Logan City
✟755,056.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, I've said it before and no doubt I'll say it again, the most outstanding religious figure I've ever met was a married Protestant (Presbyterian, ex-Methodist) pastor with a wife and five sons. I learnt more from him in one consistent stewardship of his parish for nine years that I have in 25 years as a Catholic with probably about seven or eight priests in charge of the parish during the period.

If the Protestants can run churches successfully for centuries with married pastors, I fail to see why the Catholic Church cannot do likewise. Billy Graham was married - anyone want to question his dedication?

My wife attends a Baptist Church with one main pastor and four or five associate pastors. I don't agree with everything the Baptist Church teaches, but every single one of those pastors is a married man, and I think I discern their dedication to Christ.

The Catholic Church already accepts married priests in the Eastern rite and has done for centuries. Is there some quality in Western rite priests the Eastern rite priests haven't got?

Then there's this paragraph in the article -

Reaction to the book, however, did not focus only on the authorship and timing. Its substance gave new energy to a debate that has been going on for decades and will continue because, as the Second Vatican Council said, the general requirement of celibacy for priests in the Latin-rite portion of the Church is “not demanded by the very nature of the priesthood.”

I've said this before too - if the Catholic Church is fair dinkum about reuniting with the Protestant Churches, this is one concession it is going to have to give. If not, forget about it - it well never happen. Not a hope.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Well, I've said it before and no doubt I'll say it again, the most outstanding religious figure I've ever met was a married Protestant (Presbyterian, ex-Methodist) pastor with a wife and five sons. I learnt more from him in one consistent stewardship of his parish for nine years that I have in 25 years as a Catholic with probably about seven or eight priests in charge of the parish during the period.

If the Protestants can run churches successfully for centuries with married pastors, I fail to see why the Catholic Church cannot do likewise. Billy Graham was married - anyone want to question his dedication?

My wife attends a Baptist Church with one main pastor and four or five associate pastors. I don't agree with everything the Baptist Church teaches, but every single one of those pastors is a married man, and I think I discern their dedication to Christ.

The Catholic Church already accepts married priests in the Eastern rite and has done for centuries. Is there some quality in Western rite priests the Eastern rite priests haven't got?

Then there's this paragraph in the article -

I've said this before too - if the Catholic Church is fair dinkum about reuniting with the Protestant Churches, this is one concession it is going to have to give. If not, forget about it - it well never happen. Not a hope.

Honestly, I didn't know that protestants were doing so well... I mean, last time I checked they married homosexuals etc.

Upvote 0