Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
My preferences include Roman Catholic or Anglican.

There is a local congregation I attended called St Augustine's Anglican Church, and it seems nice. I havent been to any other congregations because I was scared of getting lost off-campus

The RCC & Anglican churches share similar liturgies, Eucharistic focus, & some similar beliefs, but there are also some significant differences in certain beliefs or practices.

Without knowing where you stand on some of these differences, it is difficult to recommend one over the other. For example, where do you stand on the power & authority of the Pope? Do you believe the RC is the "one true church" in exclusion of others? Do you believe in a male-only priesthood? Etc, etc.

Personally, I'm Episcopalian (Anglican) in the US.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My preferences include Roman Catholic or Anglican.

There is a local congregation I attended called St Augustine's Anglican Church, and it seems nice. I havent been to any other congregations because I was scared of getting lost off-campus
If I saw the right website, St. Augustine's looks like a parish that I've give a serious look at.

Reactions: Sharon0110
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I believe that Jesus Christ is the Head of the Church, no excuses. I prefer male-only priesthood.
In that case, you might want to look into this parish or mission of the Anglican Catholic Church of Canada. Hopefully, Mount Pearl isn't too far from your residence to be considered.

It looks like it holds services in a Coptic Orthodox Church building.

The Rev. Fr Fabian Ollerhead, Parish Priest
3 Hemmer Jane Drive
Mount Pearl, NL A1N 4V5
709-364-2316
email

The Rev. Fr. Fred Highmore, Assistant
General Delivery
Bell Island, NL A0A 4H0
709-488-2332
email

Sunday Services
St. Stephen, Protomartyr

Mass at 10:30 AM
Saint Maurice Coptic Orthodox Church
34 Jersey Ave
Mount Pearl, NL

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharon0110
Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe that Jesus Christ is the Head of the Church, no excuses. I prefer male-only priesthood. In regards to one true church, if there's a Scriptural basis I'd believe it.

Ok.

Here is the link to find a church for the Anglican Church of Canada, which is a member of the worldwide Anglican Communion:

http://www.findachurch.ca

Anglicans generally consider Jesus to be the head of the Church, & church polity is typically episcopal. The Archbishop of Canterbury has a place of honor, but does not have the type of power & authority akin to the RC Pope. The church does ordain women, but if the matter is one of personal preference, you could attend a church with a male priest. The church considers itself part of the "one, holy, Catholic, & apostolic" Church, but does not view itself as the only "one true church."

Good luck.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ok...
Here is the link to find a church for the Anglican Church of Canada, which is a member of the worldwide Anglican Communion:

...The church does ordain women, but if the matter is one of personal preference, you could attend a church with a male priest.
That would be the key, all right. Is it that Sharon would merely prefer a male priest, or is it a matter of correct doctrine and the stance of the church body itself?

My suggestion was made with the thought that, in her case, it might be the second of these, especially because all the clergy of St. Augustine's parish (Anglican Ch of Canada) that she's already visited are males.

Reactions: graceandpeace
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think we need more information about the OP's beliefs to see where she would fit best, considering that we have both liberal (ACC) and conservative (RCC and Anglicans outside the ACC) options here.
That would help us, but I'm mindful that Sharon's inquiry was more about locating a good congregation than asking for help in matching all her beliefs with a denomination like we do with other inquirers who come to this forum "looking for a church."

The only reason for the suggestion I gave was that she had made the comment that she "prefers" a male priest. This could be only a personal preference in pastors or (as I thought), it might mean a preference for a church body that had taken a stand for the traditional male-only priesthood. If it's not the latter, we already have her as saying she is interested in RC and Anglican.

Upvote 0

Sharon0110

Nov 15, 2015
✟8,423.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it might mean a preference for a church body that had taken a stand for the traditional male-only priesthood

Yes, that's what I meant...sorry for the confusion! I'm looking for traditional male-only priesthood. This coming Sunday I'll give St Augustine's another try too!

If it helps, most of my beliefs are conservative in nature and stick very closely to Scripture (I'm very wary about churches because I'm a new convert).

Upvote 0

Charlie7399

Apr 24, 2013
Brazil
✟15,920.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Yes, that's what I meant...sorry for the confusion! I'm looking for traditional male-only priesthood. This coming Sunday I'll give St Augustine's another try too!

If it helps, most of my beliefs are conservative in nature and stick very closely to Scripture (I'm very wary about churches because I'm a new convert).

If that's the case I think the ACC is not the best idea for you. Be aware that I'm speaking as a foreigner, but as far as I know the church as a whole is quite liberal, even if some parishes might lean more to the conservative side.

I made a little search and found two parishes affiliated to the Anglican Network in Canada, which is a member of the larger Anglican Church in North America. I think the ACNA as a whole is not homogeneous on the matter of female ordination yet, and I'm not sure what the position of the ANiC is, but they are overall a pretty conservative group made of people not satisfied with the liberalism in the mainline Anglican churches.

If you're interested, the two parishes are the Church of the Good Samaritan (206 Mt Scio Road, St. John's) and St. Stephen the Martyr (10 Pearl Place, St. John's).

Here are their websites:
http://www.churchofthegoodsamaritan.ca/
http://www.ststephenthemartyr.ca/

Hope this is useful!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Almost unbelievably (to me), there do appear to be two churches in nearly the same location with almost identical names--St. Stephen the Protomartyr (Anglican Catholic Church in Canada) and St. Stephen the Martyr (Anglican Network in Canada [i.e. the ACNA]).

Upvote 0