and Amill. [which share much of the same views with each other.
[OTOH, Futurism is a whole different "creature" LOL........]
Do a Google search for Amill/Preterist view of Micah 4 and see what show up.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...&ved=0ahUKEwjypJXkrJTkAhUOXa0KHarZDAsQ4dUDCAo

Amillennialism Study Archive - Preterist Archive
Amillennialism Study Archive. ... 4. It believes explicitly in the millennium of Revelation 20 as a complete period of ...... Micah 5: 2 says He is to be ruler in Israel.

The Beginning and the Ending: Amillennial Confusion

Like the Beginning, the Ending of God’s Word has been spiritualized into meaning anything except what it says.

The viewpoint of End Times that prevails in the Church today — both Catholic and Protestant — is Amillennialism, the belief that there will never be a millennial reign of Jesus on this earth.

This view is based on a spiritualization of Scripture...................................

4) What would God have to do to convince us that Jesus is returning to reign for a thousand years?

Repeatedly throughout the Old Testament we are told that the Messiah will reign over all the world from Mount Zion in Jerusalem (Isaiah 2:1-4; Isaiah 9:6-7; Daniel 7:13-14, 18, 27; and Micah 4:1-7). And in chapter 20 of the book of Revelation we are told six times that His reign will last 1,000 years.

5) Finally, how do you explain eternity in an ethereal world as a spirit being when the Bible says we will live forever in glorified bodies on a new earth? (Revelation 21:1-7).

Conclusion
The bottom line is that we need to stop playing games with God’s Word. We need to accept it for what it says — and stop trying to make excuses for it.

Hundreds of times, in both the Old Testament and the New Testament, the claim is made that the writers of the Bible are speaking the Word of God (1 Samuel 9:27 and Hebrews 4:12). If so, then what they wrote must be without error, for God cannot lie, nor can He make mistakes.

I therefore challenge you to accept the Bible for what it claims to be — the Word of God — and I challenge you to believe it for what it says.

And I want to conclude by emphasizing that my challenge to you to accept the Bible for what it claims to be, and to believe it for what it says, is a challenge that comes directly from Jesus Christ Himself. Here is what He is recorded as saying in John 5:46-47:

“…if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

Moses was the one who wrote the book of Genesis. We need to believe what he wrote.

Your Christian faith will have full meaning only when you believe that the universe and the life it contains was supernaturally created by God for a purpose.

And you will never experience the fullness of Christian hope until you start believing the promises of God’s Prophetic Word.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Very easily explained, it's talking about a time when all people will worship God at His heavenly temple. It's a picture of the new heaven and the new earth.

Luther commented on Micah 4:7: "Here is a clear and magnificent passage about the divinity of Christ. For this is the way David used to call Him who was going to sit upon his throne his Seed (Psalms 110). This passage Christ Himself quotes in the Gospel account (Mark 12:36). So also here he calls Him Lord who is going to rule forever over His people on Mount Zion. It is necessary, then, that this be not a physical kingdom but a spiritual and eternal one."

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks guys! All your comments have been helpful. However, I'm still looking for some titles of amillennial-based commentaries I can reference during my Bible study time. Appreciate your help.
If you use Logos, I have the Geneva Bible: Notes. (1560). (Vol. 1, p. 1). Geneva: Rovland Hall. It is hard to read being that old but it surprises me how timely it is and how much I use it.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Here is a article on Micah:
Micah ben Moresheth

The book of the prophet Micah is not written in a chronological order, as Isaiah 28:10 says; Scripture is a little here, a little there – rather like putting together a jigsaw puzzle.

Below are all the verses of Micah, in a sequence based on history, the current situation and from other prophets. Chapter and verse numbers given after each quote. Some verses abridged.

THE FALL AND EXILE OF ISRAEL AND JUDAH:

Listen all you peoples, give heed, so that the Lord may bear witness among you. 1:2

Woe to all Israel, they sin against Me, therefore I will give the Land to your enemies. 2:1-6

I, Micah declare to the Israelites their crimes, your leaders should know what is right, but they take no care for My people, the Lord will hide His face from them. 3:1-12

Hear what the Lord is saying; You were told what is right, just and good and I blessed you.

