✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

I am looking for affordable icons to be used in church. We do not have a lot of money so I am hoping to find some that are under $150.00 a piece. They need to be of fairly large size since they will be placed in the sanctuary. We are hoping for wood or canvas, nothing laminated. We are also looking for affordable stations of the cross. Thank you for your suggestions.

Reactions: Tigger45

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hi,

I am looking for affordable icons to be used in church. We do not have a lot of money so I am hoping to find some that are under $150.00 a piece. They need to be of fairly large size since they will be placed in the sanctuary. We are hoping for wood or canvas, nothing laminated. We are also looking for affordable stations of the cross. Thank you for your suggestions.
I don't know about icons, but relics are not supposed to be sold or bought. They should be asked for and given when appropriate.

You might see about commissioning an icon though. My old parish had some iconographers making new icons. Some big, some small. I have no idea of any cost.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,780.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Consider how long it takes to paint a large icon and whether you think $150 is a reasonable amount. You are basically expecting an iconographer to work for well below minimum wage.
You may be able to come across 2nd hand icons for that amount, but otherwise I think laminated prints are going to be your only affordable option. Nothing wrong with icon prints. A myrrh streaming icon in Hawaii is a print.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Consider how long it takes to paint a large icon and whether you think $150 is a reasonable amount. You are basically expecting an iconographer to work for well below minimum wage.
You may be able to come across 2nd hand icons for that amount, but otherwise I think laminated prints are going to be your only affordable option. Nothing wrong with icon prints. A myrrh streaming icon in Hawaii is a print.
Second hand is fine. I also said that we prefer canvas as art can be printed onto canvas relatively cheaply. The reason we do not want laminated is because of the high gloss and low pixel quality

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,128.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

If I may make a suggestion.
Use an iPhone 14 Pro or a new Samsung S23 Ultra camera to photograph Icons from a Monastery, with permission of course.
Make sure that the image is the best quality the phone can make, or use a very good camera if a parishioner has one to do the same.
Then take it to a company (hopefully run by Orthodox Christians or Catholic Christians) and pay to have the images printed.

In Australia one can have canvas printing done for quite reasonable costs.

Check here

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
If I may make a suggestion.
Use an iPhone 14 Pro or a new Samsung S23 Ultra camera to photograph Icons from a Monastery, with permission of course.
Make sure that the image is the best quality the phone can make, or use a very good camera if a parishioner has one to do the same.
Then take it to a company (hopefully run by Orthodox Christians or Catholic Christians) and pay to have the images printed.

In Australia one can have canvas printing done for quite reasonable costs.

Check here
This is an awesome idea! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟606,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Second hand is fine. I also said that we prefer canvas as art can be printed onto canvas relatively cheaply. The reason we do not want laminated is because of the high gloss and low pixel quality
Check Ebay. I took a quick look and saw plenty at the kind of prices you're looking for.

• Informative
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Indeed. My own icon of my patron saint is a print in a simple wood frame the priest who chrismated me made.

Upvote 0