United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Easy G (G²);61822809 said:
Those maps are cool. The info on how many members in what states in 1906, then 1936. I've got to read further. Haven't finished. Thanks for sharing. :)

Upvote 0

Redheadedstepchild

Child of God
Site Supporter
Jun 3, 2007
2 weeks from everywhere
✟69,214.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT

I am re-opening this thread after a major thread cleaning. The topic of this thread is topography of religion, specifically in the United States. The thread is not about baseball, Frank Shaffeur, or the posting style of other posters.

Just as a reminder, this is the congregational rule:
Do not teach or debate in any Congregational Forum unless you are truly a member and share its core beliefs and teachings. Questions and fellowship are allowed, proselytizing is not.

In this forum, historically that has been interpreted to be no debating against established EO dogma. This is why there is a separate subforum. However, debate that is not directly related to dogma is not necessarily seen as a violation.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Those maps are cool. The info on how many members in what states in 1906, then 1936. I've got to read further. Haven't finished. Thanks for sharing. :)
The maps are really a trip when considering the ways that evolution in demographics occurs is insightful. Glad to know it blessed you. I'm still going through it myself and processing it.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Easy G (G²);61830404 said:
The maps are really a trip when considering the ways that evolution in demographics occurs is insightful. Glad to know it blessed you. I'm still going through it myself and processing it.

Yes, the jump in numbers in many of the states, and some numbers shrinking in some of the states are fascinating. Thanks again for sharing it. :)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yes, the jump in numbers in many of the states, and some numbers shrinking in some of the states are fascinating.
Some of the ways numbers tend to jump in some areas and then shrink in others makes you consider the issue of immigration/migration - and if others tend to go to certain areas due to the ways that certain ethnic groups may go to states where they may feel there's a bigger representation of who they are....or perhaps being pragmatic by trying to spread to areas where there's more freedom/accesibility for certain things. I had to do a report once on the issue and interviewed a Russian student who noted that many Russians tended to go to certain parts of the U.S due to how other Russians had established themselves in those areas well - and many wanted the familarity and proximity of their own cultures.....whereas others were oddities and wanted to branch out into other places where they may've risked feeling isolated from others because of the misconceptions/attitudes from other people in differing belief systems.

Some Egyptian/Coptic communities have had that - as one member from a Coptic Orthodox community noted to me how he had conversation with someone who was shocked to hear of how there were Egyptians living in enormous numbers in Kansas of all places :) - and when wondering why he never heard of, the person told that individual that most people are trained not to look for it since they already go in expecting that Egyptians don't live in certain areas - and thus, it completely slips their mind even as they look/survey the other things they've been told to expect.

The same happens here near where I'm at, as many Coptic Orthodox were meeting in huge numbers and the church I visited served hundreds and yet you never heard about it in the news - and one of the members noted that the reasons why you rarely hear of it (i.e. the large numbers of Egyptians/service) or see it is because most people assume that those Egyptians - based on how they may dress and cultural stereotypes - must somehow be Muslim.

Thanks again for sharing it. :) _
Not a problem..

Upvote 0