Now I shall inflict severe punishments and exile on you. 6:1-16, 7:1-6

Israel has been conquered and now disaster will come to Judah, all of the Land and the Temple will be reduced to ruin. 1:5-16,2:1-11,4:9-10 [the Assyrian and then the Babylonian conquests]

The Israelites will rule Assyria, the people of Israel will be like lions among sheep. 5:5-9

Although Israel and Judah have fallen, they will rise again, they must bear His anger until He pleads their case and establishes their rights. 7:8-9 From Bethlehem will come Israel’s King, He is from the ancient past. Israel will be abandoned until He is born to them. 5:2-3a

THE PRESENT DAY:

Now, withdraw behind your walls, you people who live in a protected place, destruction is coming, the ruler of Israel will be injured. Do not trust any mortal, for your enemies may be anyone, but watch and trust in the Lord, He will save you. 5:1, 7:5-7

Many nations are now massed against Israel, they do not know the Lord’s purpose, for he has gathered them like sheaves on the threshing floor. My people will have supernatural strength and many nations will be crushed. 4:11-13

Even now, the Lord is leaving His dwelling place, He comes down and tramples the earth. In that Day, says the Lord, I shall destroy your cities, your military and all your idols. In My furious anger, I shall bring disaster on all the peoples who disobey Me. 1:3-4, 5:10-15

AFTER THE DAY OF THE LORD’S WRATH AND THE 2nd EXODUS OF THE ISRAELITES:

Who is God like You? You forgive the sins of the remnant of Your people, for to be merciful is Your delight. You will be true to Israel and keep Your promises to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. 7:18-20 Let the nations see it and be silenced as they come in fear and trembling from their strongholds. 7:10, 7:16-17 Show us miracles as in the days of Egypt. 7:15

That will be the Day to rebuild and extend your boundaries. A Day when Your people will return to the Land from every place on earth. The rest of the world will become a waste because of its inhabitants. God, shepherd Your people with Your strong arm, the flock that is Your own. They live apart, in a fertile Land, in Bashan and Gilead as in times past. 7:11-14 I will surely gather you and bring together the remnant of Israel, like sheep into a sheepfold. The One who opens the way will go before them, they will break through the gate, with the Lord at their head. 2:12-13

In that Day, I shall gather those who are lost, assemble the dispersed and those I have afflicted. I shall restore the remnant and turn them into a mighty nation. My Presence will be on Mt Zion and the promises made to you and the Land will be fulfilled. All your Lands will be restored to you.4:6-8

Those of the people who survive will rejoin their brethren. Your leader will rise up and lead you with strength and in the Name of the Lord. You will enjoy security, in his power. 5:3b-4

THE MILLENNIUM REIGN OF JESUS:

In days to come, the mountain of the Lord’s House will be established, higher than other hills. People will come to it, saying: let us go to the Place of Israel’s God, that we may learn the right way to live. The Lord will judge with righteousness and there will be no more war. We will all be loyal to the Lord. 4:1-5
THEN THERE WILL BE PEACE. 5:5
Ref: logostelos.info

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Calvin was an amil historicist

Micah 4 Commentary - John Calvin's Commentaries on the Bible

You can read his commentary.

Upvote 0

thomas15

Be Thou my vision
Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2019
Lehighton
✟57,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Finding an A-MIL commentary on any book of the Bible is like falling off of a chair. There is no shortage of chairs everyone possesses the talent to do the actual falling.

But to the OP I think there is a problem with covenant theology with respect to Micah ch 4 (and perhaps Isaiah ch 2) compared to Jeremiah ch 31vs 34 in that it appears that Jehovah gives different knowledge of the heart to the Jews and those of the "nations". This is of course explained by the reformed as the result of Jehovah taking something promised to the sons of Abraham and given to another. In other words, replacement theology.

Last edited:
Upvote 0