Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
why are you refusing to view slavery as it was historically and instead hold to your emotional imagination of what slavery is? further and worse, why forse me to accept your emotional/imaginative view of slavery and not have a truthful [we are Christians after all] understanding of slavery. Trust me, I am libertarian, I dont think slavery is good, but I also dont react on emotion.
In what way is his view of slavery ahistorical? Your accounts are the ones taking small quotes out of context to make it seem like the former slaves enjoyed slavery and citing statistics without reference as to where you're getting them from. Why should you, as a libertarian, be trusted when you don't even acknowledge your own emotion?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟7,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The whole point of my thread is to show they were not viewed/treated as property.
Then your point fails. The part about how well-fed slaves were was entirely predicated on that they were to be marketed at auction or worked under whips and a gun. That belies your treatise that they were not treated as property (although I am sure that some slave owners were good people in other ways). Look at this quote (from where?) you used:
"To purchase an expensive slave and not feed them, would not give the purchaser a return on their purchase. As owners knew, slaves need energy to work. If you underfed them, then you would lose out on their potential production."​
That is not how anyone refers to family members.

• Agree
Reactions: Gxg (G²)
Upvote 0

Tolkien R.R.J

Jul 23, 2018
Virginia
✟74,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
They were fattened up for market. This is one account which counts as anecdotal evidence, not proof that these slaves were well fed, not that all slaves or slaves in general were.

Is that actually a common belief?

So your point is that slaves on a plantation were better fed than forced laborers in a concentration camp?

I used it once more as a single example that even mistreated slaves were well fed. The factual reasons they were well fed was given on my op. You claimed they were fattened up for market. Once more I must dismiss your emotional imaginative understanding of slavery and and would rather stick to historical slavery. See post 5.

My point is slaves were well fed. See op.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Tolkien R.R.J

Jul 23, 2018
Virginia
✟74,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In what way is his view of slavery ahistorical? Your accounts are the ones taking small quotes out of context to make it seem like the former slaves enjoyed slavery and citing statistics without reference as to where you're getting them from. Why should you, as a libertarian, be trusted when you don't even acknowledge your own emotion?

Your views are not based on fact but your imagination, that is my point. My op was supported with historical facts and many sources of first hand observation including from slaves baked by statistics. You reject what you will not read and instead by faith, accept your own imaginations understanding.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Tolkien R.R.J

Jul 23, 2018
Virginia
✟74,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Then your point fails. The part about how well-fed slaves were was entirely predicated on that they were to be marketed at auction or worked under whips and a gun. That belies your treatise that they were not treated as property (although I am sure that some slave owners were good people in other ways). Look at this quote (from where?) you used:
"To purchase an expensive slave and not feed them, would not give the purchaser a return on their purchase. As owners knew, slaves need energy to work. If you underfed them, then you would lose out on their potential production."​
That is not how anyone refers to family members.

Perhaps you missed it but i never said that because they were well fed [you say for market -history once more disagrees with your unsupported imagination] they were not treated as property. They were legally inherited property, treated humanely. But you would have to read my op that you rejects to to find that out.

Upvote 0

Tolkien R.R.J

Jul 23, 2018
Virginia
✟74,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Daisy Day

Please take one section at a time. Please support your imaginative understanding with anything. So lets start with the first subject. I have claimed slaves were well fed. That it is a common misunderstanding they were near starved. You say they were only well fed to be put up for market. Now lets both support and counter each others basses for our views and see whos is historical, and whos is imaginative.

The Slave’s Diet and Living Quarters

The belief that the typical slave was poorly fed is without foundation in fact”
-Robert William Fogel and Standley L Engermann Time on the Cross the Economics of Negro Slavery

Dey had to feed us an plenty of it, cause us couldnt wuk if dey dident feed us good.”
-Alec Bostwick Georgia Slave Narratives

There is no question that the slave diet was sufficient to maintain the slave body wight and general health”
-Robert William Fogel The Rise and Fall of American Slavery

To purchase an expensive slave and not feed them, would not give the purchaser a return on their purchase. As owners knew, slaves need energy to work. If you underfed them, then you would lose out on their potential production. Slave’s food consumption passed the free man’s consumption of 1879 by 10%. They averaged 6oz of meat a day (1 oz below free whites) and ate a variety of fruits/vegetables/grains. The slave’s diet exceeds the modern [1964] recommended daily intake. Two separate studies concluded slaves eat 4,200 calories a day not including game and fishing. There are accounts of Poor whites who came to large plantations and beg for food from the slaves.

These census data show that on average there were 5.2 slaves per house on large plantations. The number of persons per free household in 1860 was 5.3. Thus, like free men, most slaves lived in single family households.”
-Robert William Fogel and Standley L Engermann Time on the Cross the Economics of Negro Slavery

The federal census of 1860 determined that the ordinary plantation was well quartered with 5.2 slaves per house compared to 5.3 for whites. Since the family unit was often encourages by owners, slave’s families often got or would get, if they married and started a family, a house of their own on the plantation. The slave’s material condition was greater than the northern industrial worker of the time. Scientist, Sir Charles Lyell, said of the slave quarters “Neat as the greater part of the cottages in Scotland.”

The slaves were well provided for”
-Northern Frederick Law Olmsted

Each cabin has as much pine furniture as the occupants desired...bread, meat, milk, vegetables, fruit and fuel were plentiful as water in the springs near the cabin doors.”
-Letitia M Burwell A Girls life in Virginia Before the war 1895 reprint sprinkle publishing Harrisonberg Virginia 2001

• Informative
Upvote 0