Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
In the new testament it says not to pray with many words

Matthew 6:7
And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.

But why do I keep finding Christians praying as if their many words will be heard.

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That's different. They were babbling and rambling on and saying "many words" for show. You can pray a long prayer to God to get out everything you need to petition, give thanks for, intercession.. etc. if it is from your heart and for God and not men. So no I don't think it says not to pray with many words literally

Upvote 0

PKFox

Child of God
Apr 24, 2017
Michigan
✟20,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This verse is pointing out that we shouldn't pray just to impress people by how long our prayers are. The best prayers, regardless of length, are sincere and from the heart. Sometimes, long prayers can be a good thing if you wanna have a nice, long talk with God. If it's for the right reasons, who cares how long the prayer is.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just talk to God normally. Sometimes, people think they have to talk to Him as a judge rather than as a Father.

In one part of the Bible, it says to avoid "vain repetitions" like the pagans. It makes me think of Bhuddists with their prayer wheels and continually chanting "holy lotus flower" over and over again. It means nothing.

I guess if you are praying, and your mind starts to wander, it is time to say Amen and pray later. That's what I do, I don't know if it is biblical or correct, I just figure if my heart is not in it, I ought not to be praying.

This is all my opinion, only of course. Someone who knows more about the subject can give you a better answer.

Upvote 0

MustardSeeed

Ambivert
Mar 7, 2017
canada
✟40,822.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In one part of the Bible, it says to avoid "vain repetitions" like the pagans.
Yes, your right. The key word is "vain". Not all repetitions are vain IMO. For example, Acts 12:5 "Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him" they kept on praying for intercession/for Peter to be released and God heard and saw their faithfulness and sent an angel to save Peter :) How amazing :D

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, your right. The key word is "vain". Not all repetitions are vain IMO. For example, Acts 12:5 "Peter therefore was kept in prison: but prayer was made without ceasing of the church unto God for him" they kept on praying for intercession/for Peter to be released and God heard and saw their faithfulness and sent an angel to save Peter :) How amazing :D
I think it meant "vain repetition" as saying the same words over and over like an automaton, not meaning anything. Praying without ceasing is not the same thing as repeating the same words over and over.

Upvote 0